Cost

Traditionally, what have Glassmen's dues been like?

Last year tour fees were $1100 not including cost of camps, shoes, etc. A smart thing that I notice the Cavies and Gmen (I don't know if any other corps do this) do is give a $50 discount for returning vets for every year they march (although I believe the limit is 4 years worth of discounts). Gmen also offer discounts ($50 per kid) for siblings that are marching as well. I'm not too sure if they need to march in the same season or not. Corps also give out early-bird specials to kids who pay the whole fee before January. What Gmen did to keep sticker price low this year was to increase the camp fees slightly. Everything is still reasonably priced considering the trip to Europe.

Funny story that an alumnus told me was that back in the day a farmer wished to put his three kids in the corps. The story goes that the farmer talked to the corps director at the time and negotiated the fees for his kids to cost one of his fattened pigs. So three kids got to march and the full corps got a meal. Nice deal, no? There should still be a record of the transaction at GWest. I don't know how exaggerated this story is but it still is one of my favorites.

Edited by mr.mello

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth...membership fees for new members at Memphis Sound are $1300. If you go to the first few camps and haven't received a contract yet, the camp fee is $50 but once you do receive a contract all the camp fees you paid go toward your membership fee. You also get the "early-bird" special Mr. Mello talked about - if you pay everything within 30 days of receiving a contract, you get $100 off. If you're a vet, you get $100/year off. So if you have been with Memphis since the first year ('03), you could march for as little as $900 (if you pay within 30 days of contract). $25 credits are also applied if your parents volunteer for a camp weekend or if you (or a parent) work the concession stand at FedEx Forum during an event. Plus, we do about 2-3 fundraisers a year. Anyway, I know I wrote a lot but like Mr. Mello said, there are ways corps offer to off-set a lot of costs. :)

The only other costs we have would be gloves (for brass, guard)/shoes/anything else and the housing fee once everydays start. I believe it has generally been around $150 - which includes housing, food, laundry, etc. for that 2-2 1/2 weeks.

*None of this is by far an official statement by MS, but just what *I* remember regarding how things have worked the last 2 years I was there. Just hoping to provide a little insight and support to Mr. Mello's post regarding discounts/oppertunities for costs.

Last year tour fees were $1100 not including cost of camps, shoes, etc. A smart thing that I notice the Cavies and Gmen (I don't know if any other corps do this) do is give a $50 discount for returning vets for every year they march (although I believe the limit is 4 years worth of discounts). Gmen also offer discounts ($50 per kid) for siblings that are marching as well. I'm not too sure if they need to march in the same season or not. Corps also give out early-bird specials to kids who pay the whole fee before January. What Gmen did to keep sticker price low this year was to increase the camp fees slightly. Everything is still reasonably priced considering the trip to Europe.

For a normal fee of 1100 bucks, I'd call a 700 dollar increase just about right for a trip to Europe, assuming they go back to their normal level the season afterwards. And I've heard of other corps like Pioneer and Madison offering similar "veteran's" discounts for their fees as well.

http://www.crusaders.com/crusaders/how_to_join/fees_temp.asp

Just a guess, but this fee now inclues 4 camp fees and the move in fee. Assuming that the camp fees last were were between $75 or $100, I'd say that's pretty reasonable. I'd also assume that with gas at over $3 per gallon around the country, this needed to happen. Will it affect me auditioning there... possibly... but I can still see why it happened.

The camps were usually like $20 for each one after the audition camp, I think. And there were 3 payments of $300. Either way it was much cheaper, but again I'm sure there was a good reason behind it. Hopefully I'll be able to sponsorships this year. I've had to put off the last couple years because of time and money :(

Funny story that an alumnus told me was that back in the day a farmer wished to put his three kids in the corps. The story goes that the farmer talked to the corps director at the time and negotiated the fees for his kids to cost one of his fattened pigs. So three kids got to march and the full corps got a meal. Nice deal, no? There should still be a record of the transaction at GWest. I don't know how exaggerated this story is but it still is one of my favorites.

The story is true. At the Toledo show we were discussing that with one of the family members involved. I'll keep the family name quiet because they were somewhat embarrassed by it, but they were long-time members, and later staff, back "in the day". There WAS a copy of the receipt at the Alumni tent in all the old records on display. :)

The story is true. At the Toledo show we were discussing that with one of the family members involved. I'll keep the family name quiet because they were somewhat embarrassed by it, but they were long-time members, and later staff, back "in the day". There WAS a copy of the receipt at the Alumni tent in all the old records on display. :)

Shh, Bob. You don't want to give any of the current members any ideas-- they could cite "historical precedent."

I would have loved to see all that...too bad I couldn't make it out to the Toledo show for the alumni event this year.

The larger end of the cost of marching would have to be traveling to camps. Now with more people flying cross country to march, paying dues only covers your responsibility to the corps. Even after that, you have to pay to get there in the first place.

This is the real crime in drum-corps finances, if you ask me. The cost of criss-crossing the country can easily approach the cost of tour fees. Worse, it allows talent to self-select, depriving some corps of superior talent while others take more than their share. And finally, it robs the corps proper of badly needed operating funds by diverting donations to members to underwrite plane tickets when that same money might otherwise be buying gasoline.

I know that kids in many parts of the country have no choice but to travel. It's the rest, I'm referring to. And don't give me the "connecting-with-my-drum-corps-family" jive. I'm willing to bet you'd find a family closer to home too if only you'd try.

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.

HH

Edited by glory

last time I checked Crossmen was 1900.

~>conner

thats quite expensive, maybe i wont try out there in 07

Actually, I believe Cadets roughly average $2500-$2750 a year while Crossmen stay hovering around $2000 a year.

From YEA.org:

CADETS ($2583)

1) Non-Refundable Registration Fee

New Members: $90.00

Returning Members: FREE

New Jersey - November 18th - 20th: $90.00

First Camp Fee

December 9th - 11th

Camp Fee: $85.00

Second Camp Fee

January 6th - 8th

Third Camp Fee

February 3rd-5th

3) TUITION:

All Members: $1,789.00

Discounted Fee if paid by February 3rd: $1,520.00

4) Spring Training Fee:

All Members: $399.00

Paid in Full by: May 26th

If paid on or before May 1st: $349

CROSSMEN ($2583)

1) Non-Refundable Registration Fee

New Members: $90.00

Returning Members: FREE

New Jersey - November 18th - 20th: $90.00

First Camp Fee

December 2nd - 4th

Second Camp Fee

December 16th - 18th

Third Camp Fee

January 13th - 15th

Camp Feee: $85.00

3) TUITION:

All Members: $1,749.00

Discounted Fee if paid by February 10th: $1,520.00

4) Spring Training Fee:

All Members: $399.00

Paid in Full by: May 26th

If paid on or before May 1st: $349

~I repeat, both corps pay the exact same fees.

yea.org/site/PageServer?pagename=cadets_programfees

yea.org/site/PageServer?pagename=crossmen_programfees