What makes an enjoyable show?

I apologize in advance if this was already a topic, but I searched and couldn't find anything.

The reasons I go to a drum corps show is to see a kickin' drumline (first and foremost), some hard and fast drill (preferable executed well), and a hornline that blows me back in my seat. I don't really care if I don't "understand" the show or if they are playing music I don't particularly like (I hate jazz in real life, but give me Bluecoats or BD, ect. playing it, and I'm there). And honestly, I really only like to see the Division I corps, and especially "the big boys". Please don't condemn me for not really wanting to watch the Division II & III corps, that's just my preference (but go ahead and let loose, if you must). Not that there's anything wrong with them, I'd just rather sit and watch the higher caliber corps that I KNOW are going to just blow me away (I'm digging myself a hole, aren't I?).

I think some of us current and former members of corps sometimes get all caught up in our analyzation of the shows that we are unable to enjoy them for what they are... 11-1/2 minutes of pure entertainment. It's interesting how different people react to the same thing. You see non drum corps people in the stands completly freaking out over something during a show that we drum corps people might see as not that big of a deal. On the flip side to that, while watching the 2005 Classic Countdown on DVD, I saw for the first time the 2000 Cadets tenor solo. All I could say was "UN-BE-LIEVE-A-BLE". I showed it to my wife, who never marched corps but was in H.S. band, and she was like "That doesn't look that hard". Yeah, they made it look easy, but you have to look past that and consider the difficulty of what they were playing and the cleanliness of it as well.

Just my thoughts.

I want to see a technically excellent guard...not the "emoting" and ballet-centered guard that is fielded nowadays.

I don't want to see drill that evolves at 160 bpm and corps members running constantly. I want to see the drill evolve in a logical manner with the music.

I want to see shows without "themes" and liner notes.

Guess that's why I haven't been to a drum corps show in a few years...

Edited by SBrancheau

I want to see a technically excellent guard...not the "emoting" and ballet-centered guard that is fielded nowadays.

I don't want to see drill that evolves at 160 bpm and corps members running constantly. I want to see the drill evolve in a logical manner with the music.

I guess unless you are a Timelord your out of luck.. :(

Oh well..life goes on. :worthy:

PS-I want to be entertained. If it pisses of the dinasours..then so be it!

I love the intellectual and sophisticated shows that have prevailed in recent years. So much thought goes into these productions, with little subtleties all over the place. I like how everytime you watch a show, you pick up another subtlety that you hadn't noticed before. One more thing that adds to the overall theme of the show.

Oh yes, because NO guards today are technically great and drills NEVER evolve in a logical manner anymore! Yeah, they just kind of go out onto the field, run around for a bit at random, and call it a day.

I mean, as long as we're throwing potshots around...

:tic:

As for me, I go for several reasons:

I love the competition

I love me a good hornline

I love me a good drum lick

I LOVE some good drill action

Plus the atmosphere is different than what you find at other "sporting" events. Love it.

Edited by geluf

Oh yes, because NO guards today are technically great and drills NEVER evolve in a logical manner anymore! Yeah, they just kind of go out onto the field, run around for a bit at random, and call it a day.

Oh, and don't forget, we hand out librettos to fit with the theme, as well as make sure that people understand the show. OH WAIT. That was Phantom Regiment, in 1981. But you know what? You probably loved that show, because you were around 18 that summer, and were still able to enjoy yourself when kids spent months perfecting a show intended on being entertaining. Why are you even in the junior forums anyway? What practicality is there? Enjoy the DCA/Historical DCI/Bored forums. Leave us to talk about our stupid, elitist, pretentious, "modern" drum corps, what with our themes and actual general DIRECTION and COHERENTNESS in shows, in peace. Thank you. <**>

As I march more and more, the level of performance makes a bigger and bigger difference in my enjoyment of a show. If there are cool horn parts going on during an intense part of the show, but the drumline is falling apart repeatedly in the PERCUSSION FEATURE (Seattle '05), I can't enjoy that segment of the show without cringing. I guess this is unfortunate in some ways, but I still enjoy much more shows than I dislike.

I don't really know the answer to this question, but I'll think about it. I'm sure intensity comes into the picture somewhere, and most corps have it.

w/Stp:

What makes a show enjoyable to me is pretty simple, I guess. Good drill, and good music. Great, powerful brasslines and intense percussion sounds. I think that's what attracts anyone to drum corps. Of course I could be wrong. I especially like it when people take chances and do something different. Especially knowing the fact that the performers love what they're doing so much.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

What makes an enjoyable show?

SCV 2003: 8:15 to about 8:45 on the CD.

The entire Madison Scouts 1995 performance. Ditto for Phantom 2003.

Crossmen mid 90's drum breaks.

Any time I can bob my head as a horn player to a drumline.

Any time I can pee my pants to a loud brass line, or some wicked crazy double tounging/crazy wack runs.

Chords that melt me "like buttah", or make the hair on your arms stand up.

Fast drill.

Hard drill.

Intense looks from the kids on the field.

Kids crying.

Kids who do it to make me scream and throw babies.

...these are a few of my favorite things. ($1 to 1988 Sky Ryders)