All-Age Corps influence on younger members

And now from the "Olde Pharte" perspective: I think its a good thing to have the younger ones in senior or "all age" corps. Some of us dinosaurs from time to time need to be reminded to evolve. change will happen - enjoy it.

/Besides we need someone to give us CPR. :P

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

drum corp has taught me self discipline. while i was in highschool i had band everyday so i didn't practice alot(no real shock i would bet to anyone who knows me.) i played while i was in school and that was it. but because of being in an all age corp i had to take the time and force myself to sit down and practice. which has carried over to school and work. i slacked off alot while i was in highschool. i barely passed a few classes. but now i'm a half way decent student. have good grades and i go through a full work day with no real problems with staying focused. because i only have corp practice once a week i have to do alot of work on my own. and i learned how to just sit down and get done what needs done.

I've said it before.... I joined Sunrisers at age 18. It was the corps' veterans, the 20-and-30-somethings (and some older than that) who showed the younger folks, like myself, how to "get it done."

What bothers me is when I hear from people who have no idea what a senior/all-age corps is all about that those corps are corruptive influences on young people, that the "kids" are exposed to drinking, drugs, etc. (and yes, I have heard stuff like this first-hand.)

Of course, things like drinking, etc. never happen in junior corps. And if you believe that, I have some oceanfront property in New Mexico to sell you. B)

I firmly believe that an all-age corps with a mix of veterans and younger people is a very good thing.

In fact, I'm not sure that an all-age corps made up almost entirely of teenagers will ever win a DCA title. (NOT a knock on teens here....please don't misunderstand me.) I think that, to be successful from a competitive standpoint, an all-age corps NEEDS a fair share of older veterans (in their 20s and beyond) who know how to get the job done with a limited amount of rehearsal time.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

I've said it before.... I joined Sunrisers at age 18. It was the corps' veterans, the 20-and-30-somethings (and some older than that) who showed the younger folks, like myself, how to "get it done."

What bothers me is when I hear from people who have no idea what a senior/all-age corps is all about that those corps are corruptive influences on young people, that the "kids" are exposed to drinking, drugs, etc. (and yes, I have heard stuff like this first-hand.)

Of course, things like drinking, etc. never happen in junior corps. And if you believe that, I have some oceanfront property in New Mexico to sell you. B)

I firmly believe that an all-age corps with a mix of veterans and younger people is a very good thing.

In fact, I'm not sure that an all-age corps made up almost entirely of teenagers will ever win a DCA title. (NOT a knock on teens here....please don't misunderstand me.) I think that, to be successful from a competitive standpoint, an all-age corps NEEDS a fair share of older veterans (in their 20s and beyond) who know how to get the job done with a limited amount of rehearsal time.

Fran

That right there is FANTASTIC ^OO^ ! Couldn't agree more

Fran

I have heard it too, from people who have been in DCA corps and should know better

To follow on with what Fran said, there was a lot of fear involved when Westshoremen opened the doors the whole way to under 21 members. Had a few minors before but the corps was about half HS and college age in '74 when we reformed. Also '74 was the first year for lot of females also.

Ironic part was the fear wasn't that the older members would corrpt the young set. Fear was some of the HS'ers would use corps as a way to party while away from mom and dad.

DCA corps and rules are WAY different than they were during the 60's and even 70's. Most corps management teams are aware that they need the younger members to survive. If there are any hard core partiers left around, they have to abide by the rules of the corps while around the corps. If they dont...they most likely would be asked to curtail or leave.Those days of drinking on the bus until we get there...are just not as normal as they were in the days of the "Animal Bus".

I just watched my 14 year old freshman son blow away all the seniors in his band on his trumpet at his recent jazz concert...I do know that. He has been around DCA corps with me since he was a toddler, and he has marched the last few years. He knows who to avoid and who its cool to hang out with. Kids now days are a lot smarter than we give them credit for.

I just dont see as much partying going on as the "good ole days". The adults are much more discreet for the most part, and administrators have had to figure out ways to keep the two generations apart for travelling and social times. The successful corps in DCA have this figured out quite well.

Donny

yeah Jim, you know how us #### Harrisburg area kids are :P

Repeating the quote I posted elsewhere:

WSM BoD member (1974) - "What happens if little Johnny comes home drunk or little Susie gets pregnant? We're gonna get the #### sued out of us. What the #### are we going to pay with, a drum stick and a flag pole?"

Just can't remember if it was Uncle Chuck or Uncle Bill L. who said it. :(

Then I read your and Bens post about 1980 AL in Pee-Buddy :sshh:

DCA corps and rules are WAY different than they were during the 60's and even 70's. Most corps management teams are aware that they need the younger members to survive.

Donny

:blink: And when Westshore opened up to minors in 1974 the reason was survival. The corps had been inactive and the only way to get enough warm bodies was to accept the young'uns. It wasn't an easy decision, but it beat folding up forever. And in the mid 70s very few corps made it back after disbanding, prime example then was the Brigs.

Notice I didn't say talented warm bodies :lol:

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari