BAC is now Buffalo Athletic Club!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if "B" doesnt stand for Boston at all?

Oh well...I guess only the members would know...and God ^_^

What if "B" doesnt stand for Boston at all?

Oh well...I guess only the members would know...and God ^_^

people have sugested it stands for BAd so theres another one

boca-raton area corps

HAHAHA.....maybe a pretty good number are from there (around 10 that I know of), but as far as Florida goes, most are from Miami. Funniest thing I've seen all morning though.

When I was a member of the Crusaders in 1975 BAC stood for Bad A** Crusaders among members and Boston Area Crusaders to people on the outside of the corps. I believe, although I can't prove, that BAC originally stood for Boston Athletic Club who was a sponser at one time.

Nemesis

Given that the members are generally discouraged from talking about this, I was attempting to be somewhat discreet about it. Actually, I didn't realize that the name was disguised way back then. I thought it was "modernized," if you will, when Howard came only a few years ago. Surprised that there were two names back in the 70's.

It has nothing to do with the "pedagogy" of the current members or any information they're trying to forget. The corps is still very much tradition-oriented (except in show design, I suppose), and has extremely strong links to their past. People still today refer to the "Most Precious Blood" and whatnot. (more than a few of my friends have that in their AIM profiles, even.) Do you really think it'd be logical for a corps in the modern times to still have the persona of the 60's and 70's Crusaders? That'd be slightly abrasive, to put it nicely. It's really not fair at all to accuse the corps of being "sellouts" or anything remotely similar, because if anything, they hold to their roots just as strongly as any other corps out there.

Edited by Jared_mello

Well said Jared. I think the challenge for any corps is to evolve with the times, both competitively and organizationally, while retaining its respect for its history. I've been around the corps since 1979, and I have kids that I've taught marching in the corps right now. Not only are these kids aware of the corps' history, they honor it.

It was great seeing uniformed members of the 2005 corps hanging out in Foxboro with alumni who marched in the early 60's.....there was plenty of affection and respect, and it went both ways. Like Cadets, the Cavies, and Madison, Boston HAS found a way to change with the times while respecting their past.

No, Howard Weinstein and the management team do not run the corps like it was 1965. It is 2005.

Eat 'em up Boston!

BAC

Well said Jared. I think the challenge for any corps is to evolve with the times, both competitively and organizationally, while retaining its respect for its history. I've been around the corps since 1979, and I have kids that I've taught marching in the corps right now. Not only are these kids aware of the corps' history, they honor it.

It was great seeing uniformed members of the 2005 corps hanging out in Foxboro with alumni who marched in the early 60's.....there was plenty of affection and respect, and it went both ways. Like Cadets, the Cavies, and Madison, Boston HAS found a way to change with the times while respecting their past.

No, Howard Weinstein and the management team do not run the corps like it was 1965. It is 2005.

Eat 'em up Boston!

BAC

well put Craig--------- Ditto not Digga

Bad ### Crusaders

everything since that is spin.

Yep. It was even referenced by their director (or perhaps a former director) in an interview in DCW or on DCI.org or some place like that a couple years back.

How did the whole lame "Boston Area" urban myth get started, anyway?

Probably because the original title would be bad for PR purposes, heh. I had thought it was a recent thing, and therefore since the persona changed they didn't want to have a bad reputation, but since it was decades ago I'm not too sure.