• Suncoast Sound
    • Spirit of Atlanta
    • Star of Indiana
    • Other - I'll add a comment.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not even on the poll huh.....?  We love to be underestimated!

Underestimated ???? How many guard titles do you have ?? how many top three finishes in guard do you have ?? I'm sorry, but those Wigs of 2000 were silly..and the costumes (every year) ??!!?? Yikes !!

~G~ :P

.....tsssssssssssssssssss.........yes we have no titles ....but I have faith in our kids...were finally cleaning up our tragic messes of the past.......check your attitude sweetie...

Ummm, my attitude is fine, just wondering what criteria you are using for the "we are underestimated" statement ??

All the guards listed have title, made inovations, and are known for something related to guard, guardwork..etc, etc.

The Glassmen guard, (not sure what years Sal Salas is/was there) never really stood out, Glassmen aren't "known" for their guard.

If anything, the costuming, staging, and desing of the guard takes away from the total concept G-men are trying to create....94 Guard though was very nice

also the 1983 Guard !!!

~G~

....to follow up on the Glassmen guard. I recently watched the 92 prelims and I must say that they(the guard) handled their sabres rather well.....The purple dresses were quite cumbersome, but the handling of the equipment was very nce.

~G~

• 3 weeks later...

It's hard to pick a best ever, because like the rest of the activity, what color guards do on the field has evolved over the years. Guardsmen 1979 and 27th Lancers 1979 and 1980, and Cavaliers 1980 are a few of the best. I really liked what the Cavaliers and Cadets did last year.

I voted for Cavaliers because, of all the guards on the list, IMO they've been the best over the years, in both weapons and flag, integrated with body work. That's remembering back to the '70s and '80s, when their winter and field guards were so good. In my recollection, they've never really let down since I began watching them in the late '70s, though their work--especially on flag--was becoming a bit dated in the '80s . . . till their "Planets" show. Then they developed into a really fine contemporary-style color guard, a trend they've continued to develop and refine since then.

However, I'm surprised 27th Lancers isn't on the list. They're the first guard that comes to mind whenever I think of "best DCI color guard."

• 2 weeks later...

There were so many awesome guards in the 80's. The Cadets West Side Story was such a great show. Such an example of what a guard can do when everything (instructors, music and talent) all come together...

The Glassmen? I marched in the 80's with Suncoast. And cant even remember one thing that the Glassmen did. Sorry....