College and Drum Corps

I would suggest contacting the Office of Admissions. Most schools have an extensive system in place to assist in the admissions process and help with the transition to campus during the first year; similar to Vets taking care of rookies during camps. On-line registration and early campus visits should also help. You may be able to hook up with all the information you need through that process. Sometimes how campuses treat you coming in is a good reflection of how responsive they will be during the remainder of your stay. I don’t remember if you said you were going to be in band but sometimes departments are set-up to help students also. I work at a PAC-10 school in the Division of Student Affairs so our business is helping students succeed. If you have any more questions feel free to message me; I would be more than glad to help out where I can.

Bill

:)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The danger in waiting is that courses will fill up...esp in a popular major. I'd check to see if that is common where you end up going before deciding to wait until the last minute.

Mike

True, and I did have a wonky schedule that first semester, but even transferring in as a junior, I didn't have trouble getting the classes I needed. (And you can live with a wonky schedule for a semester!)

We have college freshman leaving for orientation every now and again.... it's always cool. My best friend got out of about an hour's worth of rehearsal to register for classes.... he used a staff member's laptop. It's really no problem at all. And if you're worried about missing out on lame freshman activities.... don't. Because they're lame. You'll make friends with people on your floor, or in your major. It seems like a big hassle, but it's really small beans. Just make sure everyone (the university and the corps and your parents) know the whole situation.

yeah, i marched this summer before my freshmen year of college, and it wasn't (that big) of a hassle. i sort of had it nice in that my college has an orientation week the week before everyone else moves in where they help move you in and get you adjusted, as well as register for classes... so i didn't miss anything over the summer except finding out who my roommate was and what res. college i was in (which my parents informed me of over the phone).

the unfortunate thing was that orientation week started sunday, august 14th - which meant i got to my hotel room in providence around 2 am and "woke up" for my flight down to texas at 4 am... so that made that first day a little hectic - i showed up late to orientation, missed a couple of activities, but the college was very good about fitting with my schedule.

i would recommend calling the registrar's office to find out information -- or if your college has an orientation/freshmen affairs coordinator (which mine does), contact them. in my case, the orientation was wholly student-run, so they were very easy to deal with. the simple answer is that you should march. everything else will take care of itself. just out of curiosity, where are you applying? i remember this time last year being quite hectic with essay-writing and whatnot.