College and Drum Corps

I didn't march the summer in between leaving high school and going to college. But for one, I didn't even know what drum corps really was...and my mentor who led me into the activity knew that I needed another year to grow up in order to be ready for drum corps. Secondly, I had an extra summer...which somehow justifies it for me.

Ultimately, as others have said, if you do as much research as possible and simply talk to people, where there's a will there's a way. If there is a scheduling conflict (as far as orientation goes) just talk to the college, tell them you're in a performance group that tours nationally and they'll normally waiver your absence. If you're going into a performance art department it should be a little easier to explain...otherwise, spend more time on what and how you will describe the experience so that they fully understand your commitment.

If you're marching drum corps...the administrative "taking care of your ####" part of college that orientation is supposed to teach you is a breeze! B)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a freshman in college now, and I marched '04 and '05.

It's possible to do, just difficult.

I had to leave spring training for three days to go do orientation and sign up for classes.

It involved a lot of phone calls with my mother, and a lot from her with the University.

It's doable... it'll just take a lot of work.

But hey, you're marching drum corps, so that shouldn't be a big deal.

Just make sure you ask if they are doing orientation NOW for the folks who are starting in the spring or summer session. Most of the colleges in my area have 1 orientation session in the fall semester & 1 in spring for the folks who don't start in the fall. If the one you choose does that, they might be willing to let you in one of those sessions.

Alrighty, thanks for all your help, I talked with my father and he said that he'd be willing to help me register for classes over the phone if I needed to. I'll begin contacting some people at the university once they actually accept me. I've sent my application in, and I'm pretty sure that they're going to accept me (My GPA and ACT are pretty good). Who would you guys suggest the best people at the university are to contact. The office of admissions? Who would deal with the orientation and registering? Thanks again for your help!

There is probably an orientation website for your university, and they should have people in charge listed with contact information. Try and get in touch with them first and explain the situation, then take it from there.

Back in the summer of '86, I took a couple of days off between tours to go to my intended college for freshman registration.

I later went to a different college, and transferred in as a junior. I moved into my dorm room, met my roommate, and she took me around to every place I needed to go (she had done all of this that summer during her freshman orientation!) and I registered for classes mere days before the semester started. It worked just fine this way.

I had no problems with starting college and doing drum corps. Granted I did have to miss summer advising, you may want to see if you would have that issue. The summer advising was just a couple days at the university where I would have stayed in a dorm for a night and talked to a counselor about what classes to take. I highly suggest that you meet with a conselor first thing before school starts(after tour), you may have to make an appointment because they will probably be too booked for walk-ins. You generally will have an idea of what to take and should be able to figure it out looking at the requirements for your major in interest, but check in with a counselor to make sure.

I am possitive that doing drum corps the summer before your freshman year will not only be exciting and a memorable experience but should not at all have any adverse effects on your education plans as long as you are responsible and plan ahead.

So in short: March this summer! B)

Alrighty, thanks for all your help, I talked with my father and he said that he'd be willing to help me register for classes over the phone if I needed to. I'll begin contacting some people at the university once they actually accept me. I've sent my application in, and I'm pretty sure that they're going to accept me (My GPA and ACT are pretty good). Who would you guys suggest the best people at the university are to contact. The office of admissions? Who would deal with the orientation and registering? Thanks again for your help!

Office of the Registrar is your best bet. What school is it that you want to go to. Maybe one of us has gone there and can give you the exact link with contact information.

I later went to a different college, and transferred in as a junior. I moved into my dorm room, met my roommate, and she took me around to every place I needed to go (she had done all of this that summer during her freshman orientation!) and I registered for classes mere days before the semester started. It worked just fine this way.

The danger in waiting is that courses will fill up...esp in a popular major. I'd check to see if that is common where you end up going before deciding to wait until the last minute.

Mike

Like many have said, you'll have to call the college. Every place does it different. I went to Eastern Michigan, and we had something called "Fast Track" where all of the freshman came in and registered, most of them during April and May. I don't think I did anything over the summer as far as getting ready for college was concerned, it was all done before May!