Lead players

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy turned me on to the new Marsupial mouthpiece...it comes with its own pouch.

$1 to Dick Hutchinson

Donny

I saw some of those while I was in the Service visiting Australia. Played with one and it kicked my azz. I was "screamin' all right................as I was running to the bar. Marsupials are "powerless" over alcohol.

$1.37 to that one guy

I use the GR 65MX. It's kind of like a Bach 3C, except a deeper cup. I've enjoyed the sound veeery much. I mean, it will just knock someone down. I can hit a pretty powerful double G and an occasional double C, which is extremely fun to do.

Now, about the whole "faster air" thing, I believe that is just mixing up terms. To say that the air must be "faster" brings with it the connotation that more air must be put through the horn, when really one just has to put a higher compression of air into the horn. If you put your hand in front of your mouth, the stream should really be difficult to feel, but there. It's simply a small amount of air moving at an incredibly rapid speed. But hey, that's just how I've been learning.

Now, about the whole "faster air" thing, I believe that is just mixing up terms. To say that the air must be "faster" brings with it the connotation that more air must be put through the horn, when really one just has to put a higher compression of air into the horn.

Uh- the mixing up is in this statement, not the previous posts. Your last statement is correct about the compression. However, faster air is NOT more air. It takes a ton MORE air to play low notes. Think about squeezing the air out of a balloon. Just letting the air out results in a low pitch. Stretching the opening of the balloon causes the air to leave the balloon faster and raises the pitch. Now with the opening stretched, squeeze the balloon. This compresses the air and causes it to come out even faster. The result is that the pitch will rise.

Now that everything is a clear as mud, let'sall goback to boring out our Schilke 6A4a's! b**bs

• 4 weeks later...
I have tried a lot of mouthpieces. I liked the Bob Reeves 43m that I had, I also like the Warburton 4sv...but I always return to the Schilke 14A4A for drum corps lead playing. The 13 a4a and 6 a4a are way too small for me. You have to learn how to play that mouthpiece. I suggest taking lessons from Curt Hawkins, Jeff Gibbens or Frank Ponzo. LOL

Yep...I am STILL playing the Shilke 6a4a, and loving every minute of it!!

Pretty decent tone quality in all of the ranges I play in, and very comfortable on the lips. It's all trial and error.

Thanks Donnie!

Attention all leads and soprano players. I was just curious as to what many of you are using out there. I personally am using a GR64.7MS Since I have been using this mouthpiece I have come to enjoy it very much. Do we have any other GR players out there.

I played large Schilke's (20,18,17,15) for 35yrs. and recently found the GR 67m a little less work to accomplish the same result.

Pretty decent tone quality in all of the ranges I play in, and very comfortable on the lips. It's all trial and error.

Thanks Donnie!

yea thats the same for me. i like a shallow cup. i started off on a bach 7c which worked fine till i was in highschool and i started to feel like it was restricting my air flow. so i went to a bach 10 1/2 G but i found it too deep(but i still from time to time when i'm just messing around will pull it out.) then i went to the schlike 13a4a my older brother used while he was in highschool and was a soloist. then tried a schilike 14a4 and didn't care much for it same with a bach 3c i went to next. tryed a yamaha 13a4a used it for one practice put it back in my bag and went back to my schlike 13a4a, and then i got my schlike 6a4a i love it. i like how it feels on my lips, i like the tone i get, the air flows really free through it(except from time to time it is starting to feel like it's restricting my air flow but today was the first time i noticed that problem.) and it seems to have helped my endorance and i don't get a thin sound up high. i love my 6a4a.

but i hear people talking about boring out their mouth pieces but what does it do and how can someone go about it? how do you know how much or how little to remove?

You have to be really careful when "boring out" a mouthpiece as NOT to ruin the balance of it. I have opened some mouthpieces to have to throw them away. The hole size can be "carefully" drilled out to a bigger bit size by someone experienced to do it. I have gone from a US 28, which is what most mouthpieces are (I think), all the to a 20...8 drill sizes. It allows one to push more air, I suppose. But again, the mouthpieces were created with certain dimensions to give those particular qualities that are what we get those mouthpieces for in the first place. When trying to do this, I would suggest one bit size at a time, then graduate if needed.

I have been hearing A LOT OF PEOPLE TALKiNG ABOUT THE GR lately...maybe I will try one. I know David sounds good on his!

Donny

Thanks Donnie!

Hey you mean thanks ADAM also!!! That is my mouthpiece!!! HAH

What up PPPPPPOnzo!