All-Age Corps influence on younger members

I say, “To each their own outside the corps.” Inside the Kilties its Wea Winnea Bea Daunted! If you come to rehearsals and performances ready to "bring it", than you have brought a positive experience to the corps.

Let’s not forget that everything in a person's life helps shape and mold them into the person that they are at any given time you see them. Given that I have had 100% positive experience with my corps, the Kilties, especially with my fellow members then I would have to say keep on doing what you are doing guys because we are on the way.

WWBD

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I joined gold in my final year of being eligible for Junior corps. Broken ankle kept me from marching the year before, and then starting to teach and not wanting to loose that for the summer put me at Gold. Great experience, and now i'm marching with 15-45 year olds. Great times, sometimes it puts people in interesting situations, but i think it's great. You get a good mix of people and experience.

the older guys were a godsend...not just about corps, but life in general. 3 of them today i still look up to as big brothers.

Eh, the only "negative" thing that may happen is that the kids start swearing more. hah. I marched with a few alumni corps from the time i was about 7....my father was in them. They were all very encouarging and taught me a lot about the activity. When I marched Hurcs in 03, it was just marching, playing, rehearsing, performing for me. I would imagine most senior corps have rules about drinking, and I didn't witness any underage kids drinking. Overall it was a good experience. I met a lot of people. It's good being a younger person with a bunch of adults. It's good for networking, wouldn't you think. Many of the people work with high school bands, so when you have a job interview, you might run into someone you know. It's always positive. I've seen many people since then, many who have been there at my shows routing me on with ECJ. Drum corps is a wonderful activity and it truly is a big family. My time in DCI I will treasure, because the years are so few...well not really with me....but once I age out, you can bet on seeing me marching DCA, probably with Hurcs if I'm still in CT.

I think it can go either way. Depends on the individual member, but that's true at any age.

The difference as I see it is that junior corps is about having a great young summer experience. Being a drum corps bum, if you will. That's something everyone should have an opportunity to do at least once and I wouldn't trade my DCI summers for the world. Junior drum corps is a vehicle for a greater purpose.

But, senior corps is about doing drum corps because you love it, not a vehicle for something else. There is no higher purpose involved, at least not that I ever saw. Members get a lot of different things out of any drum corps experience, junior or senior. But the emphasis is different.

Did anyone else find it strange going from senior to junior? I did. I'm not sure if one would notice the difference as strongly going from junior to senior. For me it meant going from complete freedom (once rehearsal was over) in seniors to a very structured environment in junior where every minute of every day was choreographed and planned by the adults. That took some getting used to. I remember the first lights out was like... What do you mean I HAVE to go to bed now? That was a completely foreign concept.

Getting back to the topic, I really liked being with a mixed age group. But, I think senior corps would do well to take younger (really all) members into greater account. If you wouldn't say it in front of your mother, why are you saying it in front of me, regardless of how old I am? A little decorum goes a long way.

Edited by MarimbasaurusRex

I remember the first lights out was like... What do you mean I HAVE to go to bed now? That was a completely foreign concept.

Some senior corps do this, too. I've seen an entire corps hustled off to their hotel rooms by their director.

For me it meant going from complete freedom (once rehearsal was over) in seniors to a very structured environment in junior where every minute of every day was choreographed and planned by the adults. That took some getting used to. I remember the first lights out was like... What do you mean I HAVE to go to bed now? That was a completely foreign concept.

Heh. Reminded me of basic training. I would have been less apt to deal with boot camp, if I hadn't had corps experience. But it is along the lines of going from complete freedom to virtually none. What do you mean I don't get a day off, to wear normal clothes, to smoke, to drink, and to do anything other than what you say? It's just a job after all, isn't it? This trombone sounds funny and damages things. Anyway, drifting OT.

There is an old saying which I believe goes something like this.

A student who learns all there is to learn and becomes the teacher that decides to stop persuing more knowledge is no more wiser than the student once was. What it exactly does it have to do with this topic..?

I have no freakin idea.