Mean judges

DCA tape, 1990:

"snares well done, tenors well done, basses well done, pit well done, cymbals, you get worse every time i see you. worry about your timing musically, not visually, and you'll realize you aren't in the guard, you're in the drumline."

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now this isn't said by a judge but u can tell he hates small bands(we have a small band) and he gives bigger bands better scores. we get this same judge who lowers our score cause we are a small band

I remember a show in 1993, (Huntington, WV, to be exact) where I had a bit of a brain fart and came in during a rest. We got to listen to the field brass tape. When we got to that part, the judge said something to the effect of "WOW....What a great baritone attack!!" and then in a less kind tone of voice, "too bad it was a bar early..." :sshh:

2003 RCR people know this one:

"I like butterflys!"

Not mean, moreso amusing.

My sophomore year's high school band show was Miss Saigon. Pre 9/11, we were to have props of burning buildings at the end of the show. Post-9/11 it was decided that this would not be a good idea, so the band spelled out USA on the field and played a bar of "God Bless America".

Allegedly, one of the judge's tapes from the season at this point has a judge asking:

USA? What's USA?

We've also had percussion judges that seem to pay more attention to the visual program than the percussion. During one of our pit features "wow, look at those pretty flags. Thats a beautiful shade of pink."

We've also had percussion judges that seem to pay more attention to the visual program than the percussion. During one of our pit features "wow, look at those pretty flags. Thats a beautiful shade of pink."

ugh there was a music ensemble judge at a WBA show for one of the bands i teach that was like that. ugh. spent half the tape on guard. on an ENSEMBE MUSIC tape.

Just had an email from a mate of mine who reminded me the year we once tried to play "dont rain on my parade", the judge actually said " Oh look they are playing 'Dont rain on my parade' " he then said 8 minutes later " I wish it would rain on their parade so i dont have to listen to this anymore" :( that has to go down as the worst thing ever said.

Years ago during the tick system, I remember hearing my friend who was a mello saying she saw a judge go behind her. She hoped he moved out of the way before she did a quick turn to the back.....nope....she hit him! Then he came up to her in her face, stroke the piece of paper and said loudly, "TICK!" ^0^

I truly thought that was wrong on his part! I mean geez, he was in the way! :sshh:

What about guys eating while corps are performing?

Donny

Not bad at all, but funny.

We did exhibition of our program "The Wild Party" (an off-broadway hit by Andrew Lippa) at the 2003 JSU show. One of the judges with a strong Tennessee accent said on the tape during one of the more particularly suggestive dance sections for the guard: "Wooooeee! You gotta have a note from your momma to watch this!"

Goes down as the funniest thing I've heard from a judge.

Most embarrasing: The judge on the 2002 DCI DVD for the Cavaliers. That boy was just not right.