Suncoast Sound 1988

What corps hasnt experienced this???

Al Murray kicks serious butt...kudos for you (some scratch their head and wonder who im talking about sometimes...then i say "Spider", the street beat?)

Rich Viano, if i remember properly, marched center snare 87 and 88...then center for star in 89...he didnt march his age-out...he taught magic (tragic)

Spider....one of the most played street beats still today I would say (at least the bass uni part). I know our bass line played that thing every summer for kicks.

We toured with them alot those last few years. The thing I remember about Suncoast was that they came out dirty (most do) but did serious work and kicked are ##### every summer. I seem to remember the drumline usually had one guy on tour doing the whole line, was this the case?

1987 My Fair Lady, hey, I actually liked that show. Does anyone remember the girl that played bass in '87?

Spider....one of the most played street beats still today I would say (at least the bass uni part). I know our bass line played that thing every summer for kicks.

We toured with them alot those last few years. The thing I remember about Suncoast was that they came out dirty (most do) but did serious work and kicked are ##### every summer. I seem to remember the drumline usually had one guy on tour doing the whole line, was this the case?

1987 My Fair Lady, hey, I actually liked that show. Does anyone remember the girl that played bass in '87?

Yep, her name was Chris... don't remember her last name, but she was from Largo HS. They had another girl on bass in the incredible 85 and 86 lines, top bass IIRC.

Spider... love it. Not only was it Suncoast's street beat, but also MY HS, wayyy back in the day.. In fact, the guy who pretty much wrote the groove (John Campese) was on staff at my HS. Just saw him at finals in Boston, great guy.

Yep, her name was Chris... don't remember her last name, but she was from Largo HS. They had another girl on bass in the incredible 85 and 86 lines, top bass IIRC.

Spider... love it. Not only was it Suncoast's street beat, but also MY HS, wayyy back in the day.. In fact, the guy who pretty much wrote the groove (John Campese) was on staff at my HS. Just saw him at finals in Boston, great guy.

actually allen murray wrote spider...campese, perhaps knowing his fraility at taken credit for many things that he never did, must have lied. spider was back from 84...when murray was beginning to take suncoast in new directions.

God Awful ugly..

But man were they comfortable!

hey Mike Back fielded 9 basses (holds dci record for most basses on the field)!!!! was that drumline huge or what? 9 snares, 4 tenors, 9 basses, 4 cymbals....wow, they were pretty clean if i remember...the solo was cool with the stick toss and the back sticking accelerando...put crowds on their feet everytime, even if the show didnt.

overall 89 was a great year for drum corps, just wish spirit wouldnt have taken Interstellar Suite and would have brought back some of their signature tunes...would have loved to hear Blues in the Night again...

First time I saw Cadets this year (Orlando) told a friend (and fellow SS 88 Alum) that it (the Zone) was Symphonic Dances part II. Not a slam, loved the show, but you can see the parallels.

I'll take the solo dancer of '88 SS over the door girl of '05 Cadets. :huh:

• Like 1

hey Mike Back fielded 9 basses (holds dci record for most basses on the field)!!!! was that drumline huge or what? 9 snares, 4 tenors, 9 basses, 4 cymbals....wow, they were pretty clean if i remember...the solo was cool with the stick toss and the back sticking accelerando...put crowds on their feet everytime, even if the show didnt.

overall 89 was a great year for drum corps, just wish spirit wouldnt have taken Interstellar Suite and would have brought back some of their signature tunes...would have loved to hear Blues in the Night again...

9 players, 13 drums..the top 4 had the "pony" toms. It was a good line, most of whom retruned to the 1990 line. That acellerando was a bear to march becasue for some reason Mike put a 5/4 bar in the middle of it.

That was a tough year at SOA..I think that they had hit the berg the year before..people were headed to the boats 88-89, a righting of the ship in 1990, then a plunge to the bottom in 1991-1993.

Suncoast had a tough year in 89 too..only they pulled it out at the end..

WHACK WHACK WHACK!!!! ping

One of the greatest underrated shows of all time...

I can't think of a more underrated show, actually.

Still as visceral and vital today as it was then. It's timeless. Could be the most "relevant" drum corps show ever (considering the nature of junior corps as a youth activity). "This is a corps that asks questions, as well as makes statements," as Cesario put it. They did that better than any corps, IMO.

9 players, 13 drums..the top 4 had the "pony" toms. It was a good line, most of whom retruned to the 1990 line. That acellerando was a bear to march becasue for some reason Mike put a 5/4 bar in the middle of it.

That was a tough year at SOA..I think that they had hit the berg the year before..people were headed to the boats 88-89, a righting of the ship in 1990, then a plunge to the bottom in 1991-1993.

Suncoast had a tough year in 89 too..only they pulled it out at the end..

yeh, i remember the pony drums...also used during the pertroushka drum solo...Mike never really wrote an accellerando, but it was metered to have an "accellerando" feel...in the end, it was probably more of the desired effect, rather than the written note (have some music)...this is very similar to the 83, 84 solos...they were all metered....yeh, the 5/4 measure doesnt make sense...its negated by a 3/4 at the end (?)

Mike's great...went on a ski weekend in W.NC mountain with him and his wife (actually a large group)...he almost broke his leg...but cool to talk with him about spirit, Moorehead State and the tom float days. He is now head band director at Walton High School, Atlanta

actually allen murray wrote spider...campese, perhaps knowing his fraility at taken credit for many things that he never did, must have lied. spider was back from 84...when murray was beginning to take suncoast in new directions.

I guess this is one of those things that goes back and forth... I know that my HS was using Spider as a cadence back in 82-83, and that Campese was there... I don't profess to know who actually wrote it though.

As someone who was there at the time I must say that even I am having a hard time remembering the facts surrounding the birth of this famous cadence. I can tell you this though, Suncoast was playing Spyder in '82 or '83 at the latest.

It started out as a very simple unison cadence that just kept repeating, then all of a sudden one day a melodic bass drum feature was added followed by a snare feature and a quad feature before returning back to the origininal cadence. I had always thought that it was some of the members of the drumline that made it up. I know for a fact that it was members of the drumline that kept tweaking and adding new parts to it, and I do believe that John Campese, who was involved with the corps before my time did have some part to play in the early incantations of this beat.

I think it would be accurate to call Spyder a collaboration but as far as the original composer, I'd like to know the answer to that myself.

Edited by Russellrks