Cadets of Bergen County

Cadets haven't been The Cadets of Bergen County for a while, and that includes '03. All the years I've been there since '01 we've simply been The Cadets. I

The Cadets last used "of Bergen County" in 1998.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cadets haven't been The Cadets of Bergen County for a while, and that includes '03. All the years I've been there since '01 we've simply been The Cadets. I lucked out because my rookie year was the last year that the jackets say "Of Bergen County" on them. As for the corps now, I'm sure there isn't anyone from Bergen county and only a few from New Jersey. In fact, states like Texas and South Carolina probably have better representation now. Pennsylvania still holds its own though, being that the corps is from there now.

It was just to make a point :-) There was no one actually from BC.

During the years I taught there (1993-1997) If I remember correctly,,,,, We never had more than two people from Bergen County in the corps at the same time.

(The Mello Line in 1993 for instance was mostly from Canada and England.)

Replying to the other post......in the 1980's I would doubt if it was 90+% during the three peat years, but most corps of that era and earlier were mostly local based, but from what I understand....even in 1980, the Garfield Cadets had a fairly large number of people from the deep south in the corps.

In my dinosaur Cadet era, when a lot of corps were primarily made up of local kids...very few came from Garfield itself...less than a dozen..probable less than 10. That's one reason the town did not really support us, and in fact often hassled us during practices.

We came from all over the tri-state area, primarily from smaller class 'B' corps.

The mileage scale is different, but the concept remains the same.

BTW..in 1971 we were not the Garfield Cadets, we were the Cadets of Garfield, which may hav led to the CBC name later on.

Ancient history 'r us,

Mike

In my dinosaur Cadet era, when a lot of corps were primarily made up of local kids...very few came from Garfield itself...less than a dozen..probable less than 10. That's one reason the town did not really support us, and in fact often hassled us during practices.

We came from all over the tri-state area, primarily from smaller class 'B' corps.

The mileage scale is different, but the concept remains the same.

BTW..in 1971 we were not the Garfield Cadets, we were the Cadets of Garfield, which may hav led to the CBC name later on.

Ancient history 'r us,

Mike

In my years the majority of the corps came from the local area (New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut). As the corps almost folded in June of 1980, George Hopkins, Jim Paradise and some members took a trip in a van into the south and recruited new members from Louisiana, Mississipi and Texas in order to field a full corps. It was those folks who saved the Garfield Cadets and made everything that was to follow possible.

When I joined the corps in the fall of 1980, we had an influx of kids from throughout the area mostly from smaller drum corps that had folded (Royal Brigade, Bengal Lancers, Royales, Black Diamond Regiment, etc). During the "three-peat" Cheryl Philhower and Debbie Gosdek were among the very last members who lived in Garfield, NJ and had actually come through the feeder program the Garfield Plebes.

In my years the majority of the corps came from the local area (New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut). As the corps almost folded in June of 1980, George Hopkins, Jim Paradise and some members took a trip in a van into the south and recruited new members from Louisiana, Mississipi and Texas in order to field a full corps. It was those folks who saved the Garfield Cadets and made everything that was to follow possible.

Pretty much the same area we covered a decade prior...we DID have one person from Kansas (marched Sky Riders, I think)...nickname...."Kansas" (we were just SO creative!!!). He marched with us because one of his good friends had moved to NY and marched with us already.

When I joined the corps in the fall of 1980, we had an influx of kids from throughout the area mostly from smaller drum corps that had folded (Royal Brigade, Bengal Lancers, Royales, Black Diamond Regiment, etc). During the "three-peat" Cheryl Philhower and Debbie Gosdek were among the very last members who lived in Garfield, NJ and had actually come through the feeder program the Garfield Plebes.

We had members from lots of small corps all over the area...the girl guard that started in 1969 moved over en masse from the Little Falls Cadets when they folded. Judy Tompko (Ulchinsky today) was captain. A bunch of horn players and drummers came from my GSC corps for 69, and I came along a year later.

Mike

I don't think the Cadets are the only corps without locals. How many Bluecoats members are from Stark County OH?

Well when I marched a fair number of the corps was from stark county, with most of the rest from summit county. My last year I believe there was only one kid (a contra player) who was actually from Canton. But now with the influx of the texas kids, I would venture to guess not too many.

most corps have a pretty high texas population since they hold auditions in texas quite a lot and texas marching bands are pretty big. BD tends to be more local/california based because of how early they start practicing intensely (though i hear their attendance policy/practice schedule has changed this year)... i know someone from massachusetts that marched and had to move out to Cali in January so he could attend all the camps. Still, most DCI corps recruit heavily from outside of their area.

Not true. BD is not local at all.

I doubt that any top 12 drum corps is.