DCI Finals Attendance Figures

I do wonder about all the kids in non-finalist corps who are in the stands. And about how many more corps there were 10-20 years ago. I wonder if that affects the percieved attendance in any substantial way.

Agreed. I also wonder if a large percentage of the crowd is made up of family of corps members. More corps = more kids = more friends/family during finals week. That equals more finals attendees "back in the day". Just a variable to consider.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take it for what it is, but I had conversations with two different DCI directors who gave me the same number for Miami in 1983. A little less than 8000 paid. A big reason why DCI never returned. And this was the summer after the Overtown riots and with the Orange Bowl just a couple miles away may have scared off a lot of folks. That was a very turbulent time in South Florida. Just before the South Beach fashion model scene began.

Take it for what it is, but I had conversations with two different DCI directors who gave me the same number for Miami in 1983. A little less than 8000 paid. A big reason why DCI never returned. And this was the summer after the Overtown riots and with the Orange Bowl just a couple miles away may have scared off a lot of folks. That was a very turbulent time in South Florida. Just before the South Beach fashion model scene began.

Want to know just how much it was <<Just before the South Beach fashion model scene began>>? I stayed on South Beach, right across the street from the ocean, in a pretty decent hotel for just $17 per night. The building is now an extrememly expensive condo complex.

I've heard these anecdotal figures as well, but I'm looking for the actual paid attendance figures. Rough estimates of butts in the seats are nice, but I'm looking for something a little more concrete if anyone has it.

Michael Boo - you have an inside track to the info? Nothing but dead ends for me so far.

Thanks.

Why not send an e-mail to Dan? I don't know the numbers myself but Dan has always been very upfront. I wouldn't be too surprised, though, if there are some of the more distant years where records weren't kept.

Paid attendance figures are the only potentially accurate numbers. No one counts exactly how many kids from the non-finalist corps are let in to watch the finals, so there's no way to tally "total attendance".

actually, doesn't DCI have to issue the wristbands? just count how many were given out

Why not send an e-mail to Dan? I don't know the numbers myself but Dan has always been very upfront. I wouldn't be too surprised, though, if there are some of the more distant years where records weren't kept.

Can you tell me how to contact Dan directly? I sent an e-mail to DCI a few weeks ago, and have not heard anything back.

Thanks.

Something to keep in mind is that the old competition format was just preliminaries and finals. Now I would bet that many fans (myself included) go to either quarterfinals or semis and not finals since the chances of getting a good seat are better at the other shows. In the old days there was more of an emphasis on the finals show as the main event.

This is just an fyi to the original poster Jackson, MS. is the correct abbreviation for MS.

Not MI, that sounds like "Michigan" to me... :P

This is just an fyi to the original poster Jackson, MS. is the correct abbreviation for MS.

Not MI, that sounds like "Michigan" to me... :P

..........and there is a Jackson, Michigan!!! b**bs