Hornline warmup Videos, YES!

I have heard it called Mojo, Pressing, Flexing... we did it at S-Dub but rarely... we had to REALLY be cranking to let it go.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In every corps I've marched, any utterance of 'The Word' was always followed by an unfortunate event of some sort. Use at your own risk... :sshh:

I've called it "body English", and it's overused by instructors that have no clue how to teach it nor apply to the suitable moments in show, ESPECIALLY in marching band. Wo be unto a band that does that crap when I'm judging Visual GE and there's not an extra pop to the sound, or they do it in the middle of "Swan Lake" or something totally not calling for it. I've seen corps do it when they shouldn't either. And my take on the BD warm up video was that it looked odd when only two bari's were doing it at first. I thought actually they were falling down.

Edited by Ryan H. Turner

With "it" being said like 2 or 3 times now. This thread is going to get in a bus accident. No doubt. :-P

Edited by cheezedogg 23

With "it" being said like 2 or 3 times now. This thread is going to get in a bus accident. No doubt. :-P

Haha, or maybe just three of them headed to its first show. :P

It's called "flexing" as explained to our corps by BD Alum Roland Garceau. I guess it gets you a little extra air through the horn or something to that effect.

I think it's more of a psycological thing than anything...if you bend you actually may bend the airway and actually restrict airflow.

I used to have a Suncoast shirt from the early/mid 80s that had a flugel player in profile, leaning back into a note....I was told that it was controversial at the time because SS did not do that in show.

I was told by older Regiment members that it just wasnt' our style. I can't imagine it does anything for the actual sound. Seems just visual to me. The best was watching the "great" BD hornline doing it on the 94 video as the camera swept through the horn arc only to hear a lead sop frack more than once trying to hit the top note of the warm up. You can shimmy and shake all you want, but don't miss.

Mojo.

Mojo Mojo Mojo Mojo Mojo

MOJO

It's just a word right? What is the problem everyone seems to have with it?

Mojo.

Mojo Mojo Mojo Mojo Mojo

MOJO

It's just a word right? What is the problem everyone seems to have with it?

That's what I said until bad #### always happened when someone said it. Although.....some people said it this past year (Mike Macintosh included), and I don't recall anything happening. At Magic though, something always did.

I think it's more of a psycological thing than anything...if you bend you actually may bend the airway and actually restrict airflow.

I've heard this on several occasions, but also was told (in '03, I believe) that the purpose of it is to create the visual effect that more noise is being produced. Whether true or not, if it can be sold to an audience, they may really think that the hornline is playing louder (especially when the music tells them to play louder in that section). I'm pretty sure there aren't any specific physical effects though. Someone should research it or something.