Parental trouble

I had a similar experience as well. (Notice, at the bottom of the page, the years I marched in Regiment) I got into a pissing match with my mom over marching in 93. She didn't want me to miss out on school that year, and insisted we (I) couldn't afford the cost. This was all "decided" prior to the November camp. However, I still went up for the banquet. Seeing everyone again and being in the middle of it all, I just about went crazy. I told Dan Farrell my situation and asked if I could come back on an interim basis (or something silly like that). Naturally, "nope" was the answer. (As Yoda would say, "Do or do not. There is no try.") So, like any good son would do, I paid the fee, grabbed a horn and said "I'm in." For the record, I got to play the 93 show for three days.

When I got home, there was "heck" to pay, and a pretty good argument ensued. In the end, I decided I had to pick my battles, and gave in. Was it the right call? Don't know for sure. In the end, probably yes. Like you, I still lived under their roof and, despite having a part time job, pretty much relied on their entire support to get by. Honestly, I couldn't complain. My parents were very supportive throughout my drum corps years. They were as enthusiastic as any, going to as many shows as they could, paying my way to fly to Rockford dozens of times, and all the other little and not so little things that go along with being a drum corps parent. I would have hated to have caused a serious rift (as this might have) and wasn't quite ready to move out and be completely on my own. So, I backed off. And called the director to apologize and say, "see ya in 94."

I did my best to keep up with the corps over the summer and got to see them in Dallas. They rocked (despite a near show-ending tear during Fire--I think Nikk mentions it on his website). I watched their finals performance live, on PBS (remember the good ole days?...). It both elated and nearly killed me to see it.

As you might guess, I still sometimes have a regret or two about that missing year. But, in the end, I feel I made the right call. You'll just have to ask yourself which is worth more to you-- this summer or getting along with your parents. Besides, if you're lucky like I was, you'll probably have other years where you can march (and may not be so dependant on their help).

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like they are having that empty nest thing going on. My parents let me march corps the summer before I went to college in 85 and the first year my Sister marched in 87. Hey I'd be nervous to let my kids go touring across the country too. They just need to let go a little. :( :worthy::peek::music: :sshh:

If I were you, I'd get them to march Senior Corps with you. They will get the bug and probably make you go tour with a Div I Corps. :peek:

Edited by Kansan

Those are all great stories. Drum Corps is not just an activity that kids get involved with. It is an opportunity to bring kids and their parents closer through the controlled maturation of their children on a drum corps tour. If absence makes the heart grow fonder, drum corps tours make sense. Being away for a long time might be difficult for Jonathon's Parents. However, he is a class act and truly is looking for a way to make this work. When he typed me the message that said he wasn't going to be able to march Teal, I could feel the pain he was going through. We have been communicating for a few weeks now and I have learned that he is a committed, focused young man. He probably got that from his parents and they are just doing what they think is best for their child. From what I have witnessed they are committed, and focused as well. I hope it all works out for him and his parents in the long run. But, if they give him the OK to march this year (through some miracle) we (Teal Sound) will be there to help him make that happen. And, if they want to volunteal to see what it is all about, we will be glad to put them to work. Trust me, we can always use more people to help out at camps and on tour.

Dennis

We encouraged our daughter to march LVK when she was 14...well actually, we took her to a camp, encouraged her to stay the weekend, and we snuck out and left when she wasn't looking...This coming summer will be her fourth year....2 with LVK and 2 with Jersey Surf...I don't think she can imagine summer without corps now...

Of course things are a bit different with us...my wife and I have been drum corps fans since the 70s...so there was no learning curve for us....

Good luck and keep trying, but don't push it....and PLEASE don't play the, "I'm 18 I can do what I want now" card....it hurts more than helps...even if it does get you to march...

Good stories and ideas everyone, thanks. If I really for sure can't do it this year, I'll be taking them to at least 1 show. I'm not planning on majoring in music, but it is a real passion of mine, and I will have to try to show my parents just how much this means to me.

I'm with James Dawson above...the CorpsVets are right there in Atlanta and would give you an excellent beginning in drum corps. Travel would be minimal, which from what you said is among their biggest reasons for refusing to let you do Teal Sound. As a parent, I'd have a hard time letting my high school child drive great distances for something that I have no clue what it is about (and a lot of that has to do with how well you've "proven" yourself as a responsible person to your parents, and that is something that no one in this forum can evaluate...only your parents can do that). You HAVE to educate them AND be understanding of their feelings at the same time. Break them in gently...march CorpsVets...get your feet wet with a much less stressful touring schedule which would certainly help to loosen your parents up.

BTW...if you are a high school senior, why would you miss any school? Rehearsals are on weekends and summer all day rehearsals begin after school is out. If your school ending and summer rehearsals conflict, the corps SHOULD allow you to finish school with no problems. I don't know of any corps that would take a stand against school conflicts, especially a senior finishing his last few days.

I'm a bit curious though...if you argue with your parents that the closest Jr corps to Atlanta are 3, 5, and 7 hours away, you are incorrect, and if they do any research, within a matter of minutes they'd find that you were lying to them. Spirit is indeed the closest Jr corps, which is an hour and a half to two hours MAX from Atlanta...even if you live in Jonesboro or on the east side (and if you live on the West side, you can make it in an hour or so). Crown is in Fort Mill, SC, which is around a 4 hour drive. Appalachian Sound rehearses in Bristol, TN, which is over 5 hours away...I don't see how that is a good "possible alternative". It might save you money, but the cost of travel expenses would surely offset the difference in the cost of membership. And your chosen corps, Teal Sound is in Jacksonville, FL...a 5+ hour trip.

So, your chosen corps and your back up are the two furthest from you inside your own region!

Now, if Teal Sound is just the corps that you simply MUST march, then that's another story and I'm all for following your drum corps dream, but I don't get that feeling from your post. Sorry if I'm wrong.

As for Spirit, one thing that can help sway a parent is that it is an official part of Jacksonville State University. You rehearse on school campus and even get college credit for partcipation. And knowing that the director of the corps is the head of music for the school puts a lot of parents' minds at ease.

However, to repeat my earlier opinion... I'd go with CorpsVets. A great corps and less travel.

Edited by ssorrell

I didn't do so well in my senior year and was supposed to go to summer school although I had been with 27th Lancers since the fall. One week before tour, my parents made me quit to do summer school, so the day we left for tour, I "ran away" from home. I had just turned 18 so it really wasn't running away but it felt like it. I have no regrets in doing that.

Oh by the way, not only do I have my HS diploma, I have a Master's degree as well.

Crown is in Fort Mill, SC, which is around a 4 hour drive.

actually, about 5and a half - 6 hours.

~>conner