Dutch Boy Announces Show Program For 2006

Dutch Boy played cartoon music in 1986 and it was a highly successful show. We did not ever intend to be funny just to play great music and great music it was! In 1985 we placed 32nd in DCI and came back in 1986 to place 17th with cartoon music. (Jetsons, Magilla Gorilla, Top Cat and the Pink Panther)

If the musical arrangement is done well and the visual is appealing it does not need to be funny to be successful. I'm certainly not yet sold on the show concept but I will certainly view it before I condemn it. I know much of the design team and staff and have complete faith that they will produce a product that is original, enjoyable and hopefully competitively successful.

Best of luck Dutch.. :)

I loved the 1986 dutch boy show and was glad we were lucky enough to stay ahead of them all season

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dutch Boy played cartoon music in 1986 and it was a highly successful show. We did not ever intend to be funny just to play great music and great music it was! In 1985 we placed 32nd in DCI and came back in 1986 to place 17th with cartoon music. (Jetsons, Magilla Gorilla, Top Cat and the Pink Panther)

If the musical arrangement is done well and the visual is appealing it does not need to be funny to be successful. I'm certainly not yet sold on the show concept but I will certainly view it before I condemn it. I know much of the design team and staff and have complete faith that they will produce a product that is original, enjoyable and hopefully competitively successful.

Best of luck Dutch.. :)

I remember that show. But it should be noted that the songs used in that show were more along the line of assorted theme songs as opposed to the South Park material, which is more based in the comedy of the lyrics to enhance their effectiveness.

It seems to me that no matter what you think of the show idea or music or whatever, it's doing exactly what it's designed for. It's catching peoples attention. The minute you hear someones trying to do a south park show, the first thought is always "Are you serious?". I'm still not sure if the show will work, just the same at this point you never know if anyones show will really work. It all kinda seems the same in words. But no matter what, at this point the show is doing its job. Its catching peoples attention and if even 1 kid joins because they want do that show, my guess is that its a mission accomplished. I hope I get to check the show out sometime, should be interesting. Good luck D/B from at least one timpanist from another Canadian Rooted corps.

BK 01, sorry to say, was a train wreck of a show IMO. Especially after their promising top 6 season of 2000. Cartoon music without the cartoon only has a limited appeal. The cartoon is the context that enhances the music. Very few, including the judges, could tell if BK was trying to be funny with it or not. And that is one of the dangers of selecting a show like this.

And hey, I think this is a legit question and I'm thinking out loud with this. If a savvy and intelligent staff is at work here, a show like this could work and it wouldn't surprise me at all. However, I also wouldn't be surprised if the concept backfires. I wish them luck.

I can agree with some of your statements. My point was, I think BKs music on its own was entertaining--the "cartoon" feel it gave. I agree with you, and I did earlier in my first post about how I thought the show visually was just hard to sit through! Music alone, I thought BK did a good job with Paul Harts Cartoon. The show itself from a General Effect standpoint, yes, we both agree...train wreck. When its just the music alone, yeah you have a point. But when I listen to the CD I can actually say, the music itself was good, even if the show wasn't aesthetically pleasing. I've seen several cartoon shows pulled off--and the instructors/kids were not trying to be humerous or funny. But I have wondered some of the same things you are asking the forum. "Wtf are some of these designers thinking...?"--I will not judge Dutch Boy, until I see them. Who knows what else they have cooking up to go with this show.

Some corps probably just play the music they pick, because its entertaining, not because it has to visually stimulate some in the audience. I'll take a well played music book, over a book that suffers because someone is trying to show me the film.

Edited by ScadesBari

It seems to me that no matter what you think of the show idea or music or whatever, it's doing exactly what it's designed for. It's catching peoples attention. The minute you hear someones trying to do a south park show, the first thought is always "Are you serious?". I'm still not sure if the show will work, just the same at this point you never know if anyones show will really work. It all kinda seems the same in words. But no matter what, at this point the show is doing its job. Its catching peoples attention and if even 1 kid joins because they want do that show, my guess is that its a mission accomplished. I hope I get to check the show out sometime, should be interesting. Good luck D/B from at least one timpanist from another Canadian Rooted corps.

We appreciate all comments on anything we do, but you have to let us do it first !!

As for your comments Iplaytimpani, the comments of our cousins in Kavies are always respected !!

If you don't like..well.....you know.....BLAME CANADA !!!

Come on, give it up Rob...it wasn't funny 17 times ago. Making it bigger and red doesn't change it.

I loved the 1986 dutch boy show and was glad we were lucky enough to stay ahead of them all season

thanks for the compliment.. we really enjoyed performing that show. I met a lot of really great people from Bluecoats between 1986 and 1988! It was always fun to be at shows with Bloooooooooooooo! :blink:

thanks for the compliment.. we really enjoyed performing that show. I met a lot of really great people from Bluecoats between 1986 and 1988! It was always fun to be at shows with Bloooooooooooooo! :blink:

Neddy, I have to agree with you.

When I marched, in the 70's, the Bluecoats were always friendly and the support staff was just as nice !!

I had many friends in the Bluecoats as they had with us, the Dutch Boy Cadets, we had a lot of fun together.

Thanks BLUUUUUUUUUUUU !

I remember that show. But it should be noted that the songs used in that show were more along the line of assorted theme songs as opposed to the South Park material, which is more based in the comedy of the lyrics to enhance their effectiveness.

As I stated in my earlier post, I am also not 100% sold on the show yet either but I can GUARANTEE you the design team at Dutch Boy would NEVER pick South Park Music as a theme based on Lyrics!!! (Also as stated by Straemer) This show has been selected based on the MUSIC - REGARDLESS OF THE LYRICS. The same rules that also applied in 1986 when we selected cartoon music. I do agree that if you have some die hard South Park fans in the audience during the performance, that yes this could cause some inappropriate singing among the fans but hopefully people will not focus on the lyrics and focus on the performance.

Go Dutch!

• 2 weeks later...
Come on, give it up Rob...it wasn't funny 17 times ago. Making it bigger and red doesn't change it.

Smug rudeness like that doesn't make you any nicer.

Back away from the keyboard and go have a beer.

Edited by radiosteele