Loudest mello's ever

LOL! This is great. Loudest mellos has to be back when corps only marched 4, not 14. and they still cut through the hornline....

Seems to me, if my memory holds, that loudest mellos has to be 75 Muchachos.....they only had 3.....

Go listen...tell me they weren't loud. Sounds like they stood under the mic's the whole show.

'82 -'84 Freelancers...only 4

While the mellophone lines of today can put out some volume, I must admit that I am more impressed by many of the mellophone lines from the 80s. Most of the lines in the 80's didn't have 14 to 16 players - more like 4 to 8. Many od the Madison, BD and SCV lines could put out some serious volumen with only a few players.

I'll admit this is a very biased pick (as I marched in this section), but check out 86 Sky Ryders. We had 8 mellophones that could drown out the other 52 members of the horn line - and with a good sound to boot.

I specifically remember a camp in '83 where the entire sop line (20 of them) got screamed at because they just got buried by 4 Mellophones. Not nearly as impressed by today's lines, Mellophones are meant to be icing on the cake. Marching 16+ of them is like eating a whole can of Betty Crocker's frosting.

Lots of great sections mentions. Many thanks to the folks who nominated three of my lines (87 SCV, 03 and 04 Renegades). Muchachoes 75 is a good choice.

But I'd have to go with SCV or Madison. They both marched only 4 mellos in full sized hornlines. I think I would go with 84 SCV or BD or possibly Madison 1980.

There weren't any mellophones in Blue Devils line in 1984. Perhaps you are referring to the amazingly talented French Horns of that year. :grouphug: We marched 6 and I was one of them.

They did have them in 1986 for "Channel One Suite". I think the middle horns were a mix of flugels, French horns, and mellos that year or maybe the flugels carried the mellos on hooks. I'm not sure.

Agreed, wholeheartedly. Mildly out of tune, but RIDICULOUSLY loud to end that park and blow. That was the loudest brass moment of the year, and I love the balance they had at that moment, as well as the drill/music leading into it.

Well they were in the extreme register of their instrument and all of them were playing it.

I was at the show in Enid, OK that year and the person I went with and I sat on the bench directly in front of thenmfor their encore. That mello moment was one fo the loudest moments I've ever experienced from a hornline. (The others would be hornline encores from BD, in 97 and 04)

Edited by profhill

There weren't any mellophones in Blue Devils line in 1984. Perhaps you are referring to the amazingly talented French Horns of that year. rolleyes.gif We marched 6 and I was one of them.

I know you simply forgot just how loud the flugles were in 84, right Sam b**bs

By the way, we did use mellophones in the off season of 84. The lead flugles were on mellophone up until about May I think . Something about not being able to hear the rest of the alto line over mellophones ^0^

So...to quiet us down, we played flugles. Sops were happy too. We drowned those guys out as well.

I wish I had the tape, but I recall Sandra Opey judging either ensemble brass or GE brass at DATR in 1983. During the first "push" in One More Time where the altos are behind the rest of the horn line and Sandra is just going ape-#$#$ over the fact she can "....hear the alto line over all this volume".

The alto line definitely put out some volume in 83 and especially 84! That 84 alto line was something else.

Edited by bd5times