Phantom Regiment faces $367K lawsuit

Murph

I doubt phantom is going anywhere, but the organization has hurt themselves by not addressing this issue before the bank took it to collections.

Trust me, it must have gone a lot bad for the bank to take these extreme measures.

If Phantom's cost of borrowing doubles, will it hurt the corps? Yes...............

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stephanie,

Is there something in my response to you that makes you think I thought you did? Why so defensive?

I was agreeing with you.

Stef

I'm not defensive just clarifying my response.

f6st.png!!!

:P

~>conner

My husband and I noticed that when we were watching the DVD from 2005 that not many members are from Ill. like drum corps used to be..but alot are from Texas, Tn etc...

Anyway, I do hope the drum corps community and the community from Rockford Loves Park, Ill. will pull together and support this great drum corps.

The question comes down to resources. If a town has $x to give toward community organizations, should a town choose to support a drum corps or, say, a minor league baseball team? Yes, the corps is a non-profit supporting "youth" but, then again, most people's idea of supporting youth does not include subsidizing out-of-state college students.

True, the only reason I've ever heard of Rockford, IL (or Rosemont, or Concord, CA, or Fort Mill, SC) is because of the corps based there. But, ultimately, what value do those communities derive from that? I'm certainly not planning to vacation in any of those places.

I'm not advocating that any corps should recruit only within x miles of their base. Frankly, I don't think that alone should warrant a community's financial support anyway. Clearly, if a corps expects the support of its community, it needs to give back in ways more tangible than performing in the local Fourth of July parade: have a high profile within the community. Partnering with the local college is great, but why not run clinics for local HS students (filling a more desperate need in most cities.) Get local boosters to assist other community organizations as reps of the corps (volunteers at the community womens' shelter wearing their corps jackets?) Give (modest) dues breaks for otherwise qualified local members, etc.

I don't want to speak specifically to PR's situation because I really don't know it well. Maybe they're already doing these things. However, there are a lot of organizations seeking a finite number of community bucks. The groups who provide the best services will get the support. People laugh about "Sponsored by YEA". I think it's sad that they don't advertise their base. But at least they're honest; they're not supported by a community, neither corps has deep roots in a community anymore, so why pretend?

Edited by Phillygwm

If Phantom's cost of borrowing doubles, will it hurt the corps? Yes...............

Oh god I hope you're wrong. I love Phantom Regiment way to much for this.

I'm gonna throw something out there for those drum corps history trivia buffs.

Communities did used to support their drum corps and as a matter of fact how do you think most drum corps began?

And to continue in that realm of thinking, when and why did it stop?

Edited by Lancerlady

The question comes down to resources. If a town has $x to give toward community organizations, should a town choose to support a drum corps or, say, a minor league baseball team? Yes, the corps is a non-profit supporting "youth" but, then again, most people's idea of supporting youth does not include subsidizing out-of-state college students.

True, the only reason I've ever heard of Rockford, IL (or Rosemont, or Concord, CA, or Fort Mill, SC) is because of the corps based there. But, ultimately, what value do those communities derive from that? I'm certainly not planning to vacation in any of those places.

I'm not advocating that any corps should recruit only within x miles of their base. Frankly, I don't think that alone should warrant a community's financial support anyway. Clearly, if a corps expects the support of its community, it needs to give back in ways more tangible than performing in the local Fourth of July parade: have a high profile within the community. Partnering with the local college is great, but why not run clinics for local HS students (filling a more desperate need in most cities.) Get local boosters to assist other community organizations as reps of the corps (volunteers at the community womens' shelter wearing their corps jackets?) Give (modest) dues breaks for otherwise qualified local members, etc.

I don't want to speak specifically to PR's situation because I really don't know it well. Maybe they're already doing these things. However, there are a lot of organizations seeking a finite number of community bucks. The groups who provide the best services will get the support. People laugh about "Sponsored by YEA". I think it's sad that they don't advertise their base. But at least they're honest; they're not supported by a community, neither corps has deep roots in a community anymore, so why pretend?

The corps do give back to their communities. Drum corps have been doing these things for years. I wonder if you realize just how much the communities supported their drum corps, before whatever has happened to make them pull back from that has happened?

If you go to finals this year, you will find out first hand by how Madison reacts to its drum corps.

Edited by Lancerlady

I agree with most of your post, but I HAVE spent 2 weeks of my vacation time

the past couple of years in Whitewater, Wisc. And it wasn't just for the Butter Burgers!

I'm gonna throw something out there for those drum corps history trivia buffs.

Communities did used to support their drum corps and as a matter of fact how do you think most drum corps began?

And to continue in that realm of thinking, when and why did it stop?

Unfortunately, the world in which junior drum corps existed as a community organization has ceased to exist. A truly "global community" has led people to pursuits outside of their immediate area, as well as many other activities usurping the role that drum corps used to fill. High school marching band has replaced it for potential members of that age; the increasing costs of college along with many opportunities in the summer for work, internships, studying abroad and more that didn't exist before take away many college-age potential students. All-age corps is beginning to come back into that role, mainly because they're starting to sell themselves on the same level as many of the other activities that take up the time of many adults that might join. For example, Frontier is able to sell itself as an organization for Texas and DFW folks, but we also have to convince them that we're a better use of their free time than, say, league softball or just sitting around at home watching TV. In short, people are just busy as heck and it's hard to convince people to pour their limited time into anything that requires as much time, effort and energy as drum corps does. Junior corps has "solved" that problem in a sense by setting themselves up as the "major leagues" of marching band in a sense, so that kids that start out in high school marching band will want to move up to junior corps. I can't speak for all of all-age, but Frontier is dealing with that challenge by offering not only the drum corps experience to those that want it affordable in both time and money, but many other opportunities to perform (mini-corps, winter guard, chamber music ensembles, and some other groups that are in the works) so that those who might not have time for one group can find time for another. The world has changed from the days where every town had its own drum corps, and drum corps has had to change along with it.