Please explain

joeb

it was a tad cheesy . . . then they tried to funk it up, and add all kinds of left hand stuff that was dirty.

in fact, that drumline was dirty period.

I have to agree. Aside from the snare part in the solo that drumline did nothing for me.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id have to agree with most I just did not care for that cymbal ride in the Largo section .. as for a tacit battery ... isnt there such thing as extra keyboards or aux parts ... could they not have learnd horn for that little section of the show. and as far as my take on the 05 Glassmen version of New World ... that has GOT to be the most messed up, tackey, god aweful version I have EVER heard of that piece

Keith, I'll have to respectfully disagree with your opinion on the Glassmen's arrangement of New World. I'll go so far as to say, musically, it's easily in my top four or five favourite shows of the summer (didn't Robert Smith arrange it). This is drum corps, no one holds precisely true to an original arrangement, and no attempt should be made to exactly recreate a composition when the instrumentation is completely different. Different idioms call for different arrangements. I think they did a fantastic take that kept the piece fresh, relevant, and gave us a new way of viewing the original composition. Messed up, tacky, and god-awful are far from words I'd use to describe such a clever, original, tasteful, and well-thought-out production such as theirs. If you want to talk tacky and god-awful, we can instead talk about a certain poorly-constructed and poorly-performed attempt at impersonating Bjork.

How's Cali treating you? Must be nice not sitting under inches of snow all winter?

well that instructor did a great job. he pointed out hwere to look for the ticks

Id have to agree with most I just did not care for that cymbal ride in the Largo section .. as for a tacit battery ... isnt there such thing as extra keyboards or aux parts ... could they not have learnd horn for that little section of the show. and as far as my take on the 05 Glassmen version of New World ... that has GOT to be the most messed up, tackey, god aweful version I have EVER heard of that piece

That's funny, I thought Glassmen's show this year was fun and inventive. Do you know the background of why Dvorak wrote the music anyway? In that context itself, what Glassmen did actually makes sense. I honestly don't understand what some of you expect, it's a drum corps show, and arrangers have to make 11.5 minutes of music out HOURS while still doing something creative. That is an arrangers/designers job. G-Men 05 is far from tacky or god awful.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

Well, +I+ liked it ...

What did you think of Glassmen '05?

I didn't like the rock beat and funking up of the Largo in Phantom '89, but I did like Glassmen '05. In another thread I talked about how I knew ahead of time that they were doing a spin on New World Symphony, instead of trying to do it verbatim or in the exact same style as the original. Knowing this ahead of time I wasn't shocked or disappointed when I saw the show, I could watch with an open mind. I feel that Glassmen '05 didn't do Dvorak, they did an ARRANGEMENT of Dvorak.

Phantom on the other hand... Imagine you go to a symphony concert. And Dvorak 9 is on the program. They play the first movement and it's awesome. Then they get to the 2nd movement and it starts out really nice too. But then halfway through, Tommy Lee comes out and starts playing a rock beat to the music with the orchestra. WHAT???? What's he doing here??? Then he walks off and the orchestra plays mvts. 3 and 4 and it's awesome.

When Phantom did that it seems just WAY out of place! When Glassmen did what they did this year, it didn't seem out of place because we knew (or at least I did) what it was supposed to be before it started.

well that instructor did a great job. he pointed out hwere to look for the ticks

:laugh:

I love the ride cymbal part in the ballad!

actually, it was one of their instructors who yelled that...

That sounds like a lot of hooey. A Phantom instructor is going to yell over a backfield moment in his own show? Who was it?