Figure Skating: Pro or Con?

First, how do you regard figure skating and are you as distracted as I am by big jumps that don't seem to hit the beat (or the swell or whatever the obvious musical cue)?

Second, is there something you see in figure skating's success that could apply to drum corps? Is there something that figure skating does well that drum corps should be doing too?

In response to first question: I am distracted by the big jumps cause it is the only thing interesting to me. The rest of it is watered down dance, and after seeing some amazing dancers in winterguards and other places, it just doesn't make me say "wow" like it did when I was a kid.....You have think guard has so much going on at the same time visually with the equipment and body, that its not going to be too interesting (least to me)........Guard on ice skates however, sounds too cool.

Second: Since figure skating is an olympic sport it is enjoyed by the masses of europeans it has an audience edge. PLUS, it has fresh competitive rivals every few years since the careers of skaters are short on the olympic stage. It gets tiresome in drum corps when we have to guess which out of the 3 big corps will win........

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the explanation, but does that make sense to you? I mean, why can't the timing incorporate the music? It's recorded after all, which should means it's the same from day to day.

Wouldn't every performance improve if the timing of the skater and the music were coordinated?

No, because a jump entrance isn't set to a 120 tempo. When you're flying down the ice, you aren't subdividing the beats in your head. You're visualizing a perfect landing or making sure your body is aligned properly for take off and rotation.

Learning jumps is a sequential thing. It's not like you learn a single, double and triple within a years time. A double axel can take anywhere from 2 to 5 years to be consistant with some people. After years of repetitive training to land the jump, you can't ask them to just up and change the timing because the music is faster or slower. The other thing that isn't discussed is the entrance. Three turns, rockers, mohawks whatever turn they might use into the entrance edge has it's own unique timing as well. Skaters make skating look easy. It's not as easy as everyone thinks.

John

I didn't think it was easy. But you've told me something I didn't know: the major jumps generally aren't customized at all; skaters follow a pattern that doesn't attempt to take account of the music (at least for certain moves). That alone, I suppose, makes it more sport than art.

Still, the musically obsessed among us have to wonder why program something to music if you don't actually program it to the music. On the positive side: Figure skating is so much better at program-music coordination than gymnastic floor exercises.

HH

Figure skating, those that are in it, those that run it, those that support it, those that enjoy it, never lose sight of the fact that the bottom line, it is a competition.you are there to compete, your main objective is to compete, be your best and WIN. Sure, there are other aspects, but the fact is, it is a competition.

Drum corps, those that are in it, those that run it, those that support it, and those that currently enjoy it (disclaimer) for the most part want to forget, or lessen the aspect of a competition, do away with the rewards for skill, precision, and who does what better and make it a feel good past-time. Change the paramaters lose your identity, audience leaves in droves......

Dont underestimate the power of the competition.......

~G~

You have a point there, from a certain point of view. But if you look at it another way, the popularity of figure skating has absolutely nothing to do with competition. By far the majority of figure skating you see on TV is not a competition. They are just shows for entertainment. The fact is, figure skating (as an art and a sport) appeals to a far greater number of people than Drum Corps.

The problem with drum corps is that it is in kind of in between what appeals to different kinds of people. The music is too watered down/not complex enough, the execution is not perfect enough and the individual expression is not high enough to appeal to the average artistic person. I am talking about the kind of people who like modern dance, orchestras, and operas. On the other hand, drum corps does not have enough "pop culture" appeal to appeal to the mainstream normal person. I think a lot of this has to do with its association with marching band and the "band geek" whole deal. It is simply not cool by many people's standards to enjoy marching arts, even though they may really did what they are seeing.

I think the best way to get more drum corps fans is to find a way to get young children exposed to live drum corps. Kids don't have many pop-culture attachments and can really react to the emotional appeal of our activity.

Uhhh....since the modern Olympic movement started in 1896 (Summer games....the winters came along a few years later), I think you mean 1960....but they've been in the games longer than that....Sonja Hennie (sp?) comes to mind.

First Winter Olympic Figure Skating Champions

1908 London, Great Britain

Ulrich Salchow, Sweden (Men)

Madge Syers, Great Britain (Ladies)

Anna Hubler & Heinrich Burger, Germany (Pairs)

1976 Innsbruck, Austria (first year for Ice Dance)

1896 was the first year for the World Figure Skating Championships, which saw men and women compete together. Ladies got their own category in 1906, pairs in 1908 and Ice Dance in 1952,

From "The Story of Figure Skating" by Michael Boo and published by William Morrow, 1998.

This where Cavis gets their inspiration for their guard costumes.

I've said it before........... You can line up just about every one of Cavies Guard costumes and put them on any Russian ICE skater!

Right?

Edited by Cop

You have a point there, from a certain point of view. But if you look at it another way, the popularity of figure skating has absolutely nothing to do with competition. By far the majority of figure skating you see on TV is not a competition. They are just shows for entertainment. The fact is, figure skating (as an art and a sport) appeals to a far greater number of people than Drum Corps.

I understand what you mean with all the tour of champion type shows they have that are not competitions. But for me personally those shows are a lot of fluff and not nearly as enjoyable as the competitions. They do a lot more basic skating while emoting with their arms and less jumps. I've been disapointed in those shows.

For me, the competitions, when the skaters are doing their most difficult routines and are at their best, are what it's about.

The same can be said for drum corps. How many times do the folks from the west coast complain that they never get to see the corps at the end of the season when they're at their peek? When having to make choices most of us go to end of the season shows (if possible) and div. I competitions.

People like to see groups at their best; and they like to see who can overtake another corps (Bluecoats and Madison, Bluecoats coming close to BD). It is a real part of the activity for many of us.

Edited by shawn craig

Figure skating, those that are in it, those that run it, those that support it, those that enjoy it, never lose sight of the fact that the bottom line, it is a competition.you are there to compete, your main objective is to compete, be your best and WIN. Sure, there are other aspects, but the fact is, it is a competition.

Drum corps, those that are in it, those that run it, those that support it, and those that currently enjoy it (disclaimer) for the most part want to forget, or lessen the aspect of a competition, do away with the rewards for skill, precision, and who does what better and make it a feel good past-time. Change the paramaters lose your identity, audience leaves in droves......

Dont underestimate the power of the competition.......

~G~

:rolleyes::laugh::laugh:

Uhhh....since the modern Olympic movement started in 1896 (Summer games....the winters came along a few years later), I think you mean 1960....but they've been in the games longer than that....Sonja Hennie (sp?) comes to mind.

I think we got the definitive answer just above me....but I DO admit I'd like to see a bit more emphasis on some artistic interpretation instead of seering an entire field of people fall on their ### because they HAVE to land that quad if they're to have a prayer of winning...

Figure skating has been around since before 1960.