Ageout Rule

Emily Tannert had the following article on DCI.org: http://www.dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=f...5c-78f699526df7

Just curious, when was this new rule adopted? When I marched, I believe the rule was that as long as you were NOT 22 on or before the day of finals, you could march. (Sorry if I got that wrong) This kinda sucks because if this newer rule was in effect when I marched, I could have marched for another year (my birthday is in July). Just a little bitter, sorry. I used to be envious of those who, at that time, COULD march an "extra" year because of the date their birthday fell. I aged out with a guy who was a year older than me but he could march because his birthday was in early September. I realize that there is probably still those who get "screwed" out of an "extra" year so you can't please everyone, and there has to be some sort of cutoff date. I actually think that the old rule was better (even though I got screwed out of my extra year).

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you Scott...I could have marched (or conducted as the case would have been) one more year had the new rule been in place in 1986. Spirit had one of its greatest shows and finished one of its best years ever, but I had to watch it from the sidelines. Bummer. Mind you, I did enjoy aging out in 1985, but 86 was a show that was so much more "spirit" in concept and design.

There's been more questions asked and more confusion about this new rule since it started. I don't know why the old rule wasn't good enough...it was simple...you could NOT turn 22 during the season...period. That was pretty black and white.

in 1984 the year we came back from folding our lead snare couldn't march because he turned 22 on the night of finals. However, since we we a young corps who had never made the top 25 and who had just folded the previous season there was no way we would be making finals and our season actually ended 2 days before finals but our lead snare ended up having to be on staff since DCI would not allow him to march that season even though he would not turn 22 until 2 days after our season ended.

now that sucks.