College and Drum Corps

I had a question regarded starting college and drum corps. So I'm finally looking at colleges and applying and stuff, and I was just wondering: Will it mess up my ability to get ready for college. As in: registering for classes, orientation days, and things like this. I'm hoping that it won't mess me up or anything because I really want to try-out for a corps. I would just like to hear from someone who marched corps recently the summer before their freshman year in college. Thanks for your help.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it will mess up anything with your college scheduling, but I will tell you one thing. I marched in '04 and didn't march in '05. I'm a freshman in college now, and I regret not marching this past summer. My suggestion is to plan ahead as much as possible to get all that stuff out of the way so you can march. You won't regret it. Granted, education comes first, but if you can finish those things before you leave you can enter into the summer with nothing in your head except drum corps. Here is to hoping it all works out.

I'm glad he had asked these questions, because I had the same concerns.

For me it's a bit easier, since the corps I'm planning to march with is not too far from the University.

I'm marching this coming summer, and I'm a senior in high school too. As I understand it, most colleges don't have orientation until after the season is over seeing as they start in late August. If not, make arrangements with the corps to see if it is possible to miss a couple days of tour to go and come back :)

I know lots of people (who marched with me) who had to make calls home w/their mom on the cell phone tryign to get their classes for them. OR they just had to wait until add/drop periods to TRY to get the classes.

I think it's something you should REALLY do your homework on, so you can see if it's possible to do it early. If not, leave your parents with a set date/time and schedule of what you need.

It can be a conflict, I've seen it. But, I'm sure you can work it out.

It depends on your university's scheduling set up. I marched last summer before my freshman year of college, and since registering for classes/housing/etc. all happened before the summer, I had no problems.

I fully recommend marching in between high school and college. It prepares you for your freshman year on so many levels.

Where there's a will, there's a way....

I went through the same thing this summer, and everything will turn out fine. Try and get in touch with someone on the orientation staff and talk to them. In my case, I was able to register for the Fall semester during the Summer orientation at the end of May, so I didn't have any conflicts.

Communicate with your college and corps EARLY so you won't have any mishaps later on in May.

Hope all goes well!

Like some people have already said, just do your homework. For me, I was able to work it out with my university so that when I returned from corps, I did a quick session orientation and than registered for classes. So, even though I missed the big freshman orientations, I was still able to get all the info I needed and start school on time. Talk to people and don't miss a year of corps!

Well, that was the boat I was in this past summer. My band director here was most helpful, getting me set up and sending information to me and my parents. It definitely required communication between myself, my mom, the school, my BD... lots of explanations about what on earth drum & bugle corps is and why it made it difficult for me to communicate personally. Also, I know with my corps, if it was conveniently nearby, we could leave for a day to go register, if we absolutely had to... otherwise, I know Greg Orwell has talked to colleges himself, making it possible to corps members to miss "mandatory" registration/orientation. So like Carl a few posts up.. just communicate early, make sure things are settled before you leave, and if you need help from a director, you can get it.