Memories of U. S. Open

I remember it rained, especially during finals...was that 72 or 72 and 73? Hmmmm.

Don't play your concert number because you'll be over time...there was a time limit for prelims.

Big Boy restaraunt

Breakfast at Marion Cadet Hall.

swimming in the HOT YMCA pool.

Sleeping in the 2nd floor of the fire hall.

Anyone else?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

US Open 1968:

Blue Rock's BIG upset at Finals, winning their very first National Championship.

Elphaba

1970 US Open finals (RobH may remember this):

Kilties had been (unsuccessfully) pursuing Madison all year after winning just about everything in '69 (including US Open). We came into Marion thinking we had a good shot at them.

We were on last in finals as defending champs. I broke a tenor mallet cleanly in two coming off the line. The broken-off end went flying, drum judge (Bob Sims) picked it up, gave it back to me (for posterity???), and I stashed it. The only other mallets I had were puff mallets, so I air-drummed the rest of the show. No big worries----back then a dropped stick was one tenth.

Other than that, the performance went well and the crowed loved us. Afterwards, we were standing around waiting for the finale to start, and having a good laugh about my non-performance. Suddenly Sims (the drum judge!) showed up in our midst, sought me out personally, and told me he'd assessed me a four-tenths unit penalty (in addition to the dropped stick) for not playing the rest of the show. Needless to say, we stopped laughing then. It got worse when we ending up losing to Madison by a tenth or so...

1970 US Open finals (RobH may remember this):

Kilties had been (unsuccessfully) pursuing Madison all year after winning just about everything in '69 (including US Open). We came into Marion thinking we had a good shot at them.

We were on last in finals as defending champs. I broke a tenor mallet cleanly in two coming off the line. The broken-off end went flying, drum judge (Bob Sims) picked it up, gave it back to me (for posterity???), and I stashed it. The only other mallets I had were puff mallets, so I air-drummed the rest of the show. No big worries----back then a dropped stick was one tenth.

Other than that, the performance went well and the crowed loved us. Afterwards, we were standing around waiting for the finale to start, and having a good laugh about my non-performance. Suddenly Sims (the drum judge!) showed up in our midst, sought me out personally, and told me he'd assessed me a four-tenths unit penalty (in addition to the dropped stick) for not playing the rest of the show. Needless to say, we stopped laughing then. It got worse when we ending up losing to Madison by a tenth or so...

Madison scored a 79.00 and Kilties scored a 78.60 and Bluestars were .2 behind Kilts

I'm trying to remember if US Open was in Columbus in 1984, and if we got rained on. (We got rained on a lot that season.)

In 1987, I remember hearing a local radio station broadcasting the Class A results as we were unloading into our housing for the night. I always thought it was cool to hear local media take an interest in us as more than a freak show come to town.

I remember joining the Marion cadets in the late summer in 1976. The 29" tymp player was in an motorcycle accident and I took his place. The first show I marched was US Open prelims. At the beginning of the show, a flag did a move that hit the front of my shako and then bounced off my drum head. What an intro to drum corps. We ended up barely making finals.

Don

I remember joining the Marion cadets in the late summer in 1976. The 29" tymp player was in an motorcycle accident and I took his place. The first show I marched was US Open prelims. At the beginning of the show, a flag did a move that hit the front of my shako and then bounced off my drum head. What an intro to drum corps. We ended up barely making finals.

Don

You beat the Saints by 5 tenths of a point

You beat the Saints by 5 tenths of a point

OK- since yor memory is better than mine, what happened to us at VFW Nats? I know we were there but we did not make finals. Saints were 8th or 9th. We must have really stunk. Although, Muchachos beat Blue Stars and three days later they lost to them by 10 points at DCI prelims. East coast VFW scoring. Go figure.

Don

I remember it rained, especially during finals...was that 72 or 72 and 73? Hmmmm.

I remember one (I think 74) where it rained and we didn't wear feathers. I think it was prelims because Colt 45 was on the field as we were walking out AND it was daytime.

Some photographer (I think DCW) took a picture of me and my main squeeze hugging each other right before we went on. I used to have that picture, but can't find it anymore

I bought a great T-shirt at that show that I wore for YEARS before the same main squeeze turned it into a car washing rag :rock:

Edited by jojo

The first corps I marched with was a neighbourhood corps and Marion was the culmination of our tour. It was my first chance to see the big boys up close.

1974:

SCV in prelims was awesome. Maybe 2 percussion ticks in the entire show. My jaw dropped in Young Person's Guide.

The most emotional performance I ever witnessed though was Belleville Black Knights at the same prelims. The skies opened up during Impossible Dream, yet no-one left. I still get chills thinking of that.

1977:

The all-Canadian US Open. Cardinals of PB won Class A after finishing 21st, 14th and 7th in the three years previous, while Seneca Optimists won Open Class. Crossmen were 2nd and there was still a bunch of them ###### about the result when I marched with them four years later.