Madison Scouts Marching...

(and I think Matthew Smith can also remember) Chris Harmon and Bill Zeir saying clear today as it was 4 yrs ago,"This HAS to be PERFECT,

everyone and their grandmother can see that this should be a straight line comming down the field,

if you cant get this right, how do you think the rest of the show is going to look like?"

yea any marching member of spirit from this past summer knows good and well that matt smith remembers that one. We only heard him use it once or twice.....a minute.....every day.......alll summer long!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, just saw this picture, and thought this is an excellent example of the different marching styles doing a typical 8 to 5 for their opening set.

I don't really see "different marching styles". It looks more like a lack of uniformity of step and toe height. In other words, the style looks the same, they just didn't execute it together.

However, just saw this picture, and thought this is an excellent example of the different marching styles doing a typical 8 to 5 for their opening set.

I don't really see "different marching styles". It looks more like a lack of uniformity of step and toe height. In other words, the style looks the same, they just didn't execute it together.

..good point..I concur .. still luv those Madison Scouts!

Scouts = Excitement... what a novel concept $$. :lol:

I know that we all have gone over and over on the Madison Scouts performance issue this past year.  And I really am personally upset that they didn't do better.

any thoughts???

Scouts-01.jpg

;)^ ......wouldn't see anything if they were wearing dark pants...strip/white pants vrs black and/or dark pants...can't cover much dirt with the white

Bill

Kilties

B)

Gee. Wonder why most of the top 5 wears dark pants.

Kudos to Cadets on this particular point:)

• 3 weeks later...

Or in judge-speak, "Ok, I'm seeing multiple variations in forward march technique or else just a lack of consistency in execution,"

• 2 weeks later...

Very good points by everyone....however, if their forward step was the same on just the basic 8 to 5, wonder how that would have changed the rest of the show for their marching aspect....(you know, if there were so many different variations on step size, toe lift, knee height)

was just curious as to what everyone thought on this, thanks for the feedback!

I look forward to their return in 2003.

I am a big fan of the Scouts, but their visual program this year was not up to their usual standard from the 90s. I am hoping for a big change this year.

As far as dirt in marching, nearly all the corps have some kind of sloppiness. Forms don't SNAP. It's gutsy for Phantom to be using white pants as well as the Cadets. I was a little disappointed about the Cadets marching this year. It's like they were marching with "restrictor plates" on. SLOWER THAN IN THE PAST! BLAH! Everybody is aware that black pants are very forgiving concerning marching flaws. In all honesty, if I was directing a corps, I would go with black pants for just that reason. Even the Cavies, who are by far the most clean corps out there, botched the last big move at the end of their finals show. Check the DVDs. You will concur.

I have always disliked when the designers have members walk free form from one form to another. It's just plain lazy drill design.

One thing I am crazy about is the way BD and SCV use their unis as a visual impact. I liked Phantom's closer. I loved how the body movements matched the color of the music. However, the use, or abuse depending upon viewpoint, of body movements is getting a little out of hand. Some are plain HOKEY! The Cadets' movements were some of the worst. They don't go well with the mystique of their uniforms. BC's aren't great either. And while we're on the subject of BC, this is to the staff. DON'T HAVE THE KIDS SING WITHOUT SOME VOCAL COACHING, PARTICULARLY IN DICTION AND BALANCE. Just showing them how to form their mouth on vowels and dipthongs would make a world of difference. OY VEY!

Okay, I'm done venting now! :angry:

I have watched the documentary video of the Scouts which showed pieces of shows from 1954-1996, I believe. I could tell a difference even as near as 1996 how much better the execution of the drill, the step, etc. was. I have seen pictures taken at finals from this year and last and everyone's feet and legs are at a different angle. It does look sloppy. I refused to accept this since my son marched 2000-02, to some, some forgettable years for the Scouts. Now that he's aged out, I can be more objective, and they were sloppy.

I'm trying to think that there are good vibes coming from the Scouts new leadership. Only time will tell. The last time the Scouts placed 14th in 1972, they then went 4th, 2nd, 1st the next 3 years. Hopefully history will repeat itself and even if they don't win it all, they hopefully will be back in the top six soon.

• 3 months later...