All-Age Corps influence on younger members

I got the idea for this topic from reading some previous discussions involving ages of members.

Does being in an All-Age Corps have a mostly positive or negative influence on the young members of our corps?

I know what the majority of the responses are going to be BUT I know there are people out there that are going to disagree with the masses.

I could make this a poll but responses involve so much more than just a yes or no answer. Plus I wanna hear what everyone really thinks about it.

Lets discuss.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'll get the ball rolling here.

I'm not sure I qualify, because I’m not sure if you are talking about members who skew younger, or members who are young enough to still have DCI eligibility.

I will be 23 when I step on the field for my second year with the Kilties. I have had an extraordinary experience. Not only have the people there been great, but I get to play beats written by the man who wrote a championship show (Chris Thompson). Learning from him is on the whole a great experience.

Not to mention I got to hear stories about guys like Mitch Markovich from people who marched when he did/taught. I played that guy's solos in High School, how cool is that. I think that on the whole the great thing about All Age Corps is that it is a place to keep legacies alive. It gives entertainers a chance to do what they do best for years to come, and that is to entertain. Ok I'm off topic, let me return.

In no way can I see anyone marching a year with any drum corps being a negative influence. Drum Corps at any level can only be seen as a positive activity and experience for everyone who gets involved.

That’s my $3.50 (Tree Fiddy).

Edited by bddavidson

I was 19 when I started with Carolina Gold. It was definitely a positive influence for me. I was around people that had already had experiences with that kind of thing and could share them with me. Also, it was a way to stay involved with marching (after high school) while not having to leave behind other responsibilities. I know I didn't have the same experience junior corps folks had. I am well aware of that. However, it was clear to me that all-age was a different animal.

Honestly, one of the best things to me was having the environment filled with a variety of people. Experience with inexperience, professional and novice, age and youth. Seeing the dynamics that came into existence between the different types of people in different stations in the corps (section leaders, marching members, staff, admin, etc.) was a very educational experience. I got to see how some deal with younger or "greener" people in positions of authority. You get to see mentor relationships form. You see teachers become students again. You see people that lead by example and people that lead from experience. All of this taught me more about the way people interact and how to deal with various social situations than I could have learned almost anywhere else.

I'm not sure I qualify, because I’m not sure if you are talking about members who skew younger, or members who are young enough to still have DCI eligibility.

I will be 23 when I step on the field for my second year with the Kilties. I have had an extraordinary experience. Not only have the people there been great, but I get to play beats written by the man who wrote a championship show (Chris Thompson). Learning from him is on the whole a great experience.

Not to mention I got to hear stories about guys like Mitch Markovich from people who marched when he did/taught. I played that guy's solos in High School, how cool is that. I think that on the whole the great thing about All Age Corps is that it is a place to keep legacies alive. It gives entertainers a chance to do what they do best for years to come, and that is to entertain. Ok I'm off topic, let me return.

In no way can I see anyone marching a year with any drum corps being a negative influence. Drum Corps at any level can only be seen as a positive activity and experience for everyone who gets involved.

i agree with you on that. i would pretty much be out of music right now with out all age corp. it is the one thing that has alowed me to contiune with music. and even while i was in highschool being in mon valley helped me out alot. you can ask any of the instructors and anyone who marched with me i could not march in a stright line at all. but over time i got better at it. my playing has picked up. there were alot of practices that for what ever reason outside of the staff i was the only brass player or one of only 2 or 3 brass players. so to kill time and atlest be able to get something done i would play with the staff who were also going to be on the field marching. so i was at 15 years old playing in a small drum corp with people who had been around the activity all their lives(most of the members then just like now were highschool aged. but i went to school with almost the entire hornline at that that time and most of the drumline. but there were still days i was there alone). and my junior year of highschool because of what i picked up in all age corp i was able to play well and have judgeso n tapes complitment me on my playing and for being an only mellophone and being able to hold don a section on my own.

while i think physicly all age might not be as demadning as junior corp. playing wise i this it is just as hard and for a younger member maby harder. because you might be at 15 standing next to a guy who has had the mouth piece he is useing longer than you have been alive. let alone how long they have vbeen playing. it kind of forces you to step up to that level.

and i'm starting to see that there are alot of people like me that for what ever reason didn't march junior corp. i don't feel like i an one of only a hand full that has no junior corp background anymore.

Edited by krazyivan

I got the idea for this topic from reading some previous discussions involving ages of members.

Does being in an All-Age Corps have a mostly positive or negative influence on the young members of our corps?

I know what the majority of the responses are going to be BUT I know there are people out there that are going to disagree with the masses.

I could make this a poll but responses involve so much more than just a yes or no answer. Plus I wanna hear what everyone really thinks about it.

Lets discuss.

All positive...IMHO

Going from Jr. to Sr. when I was 17. In my case, I believe that without the influence of the people I was around I wouldn't have lived the life I have. My success in my marriage, 34years so far, and my businesses I contribute it to having been around some of the finest people, teaching how to succeed in more than just DC. I'm sure there are others that feel the same way....

Though I "grew up" in DC during the 60's, 70's, and 80's and I know that DC has changed, the "lessons of success" have NOT.

Believing in yourself, working hard, listening to those who have gone before you, no compromises-do what's right, are not just to get you Championship rings and patches in DC.......

As I said, IMHO

Tony B)

I was 16 when I joined Westshoremen and had to ride with some Board members my first year. (Deal with my mother to let me join.) So #### nervous I hardly spoke to anyone. But being with people outside of my age group who had experienced different things was one huge step into getting into the "outside world". Really feel it helped me to accept people for who they are and not to get excited about people who seem different to me.

Conversation between two corps members I still remember from Keystone Kavaliers (late 1973).

"VA (Veterans Affairs) call you back yet?"

"Yeah, stupid ###### ######s still told me to wait. When I got my ####### butt shot at (Viet Nam) those ######s shooting at me weren't waiting!!"

I had just gotten my driver license and I get to hear this! :blink: Welcome to the real world Jimmy!!!

I was 16 when I joined Westshoremen and had to ride with some Board members my first year. (Deal with my mother to let me join.) So #### nervous I hardly spoke to anyone. But being with people outside of my age group who had experienced different things was one huge step into getting into the "outside world". Really feel it helped me to accept people for who they are and not to get excited about people who seem different to me.

Conversation between two corps members I still remember from Keystone Kavaliers (late 1973).

"Yeah, stupid ###### ######s still told me to wait. When I got my ####### butt shot at (Viet Nam) those ######s shooting at me weren't waiting!!"

I had just gotten my driver license and I get to hear this! :blink: Welcome to the real world Jimmy!!!

:blink: Younger members who join Sr Corps(yes I prefer that term but I digress) can learn alot from the old timers-not about marching,playing etc, but life in general.The newer breed can bring in a freshenss (i.e. talent, physical shape) but the old timers can give life lessons( how to juggle family life,work, outside activities,advice for personal issues) as well as drum corps. Also of the old timers over 50 are actually in good shape!!!!!!!!

:blink: Younger members who join Sr Corps(yes I prefer that term but I digress) can learn alot from the old timers-not about marching,playing etc, but life in general.The newer breed can bring in a freshenss (i.e. talent, physical shape) but the old timers can give life lessons( how to juggle family life,work, outside activities,advice for personal issues) as well as drum corps. Also of the old timers over 50 are actually in good shape!!!!!!!!

I'll get a little more detailed for ya.

Would a marching/staff members outside the corps social activities (legal or illegal) be considered a bad influence to younger members say the age of Junior Corps eligibility? Eventhough what he/she contributes to their corps is greatly appreciated and makes that corps and the younger members better people and musicians?

Maybe that helps clarify the initial post or maybe not.

My take is that whatever goes on with a member outside of the corps is theirs and in by no means has a negative influence on what I have learned, nor should it be considered a bad influence to younger members. I've learned a lot from everyone I have marched with at the Kilties. Every piece of advice, every story I am told from guys of all different "social backgrounds". No matter what those guys do outside of rehearsal they've been there and I haven't. I will listen to every word they have say cause it can only make me better. So now you know where I stand on the topic. Responses have been great, keep 'em coming. I would love to hear from some under 21 All-Age members out there.

WWBD

I was 16 when I joined the Hurcs. I came from a really lame HS program and learned a WHOLE lot. The patience everyone had as I learned the ropes was amazing and I will always be greatful for what I learned from the older members as a performer and as a person.