Mini corps drill

Thought it might be interesting to see what folks think about why you should, or should not, add drill to a mini corps show. I missed last year, so I didn't get to see what it was like to have a mini corps show in a stadium. Does that change anything in how the show is presented?

If you're in a mini corps, are you going to do drill?

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought it might be interesting to see what folks think about why you should, or should not, add drill to a mini corps show. I missed last year, so I didn't get to see what it was like to have a mini corps show in a stadium. Does that change anything in how the show is presented?

If you're in a mini corps, are you going to do drill?

w/o hesitation, the THUNDERBIRDS say: "YES!"

Is drill even a judged caption for mini corps?

Personally I'm not a big fan of drill. I think it detracts from the drumcorps experience, but is in part, part of the experience. In senior corps when you're weekends only, squeezing in 80 sets of drill and 25 horn manuals, takes pretty much ALL of your allocated rehearsal time. I prefer to play, because at the end of the season, that is what carries over to the next season. It's not like I'm gonna be asked what my spot was for set #9 of the opener for 198? in a job interview.

The T-Birds do a few moves, just to change sets, to enhance the music, and to provide a little of the field corps experience for ourselves and the crowd. It sometimes costs us, because we usually start late (August). It takes time we could use to clean our show, but that's how it usually plays out. It's a blast, especially this year in the stadium, on the field. wow, I can't spell today.

Edited by Mike_B

Is drill even a judged caption for mini corps?

Personally I'm not a big fan of drill. I think it detracts from the drumcorps experience, but is in part, part of the experience. In senior corps when you're weekends only, squeezing in 80 sets of drill and 25 horn manuals, takes pretty much ALL of your allocated rehearsal time. I prefer to play, because at the end of the season, that is what carries over to the next season. It's not like I'm gonna be asked what my spot was for set #9 of the opener for 198? in a job interview.

The drill is one of my favorite parts! It's one of the things I missed so much from h.s.marching band. I love to spend the time arranging my self in the forms on the field -not really knowing what we really look like- and then being able to watch us on video doing these really beautiful sets.

The T-Birds do a few moves, just to change sets, to enhance the music, and to provide a little of the field corps experience for ourselves and the crowd. It sometimes costs us, because we usually start late (August). It takes time we could use to clean our show, but that's how it usually plays out. It's a blast, especially this year in the stadium, on the field. wow, I can't spell today.

Well put Mikey,.........

It is not a caption, but should be high on the list of things of what makes up a "Mini Corps",..............otherwise, I see it as more of a mixed ensemble,.............I almost see the analogy as: DCI has DIII, DII and DI,..............DCA has Mini Corps, Class A and Open Class

Every Mini Corps this year was entertaining, and could/should be looked to, to fill out the lineups of some shows to give promoters the option to have a larger show line up,........... more entertainment value for the fan,..............let them get an adjudication by the judging panel, all in an effort to improve the product for the championships held DCA weekend,..........

Have a look at this years DVD of the Mini Corps show, and you will see some real nice stuff!

IMHO, The scores would drop drastically if these groups would have their marching judged. What Erie and Renegades and Ghost Riders did last was about the extent of what should be done...again IMHO.

This conversation has been thrown around for a few years now with the idea of percussion judging as well. If the mini corps decide to have the judging done differently than it is, I would say they need to agree on what it is they want. To my knowledge that has NOT been done. Really the mini corps venue is what it is...Mostly horns and effect. If you take those two seriously, and do a little drill and show some percussion...that formula has been the winner for the last few years.

Donny

I'd like to see drill added, personally. However, it's very entertaining as it is. I could see how a class A or open drum corps, who has to work on a field show for the big group, would balk at having to learn an extra "show," and I respect that. And, I guess it also depends on how a person sees minicorps as an entity (a miniature drum corps, or a big ensemble?). I'd enjoy it either way. Being in the stadium at Scranton this year was really amazing, and I could see the plusses of marching in a stadium show.

While I'm thinking about it, what happened to the Minicorps.org page? I only get a big white space when I go to it now. :(

I got both the minicorps CDs and DVDs. I'm really pleased.

While I'm thinking about it, what happened to the Minicorps.org page? I only get a big white space when I go to it now. :(

^^^^^

I am a big fan of Mini Corps,

I definitely prefer a bit of drill. I think it adds something to the performance. And I think some credit should be given for percussion that involves more than a trap set. Other wise you just have a large horn ensemble, #### throw in a few guard if your still under the number limit. The term Mini Corps should mean just that.

By the way, what ever happened to the Mini Corps assosciation that was being worked on, any news?

Still trying to drag a Mini Corps out of Canada :)

Larry

Kawartha Kavaliers