What Age Were You When You Joined

At 21 I joined Chops. This was the first I had heard of senior corps, and I had never marched a junior corps because I was taking summer classes at college. But I wouldn't have done it any other way.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in a little baton corps in junior high in '70? The Carroltones.

I was in the White Knights honor guard in '72?

There were no corps of any real significance where I lived.

We mostly just followed Dad around. Yankee Rebels(all men corps)~grunts~

In 2004 at the age of 46, I joined Readings guard because I'd always wanted to do so as a child. I did really well for a rookie. But tore the heck out of the tendons in my arms and sholders. Had to bail in Lewisburg. It was worth it to me. I impressed the heck out of myself. Still can't believe I learned how to do all that cool guard work. I just wish I'd been a little better received. It was a rather lonely endevor. Dad woulda been so proud. Especially that I stuck in there as long as I did.I hated like heck to bail on the Corps. My arms are paying the price now. LOL

2005 marked my first time playing a baritone. (Never played anything but a guitar before and sight read to sing, in high school. I did outstanding! Had such a great time playing with people my own age. LOL I guess I learned alot more than I knew sitting in on Dads rehearsals.

Was it worth it hurting myself to do guard at such a late time in my life?

You bet! I got it out of my system. LOL No shoulda, woulda, couldas.

God, I love Drum Corps!

I was 15 when i joined the Sound of Long Island and I was 31 when i retired from competitive activity.