What would happen if...

t-mac

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, and I have an opinion about what the issue is. I honestly believe the limiting factor is the arranging style of Michael Klesch (notice I didn't say that HE was the problem....) In going back and listening to his arrangements through the years, he simply does not write the demand into the shows that are needed to score more highly. Granted, his arrangements give a nice full sonority, but you notice there is little meat in the book of the mellophones. The sopranos stay in a pretty static range. Rarely do you hear any sixteenth notes. If a) Crown uses a different arranger that could increase demand more (i.e. a Jay Bocook) or they choose a show concept that allows for more flowing movement of lines, then they could get the GE and brass scores higher and make an even larger push upwards.

I dont' agree. Listen to Crown's brass book..the level of exposure was very high..were their 32nd note runs all over the place? no..but there were plenty of exposed attacks places where timing was critical.

MK writes to the level of the performers that he has. Note as the brassline at CC became more mature, the music became more difficult.

Contrary to popular belief, you dont need to write a plethora of 16th notes into your book to be successful.

Remember that Bocook wrote for CC from 1998-2000. ..lets just say they got his 2nd best efforts. :sshh:

I bet crown's guard would move under tosses and not have have some "meat" in their guard work while they do drill!

i'm assuming that's a knock on the cadets guard staff. to which i reply - watch the 2005 cadets ballad. they do more in that song then any guard (including crown) did in their show. whoever wrote that (i'm assuming greg lagola and travis estler) = genius.

Being a Crown Alumni from the very days, I’m very impartial and would LOVE to see it. But DCI being DCI the only way Crown is going to finish where Cadets finished was to switch names and uni’s. Bottom line. I honestly believe the staffs and kids are all from the same mold and are all very good and the only difference is the history behind each corp!

If Cadets and Crown staff switched, some members would follow the staff and go to the other corps, some members would stay with the organization.

Cadets members who are close-minded would not want to join Crown because they placed lower than them, those more open-minded wouldput faith in the staff and give it a go in the new corps. Those who love the organization would stay and hope their program remains the same to them (definately wouldn't be the same)

Crown members who are eager to gain a title would join Cadets due to their name and history, and those who love the organization for what it is would either genuinly follow the staff, or remain and hope the integrity of Crown remains (things would no doubt be different)

The group dynamics would be changed so much that there is no telling how different the judging would end up.

The best written show won't go anywhere if the members can't perform it.

The show performed the best will win, end of discussion.

That's as much as I can speculate.

*note* Crown was my favorite show of 2005. Its deep enough for me to find something new each time and I haven't even got the DVD's yet. The Cadets got me the first time with their GE but I've pretty much worn that show out before I even will see the DVD. It wasn't as difficult to understand as some people made it out to be, and in fact was portrayed and performed SO WELL that I can't dive any deeper into it.

I dont' agree. Listen to Crown's brass book..the level of exposure was very high..were their 32nd note runs all over the place? no..but there were plenty of exposed attacks places where timing was critical.

MK writes to the level of the performers that he has. Note as the brassline at CC became more mature, the music became more difficult.

Contrary to popular belief, you dont need to write a plethora of 16th notes into your book to be successful.

Remember that Bocook wrote for CC from 1998-2000. ..lets just say they got his 2nd best efforts. :sshh:

The exposure wasn't there, cause the composition value within the show wasn't there. That came from someone affiliated with highly repected source in DCI. If the composition values of the drill and music book gets bumped up, so will their score. They out performed thier show last year, plain and simple. But, you put that sound with a complex show design and then everyone will be talking about them. Trust me, I loved the show last year, even though it wasn't a top 6 show. I really thought the staff underestimated those kids and I could not believe that they did not change any of the book to add more complexity, but I guess they were committed to what it was. Be ready for them move this year, IF, they kick the design up a notch or two.

I agree, and I have an opinion about what the issue is. I honestly believe the limiting factor is the arranging style of Michael Klesch (notice I didn't say that HE was the problem....) In going back and listening to his arrangements through the years, he simply does not write the demand into the shows that are needed to score more highly. Granted, his arrangements give a nice full sonority, but you notice there is little meat in the book of the mellophones. The sopranos stay in a pretty static range. Rarely do you hear any sixteenth notes. If a) Crown uses a different arranger that could increase demand more (i.e. a Jay Bocook) or they choose a show concept that allows for more flowing movement of lines, then they could get the GE and brass scores higher and make an even larger push upwards.

I'd invite you to listen to Phantom Regiment's 2000 horn book again.

Give that a listen and tell me that that isn't one of the hardest brass books so far this century....(played by a 4th place hornline :) )

Edited by gumby5647

Such odd threads around here lately.. :laugh: