? for "experienced" DCI fans

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never saw it live, but it's a fantastic show. Stone Ground Seven still is one of the best drum solos of all time. Still.

The drill, IMO, gets too much praise for its "revolutionary" aspects. It's a great drill, but less than half of it is asymmetrical, ie lacking any axis of symmetry. The opener and drum solo are completely symmetrical (opener starts with an isosceles triangle but resolves itself almost immediately), Evita is stunningly not. I love the way the candy cane forms out of segments and lines. The Jupiter section is great musically, and the idea of the horn voices answering each other "across the galaxy" is great, then after the "German compass" the show finishes with the symmetrical "I Vow to Thee, My Country" part of Jupiter.

A great show, but perhaps not as shocking as some might think. YMMV, of course. And State of the Art still kicks azz. I still remember hearing the horn parts in the drum solo and freaking OUT.

SCV 80 broke some new ground and included music which would stand the time test. But, from what I saw people weren't so excited that it was revolutionary as they were upset that SCV 80 couldn't get a score because of the chances they were taking. They were surely among the most talented of the year and that showed in 81 when they went traditional and won the whole ball of wax. I think their 7th place finish gave fuel to the changes in judging which were to come. It was also among the first shows to play a piece of music the way it actually goes. The end of Jupiter, for instance, had no added 2 minute power chords or overblown ending, just Holst. This was less than gratifying for some fans. Still one of my top three favorite shows.

Having seen SCV many times that year, I was amazed how "different" that show was. SCV had based their entire being on "Tradition", and now here they were being anything but traditional. From the opener in the upper right corner,to the candy cane concert formation, to the rotating, moving circles of "Jupiter" this was simply amazing. Did I appreciate it then like I do now? Hmmmmm,..... I'm not sure. But there is absolutely no denying that SCV truly broke ground that year.

/Trivia time: What was the original concert music used by SCV in 1980? (No Frank, you cant play. ^0^ )

Are you talking about that candy cane shape for Evita?

yep.

Having seen SCV many times that year, I was amazed how "different" that show was. SCV had based their entire being on "Tradition", and now here they were being anything but traditional. From the opener in the upper right corner,to the candy cane concert formation, to the rotating, moving circles of "Jupiter" this was simply amazing. Did I appreciate it then like I do now? Hmmmmm,..... I'm not sure. But there is absolutely no denying that SCV truly broke ground that year.

/Trivia time: What was the original concert music used by SCV in 1980? (No Frank, you cant play. ^0^ )

Caravan

Regards,

John Swartz

Ding Ding Ding...We have a winner!!! b**bs

I remember sitting down at a Burger King near Legion Field (actually near the highway) after prelims and hearing some random guy muttering to himself "#$%^&* rotating arcs. Everyone's doing rotating arcs".

I knew Sarnia Sam would get the "Caravan" answer. Most folks have seen only the finals version of this show (on video), post all the revisions that were made. The original production was a bit more daring musically, but no one can deny that those fortissimo triplets on "Don't Cry fo Me, Argentina" became something of a Santa Clara icon.

But Barduhn's "Caravan" chart was a gem (No surprise there. He was writing for the Kenton Band at the time.), especially coupled with Ralph's percussion scoring, and "Stoneground Seven" with the horns covering the Singers Unlimited parts...no contest. There was also a nifty French Horn solo by Myron Rosander, who shortly thereafter graduated with highest honors from the Pete Emmons University of Visual Design.

I remember thinking....how in the world can they judge that? What happens to the side 1 judge if the corps isn't on his side of the field.

I absolutely loved Stone Ground Seven back then and Jupiter....well....I enjoyed the entire show just like I enjoy it today.