SCV's "Phantom of the Opera"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a guard person......when I hear 'Phantom of the Opera' as a show, I think of colorguards circa 89-92.....big hair, big puffy sleeves, and shiny metalic lam'e everything!

I would like to see someone do it this soon and why not SCV?

I mean seriously though how awesome would it be if they brought it back and played it in 07'? the quality of sould would be so different becasue of today's different standards of sound from back then..what do you think?

Not cool...

How many times has it been done? Its an overrated show.

Not cool...

How many times has it been done? Its an overrated show.

Corpsreps tells me this many:

Junior Corps:

SCV 1988

Masquerade 1989

SCV 1989

Bracken Cavaliers 1999

Long Island Sounds 1999

Spectrum 2000

Les Stentors 2002

Senior/Alumni Corps:

Rochester Crusaders 1989

Empire Statesmen 2000

International Corps:

Blue Eagles 1995

Senators 1999

Evolutionkorps 2001

Black Knight Cadets 2002

Distant Thunder 2004

Personally, that doesn't strike me as overrated and overplayed. I really enjoy SCV 89, personally... hold up my horn to that show. I think it'd be pretty awesome if it was done by a top-tier group again. As long as it was made competitively, well performed, I'd enjoy seeing it. Only if it could top the magic of the 88/89 shows.

Edited by Biff Hornmello

I mean seriously though how awesome would it be if they brought it back and played it in 07'? the quality of sould would be so different becasue of today's different standards of sound from back then..what do you think?

After the year Vangaurd had competitively last season, doing a 'throw-back' type show, I don't think there is any way they should redo Phantom of the Opera. I _LOVE_ their 88 and 89 shows, and I think those shows were perfectly designed. But to revisit that show, they would have to do a serious reimagining to make it competitive for 2006. I'd rather see them go in a new direction, and then put in the VHS or DVD of 99 or 89 whenever I'm in the mood to revisit Phantom of the Opera.

--

doug

After the year Vangaurd had competitively last season, doing a 'throw-back' type show, I don't think there is any way they should redo Phantom of the Opera. I _LOVE_ their 88 and 89 shows, and I think those shows were perfectly designed. But to revisit that show, they would have to do a serious reimagining to make it competitive for 2006. I'd rather see them go in a new direction, and then put in the VHS or DVD of 99 or 89 whenever I'm in the mood to revisit Phantom of the Opera.

--

doug

Exactly my thoughts. Remember Rocky Point Holiday in 2003, Russian Christmas Music in 2005, The Firebird in 1997? They seriously failed to live up to their predecessors.

Edited by Hrothgar15

With all the great music out there yet to be touched by any corps, why the fascination with having SCV perform a show that's already been used? Especially one that was performed tremendously in two seperate years. I have no problem with acknowledging the excellence of the '88 and '89 shows. But rather than creating pale shadows of excellence from the past, I would far prefer that we attempt to create new shows that are just as excellent on their own and in their own time.

Edited by Maedhros

Um.........................No.

Let SCV move on...............there's always the 88/89 DVDs.

Edited by ContraRich77

I love Phantom of the Opera. 1989 was the first show I ever heard or watched (not live).

I have a feeling that no matter how well any corps performs it that it will never match up to the magic or sheer emotion of the version that made me fall in love with drum corps.

I'm sure many groups could do it well. But they'll never do it like SCV 89 (in my mind). I think it's best to leave the classic shows alone; no matter how good they could be, they'll never be what they were.

Edited by megan_marie15