• Cavaliers
    • Madison Scouts
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Suncoast Sound
    • Spirit of Atlanta
    • Star of Indiana
    • Other - I'll add a comment.

I voted for the Cadets for the long haul.

However, I loved Crown's and the Blue Devil's guards this past season.

And I always felt in the late 80's-early 90's that the Phantom Regiment had the classiest guard on the field.

Mike

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for the Cadets for the long haul.

However, I loved Crown's and the Blue Devil's guards this past season.

And I always felt in the late 80's-early 90's that the Phantom Regiment had the classiest guard on the field.

Mike

I'm sure Mike Cesario's brother would love that comment about Phantom's guard. I agree, they have had some of the "classiest" guards to perform on the field.

CNAL

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting poll choices.  

Rather than selecting individual corps, I think you can look to individual instructors and find something interesting.

For the Cadets, the roots run back to the 27th Lancers with Zingali, Bonifiglio, Twiggs and then those that were taught by them (April G. for example) etc....  

For Blue Devils the roots of those great guards, run back to the run of Championship level guards in Atlanta in the 80's with Tam Easterwood, Sal Salas and BD's current instructor, Scott Chandler.

Cavies, though I'm not as familar with their program have had Bruno in place for many years and various and asundry of their alums come through teaching as well.  

The Crown guard is one that is taught by an alum of Scott Chandler's guards in Atlanta and I believe he may have also marched Cadets or Devils as well (not sure which?) Michael Shapiro

For consistency, in the long run, I'd have to give the nod to Scott's groups.  9 (I think that's right) DCI High Colorguard trophies in the last 17 years (that's more than everyone else COMBINED during that time) and if you move into the WGI realm, he was the designer and instructor for the WGI World Open Class Champion 17 consecutive years.  Can't even begin to get into his HS credentials, but I've seen his guard at Logan and they've won the last two years I believe in WGI's High School Open class as well.  

An incredible run for ANY one person.

Plus he's just a good guy!!  

Later, AA

Interesting poll choices.  

Rather than selecting individual corps, I think you can look to individual instructors and find something interesting.

For the Cadets, the roots run back to the 27th Lancers with Zingali, Bonifiglio, Twiggs and then those that were taught by them (April G. for example) etc....  

For Blue Devils the roots of those great guards, run back to the run of Championship level guards in Atlanta in the 80's with Tam Easterwood, Sal Salas and BD's current instructor, Scott Chandler.

Cavies, though I'm not as familar with their program have had Bruno in place for many years and various and asundry of their alums come through teaching as well.  

The Crown guard is one that is taught by an alum of Scott Chandler's guards in Atlanta and I believe he may have also marched Cadets or Devils as well (not sure which?) Michael Shapiro

For consistency, in the long run, I'd have to give the nod to Scott's groups.  9 (I think that's right) DCI High Colorguard trophies in the last 17 years (that's more than everyone else COMBINED during that time) and if you move into the WGI realm, he was the designer and instructor for the WGI World Open Class Champion 17 consecutive years.  Can't even begin to get into his HS credentials, but I've seen his guard at Logan and they've won the last two years I believe in WGI's High School Open class as well.  

An incredible run for ANY one person.

Plus he's just a good guy!!  

Later, AA

I agree with you about Scott. He worked with the Bridgemen in '82. That was the year they had girls dancing on tables.

CNAL

Overall id give the Cadets a slight nod over Devs, but its very close.  The difference is probably that i dont like how BDs guard does a lot of "hop, skip, and jumping" around.  While they are masters at dancing on the field, they just do a little too much of that other stuff.  Oh, and how about Moondance last year?? The Cadets dancing was sickeningly good there.  I also liked the new Commas.  They looked pretty cool when they were spinning them, like the beginning of Farandole

I would put Cavies guard into that top tier as of late too, however i dont think they compare to Cadets/BD.  There are just too many individual errors (especially in 2000!  HOW did they win guard?!)

And ill second everything thats been said about Carolina Crown's guard.  They are nothing but amazing and they DO NOT get the credit they deserve.  They got what?  7th or 8th in guard last year?  Their work is crazy and they perform the #### out of it...seems underrated to me.

Crossmen have been building up a great guard program too.  Their silk work is almost always appealing to me, especially Firedance.

I think Santa Clara's guard has been underrated the past 3 years.  Their work is so unique and distinctively different from that of the Cadets, BD, and Cavies.  Their flag work is SO aggressive (ie, Alarm, the end of New Era Dance, the end of Stained Glass)  its just fun to watch, and i think that they have done the best job of using body movement and dancing in recent years. I just think their placement has also been off the past 3 years, ESPECIALLY in 01 (4th, 4th, 6th).  To me, 2000 is the epitome of integrating guard into a program and really using them to portray your message and emotions.  Plus the weapons line in 2000 was #### good!

Oh, and the guards that i use to "define" how a guard should perform would be either Cadets 95 or 96.  These guards could dance, they could spin, they had difficult work and were perfect on it.  They are the definition of execution and performance.  They are the standard that i hold other guards up to now.  #### they were good!   :P

Not even on the poll huh.....?  We love to be underestimated!

Underestimated ???? How many guard titles do you have ?? how many top three finishes in guard do you have ?? I'm sorry, but those Wigs of 2000 were silly..and the costumes (every year) ??!!?? Yikes !!

~G~ :P

Not even on the poll huh.....?  We love to be underestimated!

Underestimated ???? How many guard titles do you have ?? how many top three finishes in guard do you have ?? I'm sorry, but those Wigs of 2000 were silly..and the costumes (every year) ??!!?? Yikes !!

~G~ :P

.....tsssssssssssssssssss.........yes we have no titles ....but I have faith in our kids...were finally cleaning up our tragic messes of the past.......check your attitude sweetie...