Hornline warmup Videos, YES!

I'm not against it when its done properly, but when your line is maybe barely pushing forte, and you are moving like your somewhere beyond fortisisimo...then just give me a break.

When done properly, it is really fun to watch, Spirit circa 1980 is a great example, and BD just seems to have that attitude that almost begs for the members to do it.

As for regiment - we were told that the point was to make what we were doing look effortless, and movement like that being discusses seems to reinforce that what you're doing is difficult (or am I wrong here?).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

space music is meant to be random space motifs, whether its close encounters of the 3rd kind or mars, it has nothing to do with it being a cavaliers piece or not

But didn't Richard Saucedo write Mars? :worthy:

:P

Holst? What kinda name is THAT?

lol yea you're right, holst doesnt have anything on saucedo

I've heard this on several occasions, but also was told (in '03, I believe) that the purpose of it is to create the visual effect that more noise is being produced. Whether true or not, if it can be sold to an audience, they may really think that the hornline is playing louder (especially when the music tells them to play louder in that section). I'm pretty sure there aren't any specific physical effects though. Someone should research it or something.

It's not really just a bump'n'grind.... it engages your abdominals. We do it in voice lessons and choir a few times when we need extra support (high notes, FFF, etc...) and we're not really thinking about our muscles. It just makes you conscious of those muscles you're supposed to be using, especially in situations where people are trying to "blow" harder/sing "up" to the note, etc. There is a technique to it (it's basicly a plié), but I think most people just use it as a way to look masculine and BA. I think it has the opposite effect 70% of the time, especially when they let their posture collapse. But sometimes it looks pretty cool, too.

But if you do it right, it *should* make you play louder AND correctly.... if you already have the chops and the rest of the breathing technique down. Some people probably disagree as to whether it's sound pedagogical technique, but it works for me.

If someone has any SCV warm-ups, they should definitely post them.

Edited by HornlineDiva

I wish I could've seen this live. It has to be one of the best video clips I've seen so far b**bs -but that doesn't say much, this being my first year to have ever known anything about drum corps I've really not seen much. :(

I remember seeing Star in 1994 with Canadian Brass and feeling like I had seen a form of future drum corps performance...drum corps as theater. A decade later that hasn't quite happened, though the influences are clearly apparent today. Star has certainly pushed the envelope of the art form. I just wish that they had not left the mainstream as a field competition unit in the process! :(

I'm not against it when its done properly, but when your line is maybe barely pushing forte, and you are moving like your somewhere beyond fortisisimo...then just give me a break.

When done properly, it is really fun to watch, Spirit circa 1980 is a great example, and BD just seems to have that attitude that almost begs for the members to do it.

As for regiment - we were told that the point was to make what we were doing look effortless, and movement like that being discusses seems to reinforce that what you're doing is difficult (or am I wrong here?).

I think it looks like your having fun and that you enjoy the music so much you can't help but shimmy a bit. b**bs

space music is meant to be random space motifs, whether its close encounters of the 3rd kind or mars, it has nothing to do with it being a cavaliers piece or not

Sorry, I forgot to put [/sarcasm] at the end of my post. I was just making a vein attempt at humor about he Mars comment. It's all good. B)

I agree that if it is choreographed, it's lame. But just watch the end of La Fiesta (BD '84) from the sop trio on out. There is an AWESOME field level shot of the horns marching in behind the trio, and when they "park and bark" there's not a one standing up straight.

And it did nothing to harm their sound....

^0^

End of the show 1984 - Click on the picture...oh...and that's Gino Cipriani on the left.

We were never told to "lean back" or do whatever. It was just spread the legs, big breath, blow, watch the crowd, and listen to the roar when the horns come down.

We weren't thinking about leaning back or doing whatever.....we were just in the moment.

The only thing we didn't do, or weren't allowed to do, was something we called the Madison Pelvic Thrust. Some of those guys were out of control. I remember one tape that Sandra Opey did and she caught somebody in our line doing the Pelvic Thrust...."There's a euphonium over here....4th from the end on the 30 doing obscene things...".

We laughed our ##### off listening to that.....

Edited by bd5times