SCV's "Phantom of the Opera"

The Vanguard spent a year last year looking back, and like their '92 show, it only showed that the past is best left in the past. The Cavaliers "Planets" show from '95 is one of the few examples of a corps doing an 'anniversary' show and improving on the original.

Don't buck the odds, and move on.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the quality of sould would be so different becasue of today's different standards of sound from back then..what do you think?

I'm inclined to disagree. SCV's hornline in 89 was much better than the lines they've been fielding the past few years (IMO). That show can't be matched. Haven't we already learned our lesson from every other corps who does "throwback" stuff. If you want to relive it so much, watch the DVD.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

...definately not

Remakes are usually doomed from the start. The only exceptions I see at the moment are 89 SCV and 95 Cavaliers, but there are lots of times when corps have brought back old songs/shows and haven't lived up to them because they aren't as good as they used to be, or the arrangement isn't as good as it used to be.

Plus, I prefer to leave the past in the past. Doing a remake of this show would be like doing "The Zone" again

...wait

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

Plus, I prefer to leave the past in the past. Doing a remake of this show would be like doing "The Zone" again

...wait

I don't see the connection. I know you're trying to make an ironic allusion, but it doesn't really fit at all.

that's why I said "wait"

jeez...I'm just gonna stop now...

I thought the "wait" was the reference to the "ironic" part of your post, heh.

I thought the "wait" was the reference to the "ironic" part of your post, heh.

No, I said wait because I'm actually looking forward next year's installment. Much more than 05, because I didn't really like it at all(& I assumed the majority of people here didn't either). But you didn't know that...so that mislead it...ugh...i feel dumber explaining this crap

We're getting waay off topic...just ignore everything I say from now on...(I've already hijacked 2 threads...I'll stop now)

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

Remakes are usually doomed from the start. The only exceptions I see at the moment are 89 SCV and 95 Cavaliers.

Add BD 1986 and Madison 1992 to that exception list.

No, I said wait because I'm actually looking forward next year's installment. Much more than 05, because I didn't really like it at all(& I assumed the majority of people here didn't either).

Well, you know what you do when you assume...

I remember reading in an earlier post where you said you wanted to people to speak up so that you knew what not to say. Well, perhaps my biggest peeve on these boards is when one person attempts to project their own tastes and opinions onto the rest of the audience. In this case, I've heard from as many people that loved Cadets '05 as didn't; I happen to be one of them.

Add BD 1986 and Madison 1992 to that exception list.

I suppose Spartacus, the 94 WSS, the Magical Mystery Tours(even though it was only the theme that was reused) could be added to that, even though neither of them actually moved up a place. Spartacus scored higher(or in the same range as it did before), and West Side Story was still one of the highest ranked shows. The last two MMTours seem to be the more popular ones, even though they placed lower.

Even though I'm starting to regret saying "All remakes are doomed from the start", I still don't think Phantom of the Opera is worth a remake at this time(unless SCV's status grows a little more by 07 i guess)

Maedhros: I've really gotta stop typing what I think. I'm 0 for umteen in the past few hours alone.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando