Mini corps drill

LOL, sorry Nick, my brutha, I couldn't resist. You shuffle your feet down the street to the beat. Well, i'll get no beer from Nick this summer.

Marching parades and marching drill are two different things. I hate marching parades, but, I can march any drill. I know how to "_ _ _ _ _ _ _" MARCH!!!! The only problem I have is the initial memorization. However, after a few run-throughs, I'm "IN like FLYNN." I teach M&M, so, I must know how to march. I show the High School kids how I do it, and they have won their class (AAA) 2 years in a row, so, I must know how to march. So get off of me!!! Think of something else to make fun of me about! Why don't you guys make fun of my playing, because I really "_ _ _ _ _ _ _" suck at that too. Too much vibrato, my tone sucks, can't read music, can't march and play. Sometimes I wonder why I am in Drum Corps. I don't fit in, because I really "_ _ _ _ _ _ _" SUCK! Man do I suck! Nick sucks! I realize that I have just opened a HUGE can of worms. Go ahead.....make my "_ _ _ _ _ _ _" day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

................yeah, I'm ######!

Edited by SoloSop420

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marching parades and marching drill are two different things. I hate marching parades, but, I can march any drill. I know how to "_ _ _ _ _ _ _" MARCH!!!! The only problem I have is the initial memorization. However, after a few run-throughs, I'm "IN like FLYNN." I teach M&M, so, I must know how to march. I show the High School kids how I do it, and they have won their class (AAA) 2 years in a row, so, I must know how to march. So get off of me!!! Think of something else to make fun of me about! Why don't you guys make fun of my playing, because I really "_ _ _ _ _ _ _" suck at that too. Too much vibrato, my tone sucks, can't read music, can't march and play. Sometimes I wonder why I am in Drum Corps. I don't fit in, because I really "_ _ _ _ _ _ _" SUCK! Man do I suck! Nick sucks! I realize that I have just opened a HUGE can of worms. Go ahead.....make my "_ _ _ _ _ _ _" day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

................yeah, I'm ######!

So I guess we shouldn't be expecting to see you on a "WHEATIES" box any time soon....right? b**bs

I can TEACH people how to march too. LOL...and I used to march with a championship corps as well as anyone else on the field.

But if I really wanted to do drill and play, I would go march with Empire or Brigs or Cru. Physically I unable to do that from the previous surgeries I have had. So that means I cant perform anymore? Mini corps still allows me that situation. My belief is there are more like me than there like you... People that still would like to perform but cannot do it like they used to. Mini corps provides that venue for us. That is why I think you are getting so much resistance.

Dont forget Nick, I have seen you on the field before. And I have heard you play while doing drill. I have been trying to be easy on you. I wasnt going to get into this with you, but you keep saying that you want to get scored for your marching. That may not be what you REALLY want. Let me ask Dave Seeley what he thinks about it....

and DONT BE MAD!!!

Donny

Edited by donnymusic

As long as everyone else is throwing in their 2-cents, here's mine. Keep mini corps one caption. Allow additional points for "Visual Effect," whether be Cru's color guard folks or Erie's drill, but include percussion as part of the overall music caption. I think that the expectation from the judges is such that lower scores are really less important that how the corps shake out in the end. After watching the DVD of this past contest I'd say the judges pretty much got it right.

In the end, it's not really a brass caption or a percussion caption, but an entertainment caption. Was the audience, and judges, entertained by that mini corps, and how much compared to everyone else? A marching requirement will, first of all, require a more consistent venue for performance. This could be a chunk of a football field, or (maybe more practically) a basketball court. This will allow all corps to develop a show as they see fit, and give visual cueing spots for marching reference. That said, I'm less in favor of focusing on a marching show, than keeping the focus where it is; on entertainment. Marching-sure, props-sure, singing-if you have to, dancing-sure (I wanna see Donny in a tutu), but first, last and always, entertainment.

Mike Covell

Contra- Ghost Riders

So I guess we shouldn't be expecting to see you on a "WHEATIES" box any time soon....right? b**bs

:worthy:

Hang on, Gene! If he wants to, I might be able to accommodate him.

My wife works for General Mills, and I know that they may still have a way of doing a custom Wheaties box.

My son had one done last year for hockey...Actually kinda cool.

If anybody wants to look into that, let me know! I can get pricing info for you.

:P

Pat

Ya know......after almost 10 full pages of discussions/comments/etc. maybe it's time for a poll. To

me it seems obvious that without a caption for M&M that drill is a moot point. The TBIRDS have always done drill and may continue to do so but that is a personal choice of ours. (starting to run out of reasons why)

Don't know how to put up a poll on this site but it might be time. Can somebody do this?

Dont forget Nick, I have seen you on the field before. And I have heard you play while doing drill. I have been trying to be easy on you. I wasnt going to get into this with you, but you keep saying that you want to get scored for your marching. That may not be what you REALLY want.

Donny

Rut roh.

One of the things I enjoyed the most about the mini corps competition was the variety on the field; each corps was able to do something different, whether it was stand still and play, do a little bit of movement, do some choreography or even full-scale drill, each corps had full license to be creative with its show. I think it would be a mistake to start trying to put more restrictions on it or treat it as a regular drum corps competition instead of part of I&E; mini corps would lose some of their ability to be creative with their shows.

One of the things I enjoyed the most about the mini corps competition was the variety on the field; each corps was able to do something different, whether it was stand still and play, do a little bit of movement, do some choreography or even full-scale drill, each corps had full license to be creative with its show. I think it would be a mistake to start trying to put more restrictions on it or treat it as a regular drum corps competition instead of part of I&E; mini corps would lose some of their ability to be creative with their shows.

What my esteemed contra brother said! I think mini corps should be a venue to let the creative juices flow!

It's about entertainment for the masses and fun for the members IMHO.

I like the idea of putting marching in the area of GE. That way, nobody gets killed if they choose not to march. One corps may have soloists that make Maynard or Doc sound like 6th graders, another corps may have a book that makes the crowd throw frisbees and light lighters, or 14 horns who can blow the stadium down (a guy can dream, right? :D ), and yet another corps may have a drill that has the fans screaming for more. A lot of things can make for good GE, and marching could be one of them. It shouldn't be a requirement, however. It would be neat, though, if the area could be enlarged (somebody mentioned a basketball court) to allow those who want to march to have the room to do it. For those who don't, the bigger area wouldn't matter. But if it can't be done, no harm done.

Edited by davidp