Dutch Boy Announces Show Program For 2006

Robbie, you and the BoD are very warped individuals.... I like that!!!! I'm looking forward to seeing what the corps does with this.... heck, it may even get my kids out to a show, but it's not my fault if they sing the lyrics at the top of their voices. Sammy, be proud of your daddy!!!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robbie, you and the BoD are very warped individuals.... I like that!!!! I'm looking forward to seeing what the corps does with this.... heck, it may even get my kids out to a show, but it's not my fault if they sing the lyrics at the top of their voices. Sammy, be proud of your daddy!!!!!

Sue, we are going a different direction with Dutch Boy these days. The new board is listening to the kids and the kids love this music!!!

Unfortunately, other boards with the corps in the past didn't want to take a chance and upset the parents. They didn't want the corps to grow and didn't want the corps to be controversial.

As for the BoD being warped individuals, I've known you long enough SUE, to take that as a compliment!!!

Thank you !!

If anyone does sing the words to what we are playing, well....just.....BLAME CANADA !!!!!!!!

OK, so if you're playing the MUSIC of South Park and no more, my thinking out loud question still stands. Without the LYRICS, is that music enough to capture the essence of what South Park is all about? Is the show supposed to be funny? (This is a legit question...just ask the Blue Knights when they did their cartoon show.) If so, is the music funny on it's own? My own opinion is no it isn't. Just IMO.

I'm pretty sure that the show itself isn't meant to be just a comedy, there may be some funny parts, there may not be, I don't know, I'm not designing the show, but if you listen to the music without the vocals entirely, it still has good background music, and I'm assumung that's why this show was chosen, not because it would be funny, just because the actual music of it is just awesome.

I'm pretty sure that the show itself isn't meant to be just a comedy, there may be some funny parts, there may not be, I don't know, I'm not designing the show, but if you listen to the music without the vocals entirely, it still has good background music, and I'm assumung that's why this show was chosen, not because it would be funny, just because the actual music of it is just awesome.

Exactly Straemer, I've been saying that all along !!!

I can guarantee that this will be one show that will NOT be forgotten for a very long time !!

If you don't see this show and it's in your home town, DON'T "BLAME CANADA" !!!!

Edited by ODBC

OK, so if you're playing the MUSIC of South Park and no more, my thinking out loud question still stands. Without the LYRICS, is that music enough to capture the essence of what South Park is all about? Is the show supposed to be funny? (This is a legit question...just ask the Blue Knights when they did their cartoon show.) If so, is the music funny on it's own? My own opinion is no it isn't. Just IMO.

Blue Knights 2001 show had no vocals in it... It was purely "cartoon" based music, which stood on its own... It didnt need vocals or have to come from a television show, to be funny. While I personally did not care for BK 2001 visually, the music itself is actually pretty cool if you ever just LISTEN to the music for what it is. Musically, the Cartoon theme was entertaining...

BK 01, sorry to say, was a train wreck of a show IMO. Especially after their promising top 6 season of 2000. Cartoon music without the cartoon only has a limited appeal. The cartoon is the context that enhances the music. Very few, including the judges, could tell if BK was trying to be funny with it or not. And that is one of the dangers of selecting a show like this.

And hey, I think this is a legit question and I'm thinking out loud with this. If a savvy and intelligent staff is at work here, a show like this could work and it wouldn't surprise me at all. However, I also wouldn't be surprised if the concept backfires. I wish them luck.

Dutch Boy played cartoon music in 1986 and it was a highly successful show. We did not ever intend to be funny just to play great music and great music it was! In 1985 we placed 32nd in DCI and came back in 1986 to place 17th with cartoon music. (Jetsons, Magilla Gorilla, Top Cat and the Pink Panther)

If the musical arrangement is done well and the visual is appealing it does not need to be funny to be successful. I'm certainly not yet sold on the show concept but I will certainly view it before I condemn it. I know much of the design team and staff and have complete faith that they will produce a product that is original, enjoyable and hopefully competitively successful.

Best of luck Dutch.. :)

Thanks for the question Rut-roh. There's nothing wrong with a little scepticism. As for the music (and I know that you have your opinion) try humming some of the melodies. They're fun, exciting, infectious. This music goes far beyond a standard cartoon theme. The scoring is very full, very similar to a Broadway musical. A lot of people know the tunes we'll be playing. They can insert the lyrics themselves. And those who don't know the music, may come away humming a melody or 2. Visually, I don't know the direction we are taking (not my department). Will we do a VK style show, probably not. Will Cartman, Kyle, Stan & Kenny make an appearance on the feild, who knows??? All of that is still in the development stage.

Dutch Boy is starting to move back to what they were known for- who they were in their glory days of the mid-late 80's to early 90's. They were big, fun, entertaining and memorable. We want our kids to enjoy what they're playing. To have some relevance to what kids like and are into. So that is our aim with this show. We'll see what happens.

So come summertime, if you see us, give us a cheer. and if we fall flat on our face with this show, cheer for us anyway, because we all know those kids are working their butts off, playing/doing something they really love.