Penalties

:blink:

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT NOBODY LISTED THE MOST FAMOUS PENALTY IN DCI HISTORY......

(and in VFW that year as well)

THE "AMEN" by the Garfield Cadets, which cost them 1 full pint at DCI finals, and at VFW Prelims and Finals

(Given for Singing on the field - a large NO-NO) 1977.

:blink: Is everybody else having a brain cramp, or was this instance just overlooked by the rest of the world...???

Pat

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How were they in finals if they were almost dead last in prelims? In other words, what were they doing competing in finals?

Did they win the year before?

After the penalty, they were in 9th place with a score of 70.00, so they still made finals.(If you are going by the earlier post, it only lists the top 12 prelim scores....the number of corps in finals. there were probably something like 40 corps in prelims) They came back to win with a score of 80.30

And yes, they were also the defending champions, so regardless of prelim placement, they appeared last at finals. Keep in mind also that it took two days to get finals in at the 73 U.S. Open....prelims were on Friday and Saturday with finals on Saturday night, but due to the torrential rain and thunderstorms, finals was called off after several corps, and completed on Sunday. One of the wildest years ever in Marion!!

Edited by Bob Brady

There may be more of yall out there who can credit this legend a little better than I can, but I guess the reason that the Troopers didn't make it into finals in 1995 was because they got a penalty---for beating the #### out of someone who broke their ranks at a previous show in Stillwater, MN.

I have never gotten to the bottom of what actually happened, even as a member of the Trooper organization...

any insights?

1995, The Troopers received a 3 point penalty at DCI Preview of Champions prelims for the incident at Stillwater, MN earlier that week.

This is the story as I heard it: They were marching in 2 files from their warmup site to the stadium, I believe, when a member of Pioneer's staff (someone who obviously knows better and wouldn't break ranks on purpose) was caught right in front of them, and without any time or any way to get out of the way, he decided to stand up against a pole. But the corps' 2 files went around the pole, one on either side. The guy was trapped in the middle, and the corps interpreted this as "breaking ranks". Then they beat him up.

I can't believe no one mentioned 2004 where Jersey Surf took a 2 point penalty at Grand Finals.

What was it for?

What was it for?

The Surf penalty? They were doing an Elvis show and when they got to the end the DM unveiled a large spinning wheel with the phrases "Finish the show" and "Take the penalty" on it...with the penalty choice being about 3/4 of the wheel.

Spion the wheel....it lands on "Take the Penalty" (I've heard that the wheel was weighted so it'd land on that choice)....then the corps comes across the front sideline and finishes the show right in the face of teh crowd. The penalty was for violating the field boundaries. There was QUITE the discussion on DCP about it after it happened.

What was it for?

They rushed the stands. They had a big pinwheel at the end of their show that when it was spun by the drum major gave a few options of either finishing the show, or taking the penalty. it landed on finish the show, the DM moved the dial to "take the penalty" and then the corps tore off the field, rushed right to the edge of the stands and blew their kahonis off. I was only able to see it on DVD, but it was sweeeet.

I think it was a good way for Div II and III to say, "thanks for putting us in a dinky stadium that has a track seperating us and the crowd A#$WIPE"....or maybe it was anti-war propganda. I really don't know. But I admire Jersey surf for doing it. OH BABY!

Edited by cwillpayne

:angry:

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT NOBODY LISTED THE MOST FAMOUS PENALTY IN DCI HISTORY......

(and in VFW that year as well)

THE "AMEN" by the Garfield Cadets, which cost them 1 full pint at DCI finals, and at VFW Prelims and Finals

(Given for Singing on the field - a large NO-NO) 1977.

:angry: Is everybody else having a brain cramp, or was this instance just overlooked by the rest of the world...???

Pat

Good call my friend. I completely forgot about that one.