Subtitles

I think you hit the nail on the head there. That and also, if they judged BD true to DCI scale, they would have to knock down their own corps scores which would just be a slap in the face, totally unnecessary. However, if I were designing BD's show and knew that 1/3 to 1/2 of our performances would be in foreign countries, I would not have picked a show that used all that narration that many would not understand, never mind about a dance marathon that was an American phemomenon. Perhaps, I would have waited one more year to do that show. BD's choice to do it shows me that they are concerned with the American judges only. The audience played no part in their consideration when designing that show. Now, if they had subititles in Italian and Portuguese and where ever else they went, that would be a different story.

Next rule change for DCI, electronic subtitile boards so fans can read the story, like they do at an opera.

Everybody speaks English. Everybody loved the show in Europe!

And I was there...

And about the score: DCEurope announced after the show that it was judged on D2 sheets.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody speaks English. Everybody loved the show in Europe!

And I was there...

And about the score: DCEurope announced after the show that it was judged on D2 sheets.

I wasn't there, but no, everybody does not speak English. Even here in America, everyone does not speak English.

"When you know the notes to sing, you can sing most anything!"

Sky Ryders. (I believe)

Late 80's (I believe)

Yes and yes. I want to say 1987.

I wasn't there, but no, everybody does not speak English. Even here in America, everyone does not speak English.

So after reading that second sentence, maybe you should admit that you're just nitpicking, aren't you?

Or are you up in arms everytime you go into a theater and don't see Spanish subtitles? Or subtitled road signs? Or subtitled signs in your local Wal-Mart?

Blue Devils are an American organization, and here in America we mostly speak English. It's no surprise then that they would program a show in English, just as it's no surprise that essentially every word we read in our daily life is in English. No, not everyone speaks it, but enough do that it makes sense. What's more, a great number of people in Europe speak English as well. And if they don't, the fact that an American organization is on the field should be more than enough to explain the choice of language. It's no different than if a European wants to see an American movie.

(Funny side note: I saw Batman Begins in London. There's a scene where two models are goofing around in a decorative pool at an elite hotel, and Bruce Wayne explains their absurd behavior by saying "they're European". Talk about an awkward moment, being in Europe at the time...)

So after reading that second sentence, maybe you should admit that you're just nitpicking, aren't you?

Or are you up in arms everytime you go into a theater and don't see Spanish subtitles? Or subtitled road signs? Or subtitled signs in your local Wal-Mart?

Blue Devils are an American organization, and here in America we mostly speak English. It's no surprise then that they would program a show in English, just as it's no surprise that essentially every word we read in our daily life is in English. No, not everyone speaks it, but enough do that it makes sense. What's more, a great number of people in Europe speak English as well. And if they don't, the fact that an American organization is on the field should be more than enough to explain the choice of language. It's no different than if a European wants to see an American movie.

(Funny side note: I saw Batman Begins in London. There's a scene where two models are goofing around in a decorative pool at an elite hotel, and Bruce Wayne explains their absurd behavior by saying "they're European". Talk about an awkward moment, being in Europe at the time...)

If I were watching an American movie in Italy, I would expect to see Italian subtitles (or voice-overs). In the history of the Blue Devils organization, they have never, or very rarely spoken anything. Why would they pick this year, spending weeks abroad, to do a show with so much spoken word? To say well, their an American organization so everyone else has to deal with it is just pure arrogance IMO.

525,600 minutes............

"go-hya-ku ni-ju man go sen rop-pya-ku pun"

so nani ooku jikan kakarisoo

go-hya-ku ni-ju man go sen rop-pya-ku pun

dou####e kazoe ra re ruuuuuuu

ai ha dooouuuuuuu dou deshou,

ai ha doooooouuuuu dou deshou,

ai ha doooooooouuuu dou deshou,

ai de kazoeeeeeeeeee RU

(enter hornline)

DA DA DA

that is the most pathetic translation i have ever done.

What about chord progressions? I'd really appreciate if they had a bouncing ball going over progressions as the show went along.

If they gave away chord progressions, then what would be the point of arrangers selling their originals for money. I mean seriously, if you are given the chords, you can just sit there and listen to all the parts and put together who is playing which part ya know. Aural skills in music schools.

And I know the translations to the bluecoats stuff!!!!!!!!

And I know the translations to the bluecoats stuff!!!!!!!!

go-hya-ku ni-ju man go sen rop-pya-ku pun = Lunch sucked to day, huh?

so nani ooku jikan kakarisoo = Ya man, I ####### hate taco salad.

go-hya-ku ni-ju man go sen rop-pya-ku pun = Me too. So, why is BD beating us?

dou####e kazoe ra re ruuuuuuu = Not sure.

ai ha dooouuuuuuu dou deshou = YOWZA YOWZA YOWZA

ai ha doooooouuuuu dou deshou = YOWZA YOWZA YOWZA

ai ha doooooooouuuu dou deshou = YOWZA YOWZA YOWZA

:P