was drum corps MEANT for pressure?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I marched Memphis, I only flew to the May camp, and then to move-in. If you communicate with them after the audition camp, they're very understanding of the situation. I would suggest marching there; it really is a rewarding experience to start out with a div 2 corps, there'll be less pressure to audition, its a GREAT place to move in (between the best weather you could ask for, and an incredible city to spend time in during some free time), your parents will probably like the fact that there are seperate tours and that you stay in housing sites in the area in between tours (so you're not on the road all summer, and also because being at a home at night is much more conducive to phone calls and whatnot; plus you have access to a computer)...

No brainer in this case...Crown. I marched/taught Div 1 & 2. With parents that aren't gung ho about drumcorps, a full Div 1 tour with Crown tour will probably be much easier to swallow than a few short tours with Memphis and a bunch of local housing situations. This includes driving all summer, and in your case driving (parents driving) many miles.

My suggestion, go local with Crown. I chose my corps primarily based on location (1 hour away) and it was Div 1. I had only marched high school. It was a great situation for me. Save long distance travel for later in your drumcorps career, but I have a feeling you will fall in love with the first place you march (many do) and make a career there.

Good luck.

Go where you want, and feel you'll like, distance is probably a factor that helps crown for you. Plus, it keeps the fees down (transport or almost for camps).

And, if you don't make it, you are not hopeless there are plenty of corps especially div 3 that are always searching for brass players even sometimes up to MAY ...

Plus, talking as a 15-year-old guy that will soon start is third year of drumcorps(will turn 16 in 2006 summer), you will surely love it.

And remember the size of a corps does not necessarely matter. I marched last summer in 35 person corps and absolutely loved it, the family atmosphere was like nowhere else.

Plus, sometimes if you are in a smaller and more local corps tour can be a little shorter and will probably reassure your parents. At least I know it did for mine.

Finally, I must say I probably not the best to give advice on that since where I live (Québec) , there is only one corps in the whole province. So I didn't really chose my corps.

If you speak french or would like to learn there are openings in all section at my corps (Stentors). But, it is probably to far away for you...

Sam

Connor, coming from someone who has ended up marching two corps I had no original intentions for, and not actually joining until May, these things seem to work themselves out in the end. Don't stress about it. Like so many have said before... where there's a will, there's a way.

Edited by Carl306

go to crown and if it doesnt work out, i'm sure memphis sound would love to have you... if your friend thinks you can make crown, but they just turn out to have too many vets to get a spot there... i'm sure you would be good enough to compliment memphis sound very nicely... woot

Memphis Sound does a full summer tour, not a go out on the road come off the road wait a while and go back tour. Tours were divided up by a few #### days in Memphis rehearsing. The only off time was four days in the middle of July. Very much a corps that takes on the responsibility of a full tour. The only local housing situation was at the beginning of the summer during everydays, but this year the whole corps will be housed at Christian Brothers University in Memphis, TN. Don't worry about the tour situation. You'll find it quite nice :)

I know the pressure, with the Troopers not marching this year, the only choice I have is Blue Knights. All of the other corps are at least 500 miles away (rough estimation). If I don't make BK...There's pretty much no chance for me to march.

Like Tplaya1 said, Memphis definitely does a "full" tour - 28 shows this last season. My first year, there were 2-3 times during the summer where we would come back to Memphis for a few days in between tours (which lasted about 2 weeks each, 3 tours total) and housed during night wherever our host family was during 'everydays' and practiced during the day. Last year, however, the housing took place at the high school we were rehearsing at for those 3-4 days. It isn't as bad as you might of thought Jared meant, there's no driving involved during the time between tours; it's used as rehearsal time for the most part, not free time. Another thing that is going to be especially helpful regarding driving this year is that everyone will be housed in the dorms of Christian Brothers University (with a pool and beach volley ball! lol) for 'everydays' and I would assume any cleaning/rehearsal breaks we take in mid-July, will be at a high school in the area as well. It's just like any other corps taking a few days in Ohio or some other random tour stop while on tour to do some cleaning, except we usually end back up in Memphis to do it. :)

Like Tplaya1 said, Memphis definitely does a "full" tour - 28 shows this last season. My first year, there were 2-3 times during the summer where we would come back to Memphis for a few days in between tours (which lasted about 2 weeks each, 3 tours total) and housed during night wherever our host family was during 'everydays' and practiced during the day. Last year, however, the housing took place at the high school we were rehearsing at for those 3-4 days. It isn't as bad as you might of thought Jared meant, there's no driving involved during the time between tours; it's used as rehearsal time for the most part, not free time. Another thing that is going to be especially helpful regarding driving this year is that everyone will be housed in the dorms of Christian Brothers University (with a pool and beach volley ball! lol) for 'everydays' and I would assume any cleaning/rehearsal breaks we take in mid-July, will be at a high school in the area as well. It's just like any other corps taking a few days in Ohio or some other random tour stop while on tour to do some cleaning, except we usually end back up in Memphis to do it. :)

Oh, sorry. Guess things changed since '03. My brother didn't really tell me that anything was different in '04 either, so I just assumed. I meant that you guys rehearsed in between, and didn't really make any reference to free time (other than after rehearsals when not on tour, and on the occasional free day.). I'm aware you guys didn't have that entire week off directly before finals week (slightly inconveniently placed, but it happens, I guess) though. Never mind that section of my post then, just listen to what they said, haha.

lol It's cool, I just wanted to make sure that it was pointed out that even though we take 2-3 "seperate" tours, roughly 2 weeks each, that there isn't that huge gap of "down time" in between them where driving/parents would be an issue...it's all rehearsal, for the most part. :P

((Off-topic, but kick *** show this year with Bloo. :rock: ))