retreat?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mixed arcs with other corps was definitely a good way to get to know other people since we didn't have the same time in the lot as we used to. Corps like SCV, BD, Cap Reg, and Crossmen were a blast to stand next to this summer.

Anyone know how to insert a picture into a post? I have pics of the Glassmen and Bluecoats trying to figure out how to mix their arcs at the first show, it's pretty funny.

It was a real downer. Retreat is a pain, but it was fun to kind of show your stuff amongst all the other competitors. We'd cut up with the corps next to us (you'd never be able to tell from the stands) and complain about the inane announcers at the small town shows. I liked walking around the stands in my uniform after we were done, and I loved getting to know the other shows intimately. I really liked the fact that I had half of DI's shows memorized.

With retreat gone, all there was time to do was change, eat, and sit around the busses and wait for word on our scores. Which was pretty boring. We couldn't even practice. I think it saved maybe 30 minutes, tops.... and that's not extra practice time in most cases. It's more sleep time. I'd rather have a good time and sleep in my bed August. And what good is an extra half hour-45 minutes?

I will say that being mixed in with another corps was a good time, though. I'm sure it looked ridiculous and unorganized (not everyone brings horns up and down the same, etc...) but I really got a feel for a lot of different corps. The stereotypes are all so true about a few corps we were with, and it was nice to talk with someone from a different corps before and during the "retreat".

So it's not so bad. I missed it, but DCI probably isn't going to change back, so I guess it's just something everyone has to get used to.

personally, I was DM of a really little Ontario corps.. and when we did our combined arc.. we had a chance to do it with Spartans, and then it was cancelled (due to lightning).. and then we did it in Quebec with Les Stentors.. The hornline loved it! I think the idea of combining two hornlines is cool, and I liked watching and listening to it.. but that's just me..

I miss it the old way because, well, what better way to see what a Corps (and I mean ALL the members of ALL the Corps) are really made of than during a retreat. What better way to judge the true essence of what a Corps is all about than to watch them during retreat and monitor their reaction to their placement. Did they take a defeat bitterly or with dignity? Did they take a win with assured confidence and pride or did they behave like their feet don't stink so here's to the rest of you losers . Heck, did they even CARE? The reactions are endless and are a treat to watch. What about that first time you finally beat the Corps that you've been trying to beat for years? There's something so special about that moment when they finally leave the field BEFORE you that can't be compared to hearing about it on the bus, you know? This new retreat formula follows the path that this venue of "Entertainment" has taken. It's really not about the "Competition" anymore. This day and age, hey, everyone's a winner!..."It's the sign of the times" (Thanks Petula)...sigh.

Disclaimer: This opinion in no way reflect on the kids who came the following decades after this ol' fogey stopped competing. They have my endless respect for the hard work and product they give to us year after year. Evolution is unstoppable.

I enjoyed the new system a lot more than the retreats.

It allowed us to take our uniforms off, and either put our horns away or (more often) practice some more.

When the shows were over, the DM's hopped right on the bus and we were out.

You didn't have to waste time putting stuff away, then eating, then leaving.

As for watching other people's shows...

I march to make my show as good as it can be. Not to watch everyone else. That's what the DVD is for.

This being said, bring them back for regionals. Those were good experiences.

Anyone know how to insert a picture into a post? I have pics of the Glassmen and Bluecoats trying to figure out how to mix their arcs at the first show, it's pretty funny.

I would die to see this one! lol We had a great time standing next to Glassmen this year. Very cool people. Figuring out retreat for the first time was definitely rocket science. Having the Glassmen's guard nearby beforehand didn't exactly help us contras in the front. B)