What is Drum Corps?

...most good music and great entertainment is produced by dummies....they have no boundaries :P :P :P

Genius! I love it!!!!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said drum corps isn't about teaching. We need to stay on task here. The point is that drum corps is not here to teach kids how to teach while they are members. The instructor should be teaching them to be a better player and performer not a teacher because that is not the nature of this activity. Here is exactly what I wrote. Please take the time to read the post then let it set in and maybe even reread it then reply.

You have to realize that more than half of the kids who march corps are there to learn what they can so THEY can go out and teach a local high school, or possibly a corps someday. What performance major in their right mind would go out and march drum corps? I wouldn't. Not in the myths that it would "ruin chops" or any of that nonsense, but in the fact that I could be spending all of the money I do on corps on trumpets, mutes, music, lessons, on summer brass camps, music festivals, auditions, etc. I could be spending my summer in a practice room practicing, or in a small ensemble or music festival somewhere. But, I chose not to be a performance major, I chose to be a music education major. I chose to march drum corps so I could become a BETTER music educator. That's right, I came to drum corps so I could be a great band director someday. Not only are you learning great music and marching techniques, rehearsal techniques, and drill concepts/design/cleaning skills, you're learning discipline, perseverance, teamwork, accountability, commitment, the list goes on! These are VERY important skills great band directors need...and quite frankly, a lot of the band directors out there right now are lacking many of these skills! That is why drum corps is a great experience for them to gain these skills.

If I were a band director and had some kids who came up to me and said "I want to do something to max out my performance skills!" I would not send them to drum corps. Drum corps yes is a high level of performance, but there are other aspects that are much higher and more rewarding (in the performance aspect). I would send them to a chamber festival, where they could be in a brass quintet which IMHO is MUCH GREATER of a performing ensemble than drum corps. You learn so much in quintets that you could not learn in drum corps, or any other performing ensemble.

So, to answer your question: Yes, I believe drum corps is about both education and performance...but I learn more towards education. If we want drum corps to thrive and live on, the great instructors of today have to teach the members of today so they can one day take over. That's just how it has to be, and I'm excited and ready for it! And here's something for you: look at some of the top corps right now. Who are the people in charge of their programs? College professors/very successful band directors with many "papers" telling them of what they've accomplished in college. Today in the music world if you want to be successful you HAVE to go to school for at least your masters. You BA just doesn't do it anymore.

PS. I'm in a very successful div I corps, and I received a marching award and brass award this past summer, and also placed very high at I&E...and I'm a girl :-) Things are possible!

Drum corps is dicipline in the form of fun. Period.

That's gotta be the quote of the week.:)

And while I'm here, I again have to ask, Devin, what exactly do you think we're doing all day? This is the average day with a Corps depending on if it's a show or rehearsal day....

Breakfast, srtetch and run 45 minutes...

2 to 4 hours of Marching....

lunch 30 minutes to an hour....

2 to 4 hours of Sectionals...(where you usually re-inforce what you did in marching)

Snack if it's a rehearsal day, if not, strait to Ensemble...(more re-inforcment, reload for next day)

2 to 3 hours of Ensemble....

Dinner, Show, Grub again....

Get on the bus, got to the next place, get up never feeling like you had enough "down-time" and do it allllll over again....

Devin, I seem to be missing where we're having tea and crumpets philosophising about the finer points in teaching. We're marching, we're marching and moving, we're trying to get all the phasing out of the show, and balancing, cleaning tics, etc....

However, in the end, if a corps wants to put an emphasis on teaching, teaching and they are still able to knock out a qaulity product in the end, then more power to them.

I am a bit of an ol' drum corps dog, but I can honestly say I think Drum Corps is in a great place. Do I like everything about it? No....but I can't help but see the qaulity the top 12 is producing today. You know it's funny, and just so you don't think I think everything is roses anhd candy,and this is not a dig just dig, Devin, but I thought Drum Corps was kind of suckin' during the time you said you marched.....mid to late 90s. There were some notable exceptions, but overall, very thin IMO.

That's gotta be the quote of the week.:)

Too bad is was typing so fast that I misspelled 'discipline'.

Sorry you did not see the humor B)

Actually, Felix, I believe we are on the same page. Check the 'YES' list. B)

Learning and performance are synonymous. They feed off one another. This is true of anything, including drum corps.

Drum corps is educational. Kids learn so many things--technique, discipline, showmanship, etc--things that they didn't necessarily bring to the table before marching drum corps. The performance we see is the end product of a long learning process.

So my answer to the question is that drum corps is both education and performance.

Oh yeah, and don't let people like thehands and felix bother you. Not even worth it. Trolls only win when you flame back. Believe me, I know. :)

Edited by KingMargeret

Learning and performance are synonymous. They feed off one another. This is true of anything, including drum corps.

Drum corps is educational. Kids learn so many things--technique, discipline, showmanship, etc--things that they didn't necessarily bring to the table before marching drum corps. The performance we see is the end product of a long learning process.

So my answer to the question is that drum corps is both education and performance.

Oh yeah, and don't let people like thehands and felix bother you. Not even worth it. Trolls only win when you flame back. Believe me, I know. :)

That's not very nice to mention in a forum...maybe you need to take your own advice and turn your frown upside down....I am surprised that you wrote this.....I am not a troll,...whatever that is supposed to mean...I think maybe you nedd to develop thicker skin or learn to laugh or both B)