Why do corps have higher quality shows than others?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you guys say that the younger kids go to the lower corps to first gain experience and essentially prepare them for the higher level corps? Also if this was the case and you were to swith staff between the high level corps and the lower corps would the scores be closer to each other?

So here's a question:

If you took the BD kids and, oh let's say the Esperanza kids (for logistics sake) and swapped their members, would Esperanza make finals with a top 5 finish?

Not a knock on the "smaller" corps by any means, just wondering if a corps' name is that important to the judges.

Maybe not top 5, but I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to get into finals. From what I have heard not only was Esperanza small this past season (i heard something like low 40s in horns), but a huge % of the corps were high-school aged rookies.

And there is quite a big differance between a "rookie" in a corps like BD and a corps like Esperanza. A rookie in BD probably already marched 3-4 years in a corps like Esperanza, where as a rookie in a smaller corps is truly a rookie, marching a drum corps for their first time ever.

Also, smaller corps usually have a much younger staff. If you switched the members from BD and E, you probably would have a large number of staff at E that actually marched with the BD members not too long ago!

It is a combination of many things, but a corps name and reputation draws talent which is a huge part.

And there is quite a big differance between a "rookie" in a corps like BD and a corps like Esperanza. A rookie in BD probably already marched 3-4 years in a corps like Esperanza, where as a rookie in a smaller corps is truly a rookie, marching a drum corps for their first time ever.

Yeah, I've heard that there are no true rookies in BD. Most have at least two years experience in other corps, often division l.

So:

Highly talented and experienced members + older members + a dynamite faculty + an extremely successul history = a #### good corps. I just hope they burned those '05 guard uniforms. :P

Why is it that a corps such as the Blue Devils can make it to finals almost every year in comparison to a corps such as Crossmen when the kind of come in go between semifinals and finals when each of them work just as hard as the other.

Just curious.

Working hard does not neccessarily mean working smart. Efficient rehearsals are more productive. Older, more experienced members are better at making (and keeping) corrections on the first or second rep. Younger, less experienced members (and staff) generally need to run a rep several more times to make the same types of improvements the tops corps will make in 1 or 2 reps. Watch The Cavaliers or Blue Devils sometime...they are very good at this. Unfortunately, it has become common for members to march in a lower placing D1 or even D2/3 corps as practice and training before they audition for one of the "supercorps". Another trend that separates the haves and have-nots, IMO.

But to answer the bigger question, I honestly think retaining an experienced staff (both design and instructional) is the key to either moving up the ladder or to staying at the top, as Blue Devils, Cavaliers and Cadets have done. Of course, there are a lot of other factors (solid amin., strong leadership, philosophy, how the corps fits the judging sheets, money, identity...)

M

So, as a result of all this, should fans of younger D1 corps (Colts, Mandarins, Scades, Magic, etc...) adjust their expectations for where they want their corps to end up?

Here's what I mean: As a Mandarins fan, I should not expect them to go out and win a championship next year because, unless BD, SCV and Fever fold, they're not going to get that much bigger/older. A far better hopeful expectation would be for them to consistently make semis and maybe even push for a finals spot next year.

Let's be realistic. In today's corps world there are only 5 corps that can expect every year to contend for a championship: BD, SCV, Cadets, Cavies, Phantom. We should expect great shows from them (less '05) because they are the elite. Sure, maybe next year Crown or Blue or Madison breaks the top 4, and if so they should feel like they won a championship. But can any of the "mid-level" corps really be expected to win it all? I don't think so.

Regardless, all corps primary goal should be to perform an exciting show that leaves the fans wanting more, and to have a great time doing it. Who really cares who ends up where if all the shows are entertaining? I don't.

Regardless, all corps primary goal should be to perform an exciting show that leaves the fans wanting more, and to have a great time doing it. Who really cares who ends up where if all the shows are entertaining? I don't.

AGREED!! I don't really give a rat's rear end what the DCI judges say. All I ask of a corps is to entertain me. I have always been a Cadets fan, but their '05 show simply wasn't my "cup of tea." I rarely enjoyed Glassmen, but in '05, I don't know what happened to them, but they were really entertaining. They had one of the most entertaining shows I've ever seen. They entertained me much more than The Cadets. In either '02 or '03, The Cadets did "Bugle Boy" and got the most applause from fans night after night. I Loved 'em!! But, I believe they got 3rd or 4th that year. Standings mean nothing to me personally. I only hope the judging is done with integrity for the sake of the corps members. Because, as we all know, ALL corps members work their tails off and deserve to be judged fairly. :)

I would like to see two corps -- a top fiver and bottom sixer -- exchange uniforms and performance order before an early season show. In other words, BD wears Spirit's uniforms and performs in Spirit's spot while Spirit dons BD uniforms and goes on last. Stretching the realm of reality, neither the crowd nor the judges can know of the switch. My research question: What impact does performance order, name and uniform have on scores, early season?

Here are my thoguhts...

Age is a huge key. Cognitively, 15 year old members have a tougher time attaining what 21 year old members can in most situations.

I also think staff in some respects make a difference, however I do know a BUNCH of amazing instructors teaching 12th and down that could easily teach any top 5 corps.

I have always joked around with friends about this but I think that for all of June and half of July, each corps should perform in Jeans and a Polo shirt. They would only be called corps A, B, C... and each night it would change. Nobody would know who they are until mid July, after San Antonio. I completely believe that you would see things you never thought possible. I realize that this could never happen but it is an interesting idea.