Boston's First Camp

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I first started visiting DCP I don't think I've seen any corps have so many cheap shots directed at them as the Boston Crusaders have. I'm sure some of it is in humor but I sense some of it isn't. I don't know if it's the stories from their past or what but it seems like they are the corps people love to hate.

I got to spend a day with them while they were rehearsing in Virginia last year and they were as welcoming and friendly as any people I've meet. My daughter, who is not a drum corps fan, was totally impressed with their work ethic, talent, and sense of humor.

It was funny to hear Crusaders not native to New England teasing the ones with Boston accents. It was all in good humor and wicked funny.

Like any top corps, many of the members do not come from the city the corps is named for. That's just the way it is now. Great organizations draw from all over our country and from abroad.

If I had to start a corps tommorow and pick the three most important attributes to ensure success I would wish for the pure excellence of the Blue Devils, the ability to excite and entertain of the Madison Scouts, and finally the tenacity, heart, or iron will of the Boston Crusaders.

Since I first started visiting DCP I don't think I've seen any corps have so many cheap shots directed at them as the Boston Crusaders have. I'm sure some of it is in humor but I sense some of it isn't. I don't know if it's the stories from their past or what but it seems like they are the corps people love to hate.

I got to spend a day with them while they were rehearsing in Virginia last year and they were as welcoming and friendly as any people I've meet. My daughter, who is not a drum corps fan, was totally impressed with their work ethic, talent, and sense of humor.

It was funny to hear Crusaders not native to New England teasing the ones with Boston accents. It was all in good humor and wicked funny.

Like any top corps, many of the members do not come from the city the corps is named for. That's just the way it is now. Great organizations draw from all over our country and from abroad.

If I had to start a corps tommorow and pick the three most important attributes to ensure success I would wish for the pure excellence of the Blue Devils, the ability to excite and entertain of the Madison Scouts, and finally the tenacity, heart, or iron will of the Boston Crusaders.

Thank you. That's kind of what I was trying to say. The "Florida Crusaders of Boston" is kind of low blow. The corps, most especially the Florida kids (I being one of them) have the upmost respect for the traditions and history of the organization. I don't think anyone would be very happy if we had to be renamed the "Florida Crusaders". Also, to mention the fact that we probably have as many people from Boston as SCV has from Santa Clara, California. Tis the state of drum corps today. Still doesn't take away from what all of the corps are.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

By posting a bugus repetoire, I was just trying to illustrate the pettiness of some of the posters,and to try to end it by by being ridiculous! Bawker went one better, and had me laughing for about twenty minutes. It is now another day, and I'm still smiling at the picture and comments of the pipeline guy.....

Lordy, lord, lord.

Some asked "how's it going?". The response was more or less "none of your business." It is my business because I'm a concerned fan of drum corps in general, Boston included.

If things are going well, I'd like to know that. If they had a good camp, that would be good to know. This isn't about corpsorate (note the spelling) espionage. It's not about any one person's right or not to autocratic control of information. It's about exchange the news and views in a place dedicated to that purpose.

Don't want to tell me anything? Then don't tell me anything. No need to tell me you swore an enternal vow of silence to your master. Just keep your lips closed and your fingers crossed and leave it to anyone else who cares to offer the rest of us a few innocent words about how things are going.

Sheesh. Back on the high horse.

HH

Things are going well. The corps has actually had three camps so far, two in Florida and one in Boston. Membership, staff, and programming are all at high levels.

While I'm not speaking for the management of the corps, my guess is that they would prefer not to engage in the usual pre-season hype that SOME corps engage in. Last year, if I recall, many folks in the internet universe were predicting that Santa Clara would be crowned Drum Corps Intergalactic Champions with a score of 119.76.

I personally prefer the Bluecoats model....say very little during the winter and spring, then show up with all your guns blazing in June......

Or, the Cadets model, where you say very little all winter, spend June getting beaten by everyone but the local VFW Drum & Fife Corps, then turn it on in August and incinerate everyone else.

As for Boston, I will let you in on a secret Glory...just don't tell anyone.

They will be wearing red again.

Lordy, lord, lord.

Some asked "how's it going?". The response was more or less "none of your business." It is my business because I'm a concerned fan of drum corps in general, Boston included.

If things are going well, I'd like to know that. If they had a good camp, that would be good to know. This isn't about corpsorate (note the spelling) espionage. It's not about any one person's right or not to autocratic control of information. It's about exchange the news and views in a place dedicated to that purpose.

Don't want to tell me anything? Then don't tell me anything. No need to tell me you swore an enternal vow of silence to your master. Just keep your lips closed and your fingers crossed and leave it to anyone else who cares to offer the rest of us a few innocent words about how things are going.

Sheesh. Back on the high horse.

HH

That was just nummy. Again, I only said we're not saying anything about the show. I keep saying that the camp went well, will you please read my posts. I AM trying to tell you how the camp went, I've said it several times now!

Ummm....the Cadets release mp3 files about once a month...just an FYI