Memories of U. S. Open

OK- since yor memory is better than mine, what happened to us at VFW Nats? I know we were there but we did not make finals. Saints were 8th or 9th. We must have really stunk. Although, Muchachos beat Blue Stars and three days later they lost to them by 10 points at DCI prelims. East coast VFW scoring. Go figure.

Don

1976 VFW Prelims

Garfield Cadets (remember them?) 86.10

Cavaliers 83.95

Bridgemen 81.20

Muchachos 79.85

Blue Stars 76.50

Guardsmen 74.55

Saints 70.85

Boston Crusaders 70.80

Pembroke Imperials 68.40

Argonauts 67.05

LI Kingsmen 66.55

North Star 66.15

St. Ignatius 66.00

17th place...Marion Cadets 64.40

At finals Cavaliers won by 2 tenths and Saints took 8th, Boston crept up on them. What a difference a week makes. Marion Cadets score a 65.15 the week before and go down to the 64.40. Saints scored a 68 and go up to a 70.85.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember it rained, especially during finals...was that 72 or 72 and 73? Hmmmm.

Don't play your concert number because you'll be over time...there was a time limit for prelims.

Big Boy restaraunt

Breakfast at Marion Cadet Hall.

swimming in the HOT YMCA pool.

Sleeping in the 2nd floor of the fire hall.

Anyone else?

It NEVER rained on the U.S. Open!! LOL!!!

Epworth United Methodist Church(our home in Marion for years) and the ladies of the church cooking us (very, very appreciated) great home cooked meals.

The woods behind the stadium at Harding High(a story I won't go into)

All the corps hanging out together in the street outside the stadium

The LONGEST parade I've ever marched (too many times!!)

Anaheim overcoming a 13 point penalty in prelims(for being a day late) to come back and win in 73

The annual August monsoons actually became something of a tradition at Marion. 73 was the worst, with Open Class finals being postponed midway until the next day, Sunday. They started selling T-shirts with the Eagle logo, but it was holding an umbrella in its beak.

Marion was always the high point of the season in my early marching years. I've never been to another show where the entire town was so involved with a drum corps show. Every Church, school, business etc...opened thier doors to the corps and welcomed them with open arms. In it's heyday, the U.S. Open was one of the biggest, and most important competitions in the country....everybody was there!

Alot of my best and fondest memories from my marching days involve Marion OH. and the U.S. Open.

I made friendships with people from other corps that I first met in Marion that still last today.

74-75 U.S. Open was really my first exposure to the DCI level corps. My corps - Sharpsburg Cadets - got to see finals both years and were totally blown away by Madison, Freelancers, Squires, Seneca Optimists (probally spelled that wrong).

Going back the very next year (76) and winning it, was a trip. I was disappointed we didn't go back in '77. Took it again in '78 and SHOULD HAVE in '79.

I remember the YMCA pool and the Marion Cadet hall for breakfast as well. Good times!

Rocketman - Bring Back the U.S. Open

ampssuck

My most vivid memory of the US Open came in 1983 when, as I was standing on the starting line with my small, struggling hometown corps, I realized that the advise of my horn instructor (to blow my chops out in the online warm up) was a huge mistake!! He was trying to get me to push myself and develop my range, but instead i was shot before the show even started and as one of the stronger players in the line I really felf like I let the whole corps down that morning. Thankfully it was about 8:30 in the morning and I think there were three people in the stands watching us!

The eagle has landed.

It's wet and looking for shelter.

Marion, the first time I got to be at a big show after being in corps fours years already. 1974, Black Knights in the pouring rain at prelims, just freaking awesome.

Madison beating SCV. I was just on natural drugs because of Madison's horn line, especially Chris Metzger, but thoroughly blown away by SCV's drums. Del came in third ahead of Devils, and I believe Polish Falcons were 5th. The whole thing was just an incredible experience and hooked me for life.

1977, playing after midnight and almost having to walk right out of my stuck in the mud shoes, then losing to Optimists, my brother's corps, when we wanted so much to win that show. We were in striking distance and it would have turned our season around.

Did I mention the rain?

Regards,

John Swartz

Edited by sarnia sam

The eagle has landed.

It's wet and looking for shelter.

1977, playing after midnight and almost having to walk right out of my stuck in the mud shoes, then losing to Optimists, my brother's corps, when we wanted so much to win that show. We were in striking distance and it would have turned our season around.

Did I mention the rain?

Regards,

John Swartz

Wasn't that the first time that FOUR CANADIAN corps made "OPEN" Class finals, with Seneca Optimists, Oakland Crusaders, K-W Lions Northstars and Offensive Lions(?) ALL making finals ???

Edited by ODBC

Yes, BobB, I recall the 70 Open, and actually have the CD - which sounds great - especially the crowd!

My alzheimer's prevents me from recalling your stick loss, and I DO remember the heartbreak of a great show that we took 2nd in behind Madison, who had a real good show that night!

So Bobby B single-handedly caused the Madison win that night???????

You'll never live it down - and in a Madisonesque way - "you'll never walk alone, man!"

b**bs

Playing four times in two days at the 1971 U.S. Open. (Prelims and finals in Class A with the Tri-Town Cadets of Castile, NY and prelims and finals of Open Class with the Appleknockers of Geneva, NY.