retreat?

so, it was a whole season and a new one is almost here. was there ever a discussion about the new "retreat"? what do you think? is it a good thing? should it go back how it was? did it benifit the corps and people DCI thought that it was going to? i marched and we stayed till the end almost every time. there were only like 2 times the drum majors and gaurd girls stayed and the corps went back to the houseing site. just wondering if the plan worked.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We too stayed until the end of the show. Our drum majors did just get ont he bus and we pulled out, so maybe it did save a bit of time, but it didn't really seem like much to me.

No.

Rather than being able to load the truck right away and get things done and over with, we'd have to wait until after retreat to finish loading the majority of our equipment, especially if the hornline was doing AOC or people were out and about practicing (which happened a lot). After marching in '04 when retreats were in full swing and in '05 when they weren't, I didn't notice much of a difference.

Maybe things were different for other corps with different equipment trucks, but OC's was not the most suitable for being able to load the pit equipment with horns and uniforms still not on.

Edited by Carl306

As for a D2 I worked with this past summer, ALWAYS stayed till the end for scores and DMs. After the Corps performed, they would put horns away, change and eat, watch the big boys and head to the busses post scores. I don't know that it saved time....seems like to me you miss out on the pagantry of drum corps when you axe out all the retreats. Would be nice to see them at Regionals, if not most shows.

It definitely gave us another hour or two of sleep on the floor most nights, which was nice. I'd love to see full retreats back at regionals though.

Mixed arcs with other corps was definitely a good way to get to know other people since we didn't have the same time in the lot as we used to. Corps like SCV, BD, Cap Reg, and Crossmen were a blast to stand next to this summer.

Edited by BlooooContra

I, too, thought it was cool to do the mixed arc thing sometimes. But I kind of missed the retreat blocks... :(

Another rule I didn't really like was the "no practicing after the last corps leaves the warm-up site" rule. Why? Because first of all, I like practicing during that time...and second of all...it didn't seem like some of the other corps were really following that rule anyway. <**>

I, too, thought it was cool to do the mixed arc thing sometimes. But I kind of missed the retreat blocks... :(

Another rule I didn't really like was the "no practicing after the last corps leaves the warm-up site" rule. Why? Because first of all, I like practicing during that time...and second of all...it didn't seem like some of the other corps were really following that rule anyway. <**>

Never heard of that one, nor did I really see it enforced. ????

Hmmmm, never heard of that rule.

I too enjoyed the mixed arc although we only did it twice. Once with citations and then once with yamato and capital sound. But they were fun.

The new retreat didn't make a difference for us at all. Because even though we were out of uniform and packed up already, we were all at the shows watching and/or listening to the scores. So by the time we got b ack, it was basically the same time. We usually ate then as well for a snack before we got on the road again. So yeah, I miss retreat. I think the thing I miss most is opening ceremonies though. Granted it's been gone for a while now, but there's nothing like playing America/O' Canada and hearing the tiny corps all the way on the other side of the stadium and every other corps in between playing it and sounding massive. :)