Great practical jokes

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kinda sucked having a window that did not close easily..

or waking up on the bus and everyone is GONE...at least it was easy to find my sleeping bag(it was all by itself in the lot.)

Yeah Kevin, you were an easy target with that window of yours. I think I managed to douse you and Dave multiple times in 87.

From my friends on BD Staff in the early 80s...

It was customary for the staff to jump in the shower at the last minute before leaving to go to a show. The second to last guy in would take all the clothes of the last guy in the shower (except for sunglasses and flip-flops) and run them up the flag pole of the school.

Then leave and wait for screams.

In 91 Sky Ryders, before we went on tour and were having all day (late running) rehearsals, our DM played a joke on one of the rookies. He was the first to fall asleep, before lights out. Our DM told everyone to get in their bags and then cut the lights. Out came the cowbell and the usual morning wake up call. Said rookie got out of his bag (he'd been asleep only of 5-10 minutes), grabbed his travel bag & towel and headed off to the showers. Classic.

BLUE KNIGHTS 99

There was already a tradition in the hornline to "pants" anyone a member of the hornline at the end of rehearsal if it was their birthday....I think that was the master mind of the lead baritone section....

On caption head Jason Buckinghams b-day, during our warm up, he gave us the motion to play a major chord of some sort and we had all conspired to play the"pick a note"....

a confused Buckingham made the symbol again and thats when we all put our horns down, and pansed the sucker./

That was really funny! Some of us didn't know the song, so it was something special. It was for Dennis Laorenza's birthday. It was during a rep though. He wasn't expecting it at all and he later said that was one of the most touching moments he's had on tour.

It was a brilliant joke...we decided to rep that section (called letter 'L') a few times like normal, and then when our DM, Matt Hensley, announced the section "L is for Lorenza" we all knew it was go-time...Dennis never saw it coming. I think one of the drum techs was about to kill someone before he realized what we were doing, and Frank looked like he was about to jump down from the press box and kill us all :)

Apparently Star of Indiana director, Jim Mason, and I had some sort of run in with a water pistol at some point during the summer of 1985. I think I killed some of those brain cells along the way, but I vaguely remember him chasing me down in a gym somewhere, getting the water gun from me and soaking me with it. My friends seem to recall it better than I.

I am sure many of you know this by now, but the company front that we did in the Madison 97 show with the 33 second chord was actually a practical joke that Bob Guinn played on us in our final run throuhg, which turned out to be a practical joke based on the Scouts 1980 finals performance in which the drum major held up the Championship flag from 1975.

AHHHH!!!!! 1980 - THAT was the year! He turned around and took pictures of the crowd also. I saw that on PBS as a kid and in recent years, could never remember what year it was. Thanks! B) Quite the showman he was.

Man, the mind works in mysterious ways..........

1977, United States Naval Academy, I was Drum Corps Commander for the first set and for June Week, and we had an offsite, somewhere nearby, and I recall that I was accosted by the Corps members and they threw me into some pond on the site.

I was touched..............

b**bs

AHHHH!!!!! 1980 - THAT was the year! He turned around and took pictures of the crowd also. I saw that on PBS as a kid and in recent years, could never remember what year it was. Thanks! B) Quite the showman he was.

Not quite--the turning around and taking pictures was 1997.