Suncoast Sound 1988

This was also a corps that experienced membership problems (ie shortage for a great deal of the season) and $$ problems

What corps hasnt experienced this???

I am a big fan of Al Murray and I studied with Kim Lloyd when I was a kid, so I won't weigh in on that one.

Rich Viano was center right?

Mike

Al Murray kicks serious butt...kudos for you (some scratch their head and wonder who im talking about sometimes...then i say "Spider", the street beat?)

Rich Viano, if i remember properly, marched center snare 87 and 88...then center for star in 89...he didnt march his age-out...he taught magic (tragic)

Holy Walnuts? :blush:

awesome.

Diggin' the love here!!

Yeah, we couldn't march well (except '86, those guys were studs)... but that was a serious departure in drill (thank you Mr. Sylvester...) at a difficulty level quite far above the skills in the corps. It was also a very young corps with very real financial problems.

To this day though, my proudest moment in my corps career was pulling off that show.

Yes, Rich Viano was center snare in 88. He came in second that year in snare I&E (before winning it the next year with Star)

First time I saw Cadets this year (Orlando) told a friend (and fellow SS 88 Alum) that it (the Zone) was Symphonic Dances part II. Not a slam, loved the show, but you can see the parallels.

Diggin' the love here!!

Yeah, we couldn't march well (except '86, those guys were studs)... but that was a serious departure in drill (thank you Mr. Sylvester...) at a difficulty level quite far above the skills in the corps. It was also a very young corps with very real financial problems.

To this day though, my proudest moment in my corps career was pulling off that show.

Yes, Rich Viano was center snare in 88. He came in second that year in snare I&E (before winning it the next year with Star)

First time I saw Cadets this year (Orlando) told a friend (and fellow SS 88 Alum) that it (the Zone) was Symphonic Dances part II. Not a slam, loved the show, but you can see the parallels.

u guys marched a heck of alot better than most...you made finals didnt you? some members have nothing but negative to say on these boards....im here to tell ya....its one fine show....still one of my favourite arrangers is R W Smith....what a genius mind...when he was daydreaming, he could actually hear in chordal structure.

What corps hasnt experienced this???

Very few..sadly :(

I just found it amazing that the corps was able to pull 88 and 89 off becuse of the straits they were in. One of their contras marched with me in Spirit the following summer (another disaster..won't even go there! :blush: ) and related to me what they went thru that summer of 88..yikes.

I just found it amazing that the corps was able to pull 88 and 89 off becuse of the straits they were in. One of their contras marched with me in Spirit the following summer (another disaster..won't even go there! :blush: ) and related to me what they went thru that summer of 88..yikes.

HEY!!! You marched with "Brother" John McBrayer! John rocked, we were sorry to see him go to Spirit in 89, although we understood why. He was one of the primary motivations for the Delta Tribute at 89 finals...

interesting...another spirit alumni....ill ask Freddy

Great show musically..but like many SS corps of the 1980's, that corps COULD NOT march...

Interesting statement, especially when you consider two things:

1) 1986 Suncoast placed very high all year long in the visual sub-caption governing foot technique, once the judges realized what the corps was doing so radically different, leading to...

2) The "placed-foot" direction change and "stop-and-go" marching techniques widely used today were pioneered by Greg Martin, Karl Lowe and the 1986 Suncoast visual team.

u guys marched a heck of alot better than most...you made finals didnt you? some members have nothing but negative to say on these boards....im here to tell ya....its one fine show....still one of my favourite arrangers is R W Smith....what a genius mind...when he was daydreaming, he could actually hear in chordal structure.

Oh no doubt... we were MUCH better by finals than how the year started, don't get me wrong. And after the nightmare that was 87, it was a welcome challenge, just not something that a lot of us were used to trying. One of the highlights of 88 was when Robert played the closer (For Yesterday's Child) on the piano for the hornline... gorgeous!

HEY!!! You marched with "Brother" John McBrayer! John rocked, we were sorry to see him go to Spirit in 89, although we understood why. He was one of the primary motivations for the Delta Tribute at 89 finals...

he should of ran back to suncoast when they pulled out those back potato uniforms