DCA televised?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if it was too much, i don't know if they'd pay. i would hope they'd step up and pony up, but i dont know.

I'd like to see a station come aboard with DCA and help to broadcast our product to the regions of our country. What station would be good? The one that would air the broadcast!!! Sure, A&E would be great because then DCA could actually start to make a living "History of Drum Corps" which they could possibly sell along with the books. It's one thing to read about the shows and the corps sizes and the moves, but it's another thing to see it.

Anyway, I'm not too much into the money aspect of tv, but it would be great to see what we do being broadcast on tv. I've seen way too much World Series of Poker, Celebrity Poker Showdown, or whatever Poker program is on tv, sure, it's fun to watch, but when are you likely to see your neighbor at the million dollar table playing poker. I guess I'm just tryin to say that we are in a sport, I don't know when playing cards became a sport.

DCA should get televised. Get the numbers by doing surveys at shows, polls on dcp, or whatever and show that the interest is there and that people will support putting drum corps on tv.

the key is finding advertisers to pay for it. DCI had none, so they footed the bill. A&E and other networks have been approached by drum corps before.....and haven't shown any interest

the key is finding advertisers to pay for it. DCI had none, so they footed the bill. A&E and other networks have been approached by drum corps before.....and haven't shown any interest

This may sound dumb, but I'll put in my idea.

What about DCA creating an online survey(they could post it here on DCP and on their home website) and see what all of us drum corps people use in our everyday lives. From the surveys they take the totals and approach these businesses and show the usage of the products and such and see if that would spark some money backing.

I'm sure that there has got to be a station everywhere that would broadcast DCA under the right contracts and such. Maybe it doesn't have to be ESPN or ABC, etc, but what about some of the more local channels. Berks County in PA(where i'm originally from) has BCTV is like a public access channel, but I do believe that the Buccaneers have at least appeared on some shows talking about the corps.

In Salisbury, where I currently am, we have CN8, it's a sister station of Comcast Sportsnet. They televise the Washington Capitals games, local college games and such when CSN is airing bigger programs.

Another thing to do, would be to go to the stations that actually covered drum corps (whether it was either dci or dca) on their news broadcasts. At the Eastern Classic for DCI, WFMZ of Allentown makes a presence and they broadcast some highlights of the show in their news broadcast. They also do a report from the Allentown Collegiate Band Show from right on the sidelines while the kids are on the field playing. WFMZ is a local station to the Allentown area and it is through ClearChannel communications I do believe. For the Eastern PA area, that would be where I would start. I'd imagine that in most places there is a station like this.

Advertising

How about the manufacturers of all the equipment, hardware and uniform involved in drum corps.

How about the towns in which we hold the contests? On a tourisum aspect. Hotels? On the whole how much money have we all spent over the years on hotels in our drum corps travels. "Only the top corps stay at Best Western."LOL

What about DCA creating an online survey(they could post it here on DCP and on their home website) and see what all of us drum corps people use in our everyday lives. From the surveys they take the totals and approach these businesses and show the usage of the products and such and see if that would spark some money backing.

I'm sure that there has got to be a station everywhere that would broadcast DCA under the right contracts and such. Maybe it doesn't have to be ESPN or ABC, etc, but what about some of the more local channels. Berks County in PA(where i'm originally from) has BCTV is like a public access channel, but I do believe that the Buccaneers have at least appeared on some shows talking about the corps.

In Salisbury, where I currently am, we have CN8, it's a sister station of Comcast Sportsnet. They televise the Washington Capitals games, local college games and such when CSN is airing bigger programs.

Another thing to do, would be to go to the stations that actually covered drum corps (whether it was either dci or dca) on their news broadcasts. At the Eastern Classic for DCI, WFMZ of Allentown makes a presence and they broadcast some highlights of the show in their news broadcast. They also do a report from the Allentown Collegiate Band Show from right on the sidelines while the kids are on the field playing. WFMZ is a local station to the Allentown area and it is through ClearChannel communications I do believe. For the Eastern PA area, that would be where I would start. I'd imagine that in most places there is a station like this.

Sarcasm ON: "Drum Corps Fear Factor". What we need to promote our activity are "Bikini-Clad...Bungi-diving...magot eating...poker playing.....(did I mention Bikini's)....extreme make-over...."....(did I mention Bikini) musicians. Oh ya......gotta have drugs ( a shoe-in for "COPS").

That should get some attention ^0^

We know we have a product that can and should sell itself but somewhere the idea of discipline and morality does not create cash flow. I know as soon as I hit ENTER I may regret this post but..........there it is.

SARCASM OFF:

Sarcasm ON: "Drum Corps Fear Factor". What we need to promote our activity are "Bikini-Clad...Bungi-diving...magot eating...poker playing.....(did I mention Bikini's)....extreme make-over...."....(did I mention Bikini) musicians. Oh ya......gotta have drugs ( a shoe-in for "COPS").

That should get some attention ^0^

We know we have a product that can and should sell itself but somewhere the idea of discipline and morality does not create cash flow. I know as soon as I hit ENTER I may regret this post but..........there it is.

SARCASM OFF:

Sarcasm ON:

Well, in the OT of this forum, there is the DCA Babes discussion, as well as the Contra-Chiks discussion B)

Sarcasm OFF.

not a bad idea, but the key here is you are taling about regional stations usually owned by the cable provider. what you risk is some areas may not get any coverage at all.

your only true guarantee of nationwide is a name, national network

I was watching "Dancing With The Stars" and had an idea. "Guard With The Stars" LOL Seriously It's just as hard if not harder to learn than ballroom dance.

Also a rocker did a reality show Tommy Lee? He was at collage and joined the band. I think he sucked but it was an interesting idea.

On the subject of a "drum corps cable channel" it could be offered as a pay channel. $10. a month.

Wouldn't that be cool?