Would it be disrespectful to make it but not join?

If I were to make a division 2 corps and then try out for division 1 and make that as well how would I tell them that I would rather march with a division 1 corps? Would it be disrespectful to make a corps but join another?

I ask this because I had recently tried out for Impulse earlier this year and Pacific Crest has their auditions later. Now all my questions would be pointless if I were to only make one or not make it at all but in the case where I do make it to both I would rather march with Pacific Crest because they're division 1, but when Pacific Crest have auditions I would most likely have been told if I made it to Impulse or not.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

no matter how you put it, you're probably gonna sound stuck-up, w/ that message. i'm sure you don't mean to, but that just goes w/ what you;re saying...

i don't think it should be that awkward of a position to be in... just tell them that you enjoyed their organization and are planning to march somewhere else for the summer. i don't think they're going to attack you for deciding to go somewhere else, unless you make a big deal out of how your main reason for doing it is because they're a division 2 corps... honestly, i know i would much rather be in a top tier division 2 corps than in a middle-of-the-pack div 1 corps, but that's just my own opinion. as long as you're humble about it, i don't really see it being a problem.

I think it really doesnt matter what it looks or sounds like. IMO, as someone who just aged out and quite frankly did not get out of drum corps all I wanted, I think you should do whatever you feel you need to do to make your short time in drum corps the best experiance you can. Figure out what YOUR goals are and do what you need to make them happen. If you worry about what others think, you are gonna find yourself on that field during age-out night with goals left undone but no time left to do them. And that is not a good feeling. Trust me.

Many many marchers have done the same thing you are talking about. All corps know that some kids audition around....even different D1's. Truth is you can do whatever you want until you sign a contract. As long as you don't sign anything until you have made a concrete selection, your not violating any DCI/corps regualtions. Just be honest and upfront with your caption heads and let them know, they'll understand.

like the guy above me said, be straight up with your caption heads and any other relevant staff about your situation. If they care about you as a person, they'll understand what desires you may have. Chances are, it's likely that they also experienced a situation where they were trying out for more than one corps. Most staff members understand the inherent pecking order of drum corps anyway. I personally think it's great that you're still going to the Impulse camps and whatever rehearsals they have, knowing that you may end up at PC. Doing the opposite (getting cut from PC and THEN calling up Impulse to see if they have spots) is not unheard of but would probably hurt your chances of getting a spot later on in the season.

I'll never forget one of the things an instructor said to me when I first auditioned for corps:

Just as much as you are auditioning for the corps, the corps is auditioning for you. You are fully free to find a corps that is a good fit for you---not just in terms of competitive standing, but also in terms of atmosphere, vibe, etc.

Every corps is used to people dropping out for a number of reasons in the beginning of the season. Don't worry about it. Go where you want to go and make yourself happy.