DCI, BOA, DCA, or USSBA

Yea, I hate that "burried in the back" syndrome. We had that problem with poor staging where I teach. Frankly, it's something that should affect your music scores, and moving perc to the box would go a long way towards forcing these drill writers to get the battery up front every once in a while.

i doubt it. the drum score isnt part of the total.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the music judges dont penalize them for balance and staging, as well as the visual judges, it's not the drum sheets fault.

if the music judges dont penalize them for balance and staging, as well as the visual judges, it's not the drum sheets fault.

Well, that's what I'm saying. The IA and EA judges should slam them...but in the same vein the drum judge shouldn't reward note-ramming like many of them do now. Some judges barely look at the pit, let alone balance, staging, etc. I had a drum judge actually tell me that a 20-80 pit/battery split was how it's supposed to be!

If nothing else, the drum sheets need rewriting, and why not look at making it a box judged caption while we're at it?

I'm not saying scrap the whole thing and start over...just take a closer look to see if we can indeed do it better.

Edited by Kamarag

i'd contact the percussion caption head anytie you get comments like that I know whenever I have had concerns, he's quick to reply.

granted there are some judges out there most of us teaching don't want to see. ####, i may be one of em. but if the problem isn't reported, then it's not TOB's fault. I actually thought every group at ACC's had the right call this year

if you judge it like an IA caption, then there's no need for an upstairs read, because that's what the ensemble and GE music guys are for.

The way I see it, ensemble and effect should also take in percussion. Just as the IM (IA in TOB) caption should as well, as those are the 'scores that count' in the final number.

Being a special score caption to determine the best percussion section, IMO it has to encompass as much as possible, which is why it belongs upstairs. Downstairs is very limiting when you are attempting to award the 'best' of anything, as you just can't determine anything beyond the close-in evaluation.

and today, even with a large group 3 band, if they're buried, you're screwed trying to make a call upstairs.

If they are buried so that you can't hear them....that is an issue to be commented on upstairs...on the percussion, ensemble and effect tapes. It should impact the 'scores that count' as much as the special award scores. I've said that many times when sections are not audible due to staging issues, be it WW or battery.

Mike

sorry, but as the sheet itself currently stands, it belongs downstairs like an IA tape.

sorry, but as the sheet itself currently stands, it belongs downstairs like an IA tape.

I have no idea what TOB's drum sheet is...I thought we were talking conceptually about where the caption belongs. The USSBA sheet is designed as an upstairs sheet; it would not work downstairs. I have no doubt the TOB sheet is designed for the field.

The question is where do the special judges belong...up or down...regardless of the specific sheets in use. At least...that's what I thought we were discussing.

Mike

specials, IMO belong downstairs.

the captions that are judged to count fill up the box as is.

would you pull the brass and wind judges off the field?

i wouldnt.

specials, IMO belong downstairs.

the captions that are judged to count fill up the box as is.

would you pull the brass and wind judges off the field?

i wouldnt.

USSBA does not use those at all. Conceptually, if percussion was moved, I'd say yes to be consistent...though I'm sure you'd need new sheets...IMO any time you are trying to identify the 'best' overall you have to encompass as much of the performance as possible...which is upstairs. If the concept is just to identify the technically most proficient, then the field would be the best place. As for space, they could be placed in the stands, near the top, I'd say.

Both systems work well for each circuit, so this is more an exercise in personal opinions, where we disagree....as usual. :)

Mike