Kingsmen to perform at DCI in 2007

And as a side note...while my interest is So Cal Dream's continuing progress is not diminished in the least, I have to say that I am TRULY impressed with the enthusiasm, seriousness, and momentum that is happening with KMEN. I'm not even an alumni (unless you count that one rehearsal I taught as a know-nothing in 1988), and I can really appreciate their efforts. There is a VERY dedicated corps of people (Felix obviously being one of them--good job by the way) and they are not hoping for anything...they are MAKING it happen.

Drum corps on the west coast...it's the place to be!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only did the Kingsmen alumni corp form to celebrate the 35th anniversary of the 1972 DCI Champion Kingsmen, but also to introduce the Kingsmen Starcorps as well...they will be entering competition in 2006 or 2007...they will be a Jr. Corps run by the alumni...and yes, they are an official offspring of the old Kingsmen...same uniforms,...same class!

That's exciting news...I love the Kingsmen !

Here's a little something that will remain with me for the remainder of my life:

1976 DCI Championships prelims I was marching snare with the Watkins Glen Squires. Kingsmen were on before us in prelims and the corps was finishing "Artistry" as we walked out onto the backside of the field.

We were focused, confident, and ready to perform, then Kingsmen started to play "So Very Hard to Go". To this day, as if on cue, myself and another snare drummer turned and looked at each other. I remember Jim Nixon (another snare) looking over the top of his glasses at me with a half grin/half smirk. We didn't have to say a word...simpatico !

The chills of seeing the blue uniforms weren't enough...now they're playing in our face as they went backfield. When they turned to the front for the impact the sound resonated throughout the whole stadium. Talk about loosing focus...we were spectators when we were supposed to be gladiators ! We all grew up listening to and watching this corps...now we have to follow them ? It's almost too hard to explain the joy that wells up inside of you, just short of tears, that happens when you are this close to an organization that you have idolized for years.

It wasn't a really strong year for the corp...but it didn't matter.......

IT WAS FREAKIN' ANAHEIM !!!

Anaheim was probably my favorite corps of the DCI era. I competed against them many times with 2 diffrent corps. Their horn lines were powerful and blended. The drum line used a lot of visuals in their drum solos, so for a horn player like myself they were fun to watch. But the biggest reason I like Anaheim was the guard, especially the rifle line. Blue Uniforms and those black boots. I watched them outside of Ithica stadium in 1974 and then on the field. Their class, military bearing and swagger was something I had not ever seen in another guard. There were some that came close but Anaheim was it. In 1977 we ( Blue Stars)partied with Anaheim in the Pacific Ocean. Anyone remember that? I also remember watching what I remember to be a drum quartet ( 4 snares I think) win the Gong Show on TV! When I marched Blue Stars I remember the people from 1972 telling me about DCI Finals. That they had beaten Anaheim 6 or 7 times in a row in 1972. So when they announced Santa Clara in 3rd place, Blue Stars knew they had won. And when they announced Blue Stars in second place, they were shocked. Thanks for the memories and good luck!

Joe

You mean people like Diane Fashing, Mike Collins and Jeff Presley? I'll see what I can do!

I know you don't know me Larrie...but I sure know you. And you'd never believe this, but after I aged out of being drum major in 1987 for VK, I went straight to the dorms at Cal State Long Beach. One of the guys in our "suite" of rooms in the new dorms was this really obnoxious engineering student. Oh he loved to argue. Loved to debate. Loved to talk--just to hear himself talk. And one day he ventured into my room and saw my VK jacket. And he says, "HOLY ####...you marched VK!?!?!?"

Turns out he marched Blue Devils, was a soloist, had story after story about how things were "back then".

It was Jeff Presley. I lost contact with him after that school year. Doubt he'll remember me. But if you find him--tell him I said hey!!

That's exciting news...I love the Kingsmen !

Here's a little something that will remain with me for the remainder of my life:

1976 DCI Championships prelims I was marching snare with the Watkins Glen Squires. Kingsmen were on before us in prelims and the corps was finishing "Artistry" as we walked out onto the backside of the field.

We were focused, confident, and ready to perform, then Kingsmen started to play "So Very Hard to Go". To this day, as if on cue, myself and another snare drummer turned and looked at each other. I remember Jim Nixon (another snare) looking over the top of his glasses at me with a half grin/half smirk. We didn't have to say a word...simpatico !

The chills of seeing the blue uniforms weren't enough...now they're playing in our face as they went backfield. When they turned to the front for the impact the sound resonated throughout the whole stadium. Talk about loosing focus...we were spectators when we were supposed to be gladiators ! We all grew up listening to and watching this corps...now we have to follow them ? It's almost too hard to explain the joy that wells up inside of you, just short of tears, that happens when you are this close to an organization that you have idolized for years.

It wasn't a really strong year for the corp...but it didn't matter.......

IT WAS FREAKIN' ANAHEIM !!!

You know, that tune is hard to hear without generating that emotional response....even when I hear Tower of Power play So Very Hard To Go on thje local Oldies station it creates this emotion in me that is just phenomenal...reminds me of those rebuilding years...that echo in the stadium after the final push before Firebird Suite sends chills down my spine.....we will definitely bring some of that emotion and some of those chills back in 2007....I for one cannot wait....hope you join us if you can....I was always a big fan of Watkins Glen...you guys were great!

Anaheim was probably my favorite corps of the DCI era. I competed against them many times with 2 diffrent corps. Their horn lines were powerful and blended. The drum line used a lot of visuals in their drum solos, so for a horn player like myself they were fun to watch. But the biggest reason I like Anaheim was the guard, especially the rifle line. Blue Uniforms and those black boots. I watched them outside of Ithica stadium in 1974 and then on the field. Their class, military bearing and swagger was something I had not ever seen in another guard. There were some that came close but Anaheim was it. In 1977 we ( Blue Stars)partied with Anaheim in the Pacific Ocean. Anyone remember that? I also remember watching what I remember to be a drum quartet ( 4 snares I think) win the Gong Show on TV! When I marched Blue Stars I remember the people from 1972 telling me about DCI Finals. That they had beaten Anaheim 6 or 7 times in a row in 1972. So when they announced Santa Clara in 3rd place, Blue Stars knew they had won. And when they announced Blue Stars in second place, they were shocked. Thanks for the memories and good luck!

Joe

The guard was definitely it....there military bearing and bravado did not take away one bit from their femininity. I remember the Blue Stars out in California in 1977....I loved you guys...and that guard also brings back many boyhood crushes as well with those hot pants

:P ...(runs for the door as wife comes through the door...) anyway, thanks for the kind words and hope to see you out in Pasadena in 2007....Go Blue Stars and welcome back to Div I

I know you don't know me Larrie...but I sure know you. And you'd never believe this, but after I aged out of being drum major in 1987 for VK, I went straight to the dorms at Cal State Long Beach. One of the guys in our "suite" of rooms in the new dorms was this really obnoxious engineering student. Oh he loved to argue. Loved to debate. Loved to talk--just to hear himself talk. And one day he ventured into my room and saw my VK jacket. And he says, "HOLY ####...you marched VK!?!?!?"

Turns out he marched Blue Devils, was a soloist, had story after story about how things were "back then".

It was Jeff Presley. I lost contact with him after that school year. Doubt he'll remember me. But if you find him--tell him I said hey!!

Thanks Ryan,...gotta say you rolled up your sleeves as well after only a few days...thanks for all your help and hurry up and register so you can get the mp3....must be nice having DCI in your own back yard....almost literally!

You mean people like Diane Fashing, Mike Collins and Jeff Presley? I'll see what I can do!

Also Tim O'Brien - Contra 79-80, Phil Tait - Baritone 79...and maybe even Pep Manning, Baritone 79 and BD Truck Driver....I definitely remember your name, but your face escapes me...must be the early onset alzheimers

:P